PDA

View Full Version : Don Henthorn Chair Question

Dennis McDonaugh
02-17-2003, 3:08 PM
Don, I'm not sure what the parts of the chair are called so bear with me. I want to make a simple oak ladder back chair, sorta in the arts and crafts style. I'm thinking of two tall back posts (with a square or slightly rectangulat cross section), angled back slightly beginning at seat level and two similar posts in the front. The seat would be supported by four cross pieces (one on the front, one on the back and one on each side) connected to the back and front posts with M&T joints. Here's what I'm concerned with at this point: Will the back posts be strong enough when two mortises are cut into the post, one from the side and another from the front? Also, I'm thinking of making curved ladder backs by soaking the wood for a couple of days, then placing it in a drying rack to put a curve in it with about a 6' radius. Thanks

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
02-17-2003, 8:25 PM
Denis, I can understand your concern about the weakness of the back posts where the seat supports join. This is a weak point on most chairs. However since you will be using rectangular tenons instead of round ones the post will still be pretty sound. Chairs are usually broken at this joint by really large people who try to tip the chair and lean back. Anything can be broken by abuse. From your description I wouldn't worry about it. The curved rails can be steamed or soaked and then bent on forms. I prefer steaming because it takes the wood less time to recover. If the rails are 1/2" to 3/4" thick then I would laminate them rather than steam bend them. Hope this helps.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-17-2003, 8:57 PM
I'm going to build a prototype out of poplar this week so I can check out the measurements and make the jigs. I'll let you know how it goes.