PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
07-01-2013, 9:15 AM
1 Jul 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
It's been a very busy week/weekend for me. Been putting down new flooring in the great room, hall way, and closets. I never realized just how old I was getting until I started working on this flooring.!! The older I get, the harder I find it to get up off the floor repeatedly in a single day. :)

Trim work, priming, painting, fixing door jambs, and more. I'm nearing the end of the main part, tile work done, great room almost finished, and then it's the master bedroom next.

Took yesterday to recover and now it's oncall week for me. So....what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Gordon Eyre
07-01-2013, 10:47 AM
My grandson and I built a birdhouse in spite of the 113 degree temperature. He is visiting from California and this was a chance for us to do something together.

Jamie Lynch
07-01-2013, 10:54 AM
I got started on a new bed frame for SWMBO. I've been stuck on how I want to finish it and it's been delaying the actual build. Its good to finally get started!

Shawn Pixley
07-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Another brutal work wek last week. This week is our summer shutdown, so most are off. I have a project with a fixed deadline so I will end up working most days. My birthday was Saturday and the family was going to do something nice for me & was trying to not work over the weekend, but...

SHMBO showed me a spot where water looked like it was coming through the slab in the downstairs hall. We got ahold of a plumber who does leak detection. He had the low tech equipment and also knew how the beach houses were plumbed. After moving some furniture we found the pinhole leak in the manifold in he adjacent wall. It was a combination of cathodic action and a bad installation. Got it fixed with Pex at about 10 PM. Long time to fix but low cost. Left it open to dry out before patching the drywall. I hate plumbing.

Sunday was low key and we went to a movie. On the way back, we picked up some more lumber for me to make some more encaustic "canvases" for SHMBO.

Alden Miller
07-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Finished sandblasting the base of my jointer and got it painted. Now to start reassembling it...

-Alden

Steve Kohn
07-01-2013, 6:14 PM
Another brutal work wek last week. This week is our summer shutdown, so most are off. I have a project with a fixed deadline so I will end up working most days. My birthday was Saturday and the family was going to do something nice for me & was trying to not work over the weekend, but...

SHMBO showed me a spot where water looked like it was coming through the slab in the downstairs hall. We got ahold of a plumber who does leak detection. He had the low tech equipment and also knew how the beach houses were plumbed. After moving some furniture we found the pinhole leak in the manifold in he adjacent wall. It was a combination of cathodic action and a bad installation. Got it fixed with Pex at about 10 PM. Long time to fix but low cost. Left it open to dry out before patching the drywall. I hate plumbing.

Sunday was low key and we went to a movie. On the way back, we picked up some more lumber for me to make some more encaustic "canvases" for SHMBO.

Just showing my ignorance but what is an encaustic "canvases"? And I agree with your comment on plumbing. Especially after having to tear our a newly installed vanity and the new wall behind it to fix a broken solder joint

Dale Osowski
07-01-2013, 9:28 PM
I picked up my new power head for milling and started breaking it in. 56" mill should be here next week :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lez_T3EZ_4Y

Mark Furjanic
07-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Dennis, I never figured I was getting older, I just figure I'm getting taller because the floor's getting farther away.

Jim O'Dell
07-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Well, it wasn't this weekend, but the past weekend I finished a little project for the wife. This grew out of a request from a dog show friend who has a pet food business close to us. She wanted a doggie toy box this past winter when I was out of work and knew I played around with woodworking. I quizzed her about the design she wanted, the species of wood and color of her kitchen cabinets to try to match what she had. She never got back to me, so I put this together for us. 265604 265605 I used White Oak scraps I had from building a table leaf for my parents. If I had known my wife was going to insist on the wheels, I would have lowered the bottom rung to help hide them. And she wonders why I have so many questions about how she wants the future kitchen cabinets to be built??? :rolleyes: Jim

Shawn Pixley
07-02-2013, 2:37 AM
Just showing my ignorance but what is an encaustic "canvases"? And I agree with your comment on plumbing. Especially after having to tear our a newly installed vanity and the new wall behind it to fix a broken solder joint

Encaustic is most simply a mixture of bees wax and pigment. It is usually applied to stiff substrate. I made (4) 12" x 12" substrates or canvasses of 12" square, 1/8" BB plywood with 1x2 back supports to reduce the flex.

Encaustic is sometimes called wax painting. It woks similarly to oil paint in that it mixes / blends well unlike acrylic. It can also be stripped off. One can also add other materials for a collage effect. The encaustic we made (vs. that which we bought) were mixtures of bleached bees wax, pigments, and linseed oil.