PDA

View Full Version : Waders Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
05-12-2003, 9:18 AM
Well...another weekend has come and gone. Now share what YOU did over this weekend.

The only shop time I got this weekend was to make FIVE pens that LOML volunteered me for and I had to have them done Sunday night (she told me Sunday afternoon) that she had to have them for Monday. Well....all I have was ALMOST 5 pen kits. I had to borrow some parts from MY pen to finish the 5th pen. I made them out of some African Tulip Wood and some Kentucky Cherry that I have had for several years. Got them made, dodged more severe storms, no tornado warnings this time, just watches.

Best of Weeks....

Bob Lasley
05-12-2003, 10:06 AM
After a very long Friday.........got home from running service calls at 9:30 pm and then kept track of tornadic storms, which thankfully veered off just before they got here, until 2:00 am Saturday morning. Had more work related stuff to do Saturday morning, but alas......spent Saturday afternoon making drawings for grandson's crib. Got to actually make sawdust fly on Sunday before and after cooking dinner for the mothers in the family.

The posts for the "sleigh bed" crib are done except for mortises and sanding. Hmmm, I may have to get an oscillating spindle sander to sand those curves on the posts, or maybe a combination belt/disc sander would be more versatile, or.........I think I may have to stop by the toy store today.

Have a great week,
Bob

Jim Becker
05-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Another weekend with REAL woodworking! (Too wet to cut grass... :) ) Finished the face frame for some cabinetry due for our kitchen rennovation as well as two drawers and two sliding trays for the same.

And what's not to like about working with all the doors open?! :D

Tom Sweeney
05-12-2003, 10:21 AM
Saturday LOML, LOML jr. & me went back to the Philadelphia Museum of art to see the Degas exhibit - we went 2 weeks ago but the exhibit was sold out. Unfortunately the batteries in the camera ran out -but not before I was able to get a few shots of the Maloof rocker they have. We had a really good family day - My daughter even had to admit to a friend of hers that it was cool :D - topped off by eating way to much at an Outback steakhouse.

Sunday we all woke up late so I was the only one that made it to Church - it amazes me how long it takes an already attractive 14 year old girl to make herself presentable to the public :rolleyes: .

After Church I started a planter for a bunch of herbs I bought, planted 10 azalea plants I bought for Mom's day, planted tomatoes, worked on the planter, cut the grass, & generally worked on making the homestead look as good as I could.
I got to use my jointer, planer & TS on the planter so I actually got some shop time in. I was really trying to get the planter finished in one day - which would be a first for me - but it didn't quite happen. Oh well!

Hope everyone in the heartland & down south were safe.

Steven Wilson
05-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Well, I went to grab my overalls from my closet Sunday Morning, I was getting ready to work on a plane, when the nail they hung on fell off. This just won't do, so instead of finishing up an infill shoulder plane It was time to make some Shaker pegboard for the closet. I ended up turning 5 pegs on the lathe and then mounted them to a board (2 1/4"x32") that I hand beaded the edges on. It was a fun day. To make sure the pegs will hold, I cut a thin kerf in them and then hamered in a wedge; that and glue, it will never fail. A bit of shellac and wax to finish things off and I'll be able to mount it this evening.

keith zimmerman
05-12-2003, 11:25 AM
I got no shop time this weekend. I gave LOML all the sleep time she wanted. I watched the Ducks/Wild game and three episodes of Norm.

We had our turn at the tornados on Saturday night. One touched down 4 times on its path of destruction. The last touch down was only 8 miles from my house.

There were high winds on all day Sunday and it was cold. Only damage was to an old, long dead maple that is standing only for bird habitat. One of the tallest branches came down.

maybe next week...

keithz

John Miliunas
05-12-2003, 1:14 PM
Well, on Friday, they were predicting lousy weather for both, Sat. & Sun., so as soon as I got home Fri., I jumped on the old Deere and got the two front yards done. Saturday, of course, turned out to be a beautiful day. Loaded and ran an old electric stove to the salvage yard and took all my aluminum cans in for recycling. Got the push mower out, trimmed then back on the JD to do the rest. By evening, kinda' pooped, but had to keep on eye on the major storms. Had the family bunkered down in my computer room (safest room in the house) for over an hour while tornadoes went just to the South and North of us. Thankfully, both tornado paths literally "Y'd" off just before hitting our area, though touchdowns were within a few miles! Sunday, the weather was just plain old crappy. Good excuse to stay inside and spin up the lathe.:D Got about a dozen toothpick holders made, though the Birdseye blew out at the end of one of them, so I decided that would just be a smaller "pill box" keychain! Did the Mom's day dinner and took a little time for some R&R. Have a super week, everyone! :cool:

Jim Baker
05-12-2003, 10:11 PM
I had to work Saturday morning and clean up storm damage Saturday Afternoon. Sunday we took the kids on the "Grandma Tour" for Mother's Day.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Well, sure enough I wasted the week end trying to get the stupid sound card installed. I think I've tried about everything that can be tried and nothing seems to make Windows detect the new hardware.

However some good people here in the Creek have suggested that I upgrade to WinXP. My problem now is what to use to back up the hard drive so I can reformat for a clean install. I have Easy Cd Creator and a burner but I hated shuffling disks like a carnival huckster trying to reclaim the material that was backed up. How would I go about using another hard drive to back up to? I have two twenty gig hard drives in my puter, but I don't want to back up to either of those. I would like something I could add and remove to back up or recover.files.

John Miliunas
05-12-2003, 10:50 PM
Don, without a Network to backup data to, you are left with a number of choices, two of which you already have, but prefer not to use. OK, that's cool. That basically leaves you one of two choices. One is to get an outboard tape drive. They have some today which have very large capacities, but with a couple caveats. For one, the good ones are NOT cheap and, even the good ones are still markedly slower than a Network or another hard drive. That brings us to the other choice. An outboard IDE hard drive enclosure. A quick looksie brought me to this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=I136-1032

Now, you still would need a hard drive to stick in it, but they're pretty cheap nowadays. You could easily get one which would back up the entirety of both your drives. The enclosure is hooked up via USB, making it "friendly" for 98 and XP. You can choose to let it "live" on your main machine or hook it up as needed or even give you the ability to travel with it from machine to machine. Still not as fast as something right in the machine (as your second HDD) but not bad.

One other option is to have a removable drive enclosure, which resides in one of the 5-1/4" bays on your machine. The possible problems with that is, you may not have a bay available and, if you have 2 HDD's plus a CD-ROM and CDRW, you already don't have enough on the existing IDE chains left. Plus, even if you do have the room, the availability of the drive would be restricted to just that machine, unless you installed more removable bays on other machines. Also, another internal/removable drive may start putting additional strain on your power supply. The above external unit has its own 25W power supply. OK, I'm starting to ramble. I'll shut-up now. :D :cool:

Terry Quiram
05-13-2003, 8:12 PM
Got the yard mowed and some shrubs removed then the storms moved in. Like Keith says tornadoes in the area. However, unlike Keith the town I live in lost power Sat night and didn't come back on for another 60 hours. Spent Sunday in a very quiet house catching up on some reading.

Phil Phelps
05-13-2003, 9:22 PM
....I planted and slaved in the stinkin' yard all weekend and saw the tail end of the golf tournament, as I predicted. :mad:
But, Monday I did the real thing. Even par after 14 holes. Then the wheels fell off, and I limped in seven over. Ouch

:eek:

Steve Clardy
05-13-2003, 9:37 PM
in my shop. Span of 40 feet. Got three of them jacked up in place and rebraced correctly. Jacked 1 of them up 5 inches. Lots of creaking and popping, but got them up. Really wish I knew the idiot that built this building, I would tell him what I think about his building practices.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-14-2003, 7:39 PM
Originally posted by John Miliunas
. A quick looksie brought me to this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=I136-1032

Now, you still would need a hard drive to stick in it, but they're pretty cheap nowadays. You could easily get one which would back up the entirety of both your drives. The enclosure is hooked up via USB, making it "friendly" for 98 and XP.

Thanks, John. I like the USB hook up idea. Guess I'll try that route.

Jason Roehl
05-14-2003, 8:19 PM
. A quick looksie brought me to this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=I136-1032[/quote]

Originally posted by Don Henthorn

Now, you still would need a hard drive to stick in it, but they're pretty cheap nowadays. You could easily get one which would back up the entirety of both your drives. The enclosure is hooked up via USB, making it "friendly" for 98 and XP.

Thanks, John. I like the USB hook up idea. Guess I'll try that route.

It is important to note that the link above is pointed to USB 2.0, not the widely-used USB 1.1 standard that most computers currently have. Just thought I'd point that out...

John Miliunas
05-14-2003, 11:37 PM
"Just thought I'd point that out..."

And good point it is, Jason! Nice catch and you're right. If it's a bit older unit, it may not be USB 2.0 compliant. That being the case, it may be worth the installation of a USB 2.0 I/O card. Fortunately, these are quite inexpensive, too. You can pick oneup through Pricewatch for instance, for under 15 bucks. It's getting so dern hard to keep up with all the advancing technology! :cool:

Jim Becker
05-15-2003, 9:12 AM
"That being the case, it may be worth the installation of a USB 2.0 I/O card. Fortunately, these are quite inexpensive, too. You can pick oneup through Pricewatch for instance, for under 15 bucks.

Absolutely a good investment. While I bought my 5-port USB 2.0 card awhile back, it was still worth the expenditure...I had far too many problems with external USB "hubs" and the like.