PDA

View Full Version : Question about centers on a homemade treadle lathe

Andrew Fleck
07-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Hello all,
I decided to make my own treadle lathe because it looks like a fun project. I haven't used a lathe since shop class, but I am intersested in making some lamps and I wanted to give this type of lathe a try. Here is a link to the page. http://www.vintageprojects.com/machine-shop/wood-lathe-treadle.html The problem I am having is that the plans call for a standard drive center and tailstock center that attach by sliding over 1/2" steel shafting and are held in place by set screws. The plans show how this works. I can't find these type of centers. Do any of you know where I can find them? I have been searching the internet without any luck. If anybody knows a better way to do this I am all ears, as I don't know much at all about lathes. I don't want to dump a ton of money into it. I just want to make one that will turn small projects. Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Marvin Hasenak
07-01-2013, 12:29 PM
I see the spur drives and dead center on eBay every so often. One of the other options is have a machine shop make them. The last one is the cheapest, make them yourself. For the drive shaft change it out to a 3/4" shaft and use a Dremel and file and start shaping the end to a spur drive. For the tailstock, same thing, just shape the end of the shaft except use a grinder.

Dennis Ford
07-01-2013, 12:36 PM
I have not seen spur drive or dead centers like those before. I agree that making them or having them made are good options. Depending on what tooling you have; making them yourself would range from easy to time consuming. They do have to be perfect (or pretty) for this purpose, if you have a drill press, you should be able to make functional centers.

Ryan Baker
07-01-2013, 7:08 PM
For the drive end, you could start with something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Motor-Extension-Grinder-Polish-Buffer/dp/B000OVNQXI/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_text_y
Cut off the threaded end and grind it into a point or some other shape. You could even cut off a regular Morse taper spur and weld it onto this adapter.

The tail end can be very simple. Just use a bolt and grind it down to a point. Put it in a drill press and use a file to point it. Fix a nut into your tailstock and you could even crank it in and out for fine adjustment.

The alternative would be to make something yourself or have it made for you. I haven't seen a commercial spur that would fit a shaft like that.

Marvin Hasenak
07-01-2013, 10:26 PM
The Shopsmith spur drive will fit a 5/8" spindle. There are several on eBay up for bid. Only change to the design would be using a 5/8" spindle for the headstock. http://i42.tinypic.com/sg6f4g.jpg

Paul Williams
07-02-2013, 11:46 AM
I have a spur center like the one Marvin posted above that I would donate to the project. It is from a 1970 vintage Gilmore kit lathe. I also have a couple of screw centers that I made. One works pretty good as a drive center on small spindles. The other could be reground to make a fixed center for the tailstock. All of these fit 5/8 inch shafts. Another option would be to find morse taper adapters that would work in place of the shafts or attached to the shafts giving you the ability to use modern accessories. (Would probably look out of place on that lathe.)

Ryan Baker
07-02-2013, 9:33 PM
If you have one to fit a 5/8" spindle and you don't want to change your machine to a 5/8" spindle, you can get a sleeve at any Lowes or good hardware to make up the difference. That's less than $2. Just run your set screws through the sleeve and down onto the spindle shaft.

Andrew Fleck
07-03-2013, 9:45 AM
Thank you all for all of the advice. I'm leaning towards the 5/8" spindle. That just seems the easiest way to go.

I do have another question. My ignorance of how lathes work has me scratching my head. Doesn't the tailstock center need to spin as your using the lathe? From the plans it appears like it would remain stationary while in use. Maybe the wood spins on the point? That seems like it would build a lot of heat up to me. Or does the relatively slow speed of a treadle driven lathe negate that? Am I missing something?

Andrew Fleck
07-03-2013, 9:48 AM
Paul,
Thank you for the offer. I will gladly pay the shipping for that spur center if you would still like to donate it.

Ralph Lindberg
07-03-2013, 10:12 AM
My treadle has a 5/8 shaft on the head, that way I can use any Shopsmith compatible drive. Mostly I use a screw-center or a face-plate. For the tail it's a simple dead-center

Ralph Lindberg
07-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Thank you all for all of the advice. I'm leaning towards the 5/8" spindle. That just seems the easiest way to go.

I do have another question. My ignorance of how lathes work has me scratching my head. Doesn't the tailstock center need to spin as your using the lathe? From the plans it appears like it would remain stationary while in use. Maybe the wood spins on the point? That seems like it would build a lot of heat up to me. Or does the relatively slow speed of a treadle driven lathe negate that? Am I missing something?

It's called a dead-center. Back before live ones, people would put some wax on the tip, I don't bother for the treadle

Ryan Baker
07-03-2013, 2:05 PM
Yes. A dead-center doesn't spin. The work spins on the dead-center point. A little wax or something helps. It does get hot, and it will slowly wear loose, so you need to occasionally tighten it up a bit as it digs into the wood. Ball-bearing live centers came along later and are nicer to use, but not necessary for this type of lathe. But you certainly could rig up a live center if you wanted to do that.

Bob Bergstrom
07-03-2013, 5:21 PM
Here's a place that makes and sells. I would think he would what you need.

http://www.theunpluggedwoodshop.com/cme-handworks-inc.html

Bob Easton
07-06-2013, 9:29 PM
While you're still thinking, I'll throw in another vote for a 5/8" spindle. I used a 5/8" spindle for the head and a #2 morse taper socket for the tail. The combination gives me lots of options.

Parts list here: http://www.bob-easton.com/blog/2012/2326/
More articles about the lathe here: http://www.bob-easton.com/blog/category/treadle-lathe/

Don't forget to bring us pictures!!!