PDA

View Full Version : This Months Tool List... WOW!

Jim Koepke
07-01-2013, 2:08 PM
Those who subscribe to Patrick Leach's monthly list of tools for sale know of what I speak.

Those of you who do not are missing out.

I like to look through the list just for the educational value and knowledge of old tools.

This month parts of an estate from a man whose ancestors were also cabinet makers is up for sale.

Some of the items:

A pair of Disston #12 saws from ~1880s (sold separately and both very clean & original)

A full set of Witherby chisels (sold as set and mostly clean)

More saws, planes and other items of interest.

Not sure if it is okay to post the link here. Would likely need to ask Mr. Leach and SMC.

Let me know if you are interested and I can PM it to those interested.

The other thing I would suggest is even if you are like me and want to get everything at the lowest price it is still worth subscribing to the monthly tool lists just for the information and the pictures.

Each month it is an email with a link and sometimes comments on new sections or other topics.

jtk

David Weaver
07-01-2013, 2:30 PM
I had a witherby chisel that looked like those. It wasn't a good one, it was a later chisel that basically refused to rust. In my early travels, a buddy offered to rockwell test a whole bunch of my chisels (and some of his) and that particular witherby was about 52 hardness.

I also have earlier witherby chisels that are dark (because there's not much alloying in them) and they are just fine.

Not that anyone here is going to buy that set for users. I was disappointed with my shiny witherby parer, though!!

Those saws are super spectacular. If I was made of millions of dollars, I'd buy them to use. In 1919, a dozen #12s like those shown were $29 according to the disston catalog. I don't know how that works, though, presume that was a dealer cost? Either way, $2.42 was about the daily wage for a laborer back then, because somewhere around there, Ford boasted of doubling the daily wage to $5 per day.

Jim Koepke
07-01-2013, 3:12 PM
Those saws are super spectacular. If I was made of millions of dollars, I'd buy them to use. In 1919, a dozen #12s like those shown were $29 according to the disston catalog. I don't know how that works, though, presume that was a dealer cost?

Not sure about the pricing, but I see that in a lot of old catalogs where items are priced by the dozen.

I do know my keyboard needed a drool wipe before I go to the end of just the estate tools today.

jtk

Peter Pedisich
07-01-2013, 3:54 PM
There is a nice K-5 1/2 on there for a fair price.

Jim Koepke
07-01-2013, 4:25 PM
There is a nice K-5 1/2 on there for a fair price.

Sometimes I wish I had the money, and sometimes I am glad I can't afford to buy the things that are not really needed.

Already thinking my tool accumulation may be getting too big. Every once in awhile a tool pops up that I forgot I had.

jtk

Paul Saffold
07-01-2013, 5:32 PM
I enjoy Patrick's monthly listings and have bought a few items that were most definitely "blue collar". Like Jim, I enjoy looking at the high end items too.

Tony Zaffuto
07-01-2013, 8:20 PM
Got to the "game" late and only picked up one of the tenon saws.

Another list to watch is "The Best Things". Several months ago I picked up a #12 that was sharpened by Tom Law and never used. Cost was less than a "honey Bee" and the saw tops anything new at 4 times the cost.

Joe Bailey
07-01-2013, 8:29 PM
Cost was less than a "honey Bee" ...

less than a what?

David Weaver
07-01-2013, 8:52 PM
I think he means less than a super bee :)

Pretty sure it would be less than a super bee.

Joe Bailey
07-01-2013, 9:16 PM
I think he means less than a super bee :)

Pretty sure it would be less than a super bee.

Yeah, Gee that helps a lot David -- remind me to thank you later.

David Weaver
07-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm from the same general geographic place as tony and I still have no idea what he means.

Jim Koepke
07-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm from the same general geographic place as tony and I still have no idea what he means.

Glad it isn't just me.

Was thinking of checking ebay for completed listings on a "honey bee."

jtk

jason thigpen
07-02-2013, 7:43 PM
That was a great email today. The condition of some of those tools was amazing. I believe one of those Disston #12's had only been used once and was put back in the original paper wrapper. It's sad that a collection like that was split up. But it's great that all of these great tools are finding their way to other shops around the world.