PDA

View Full Version : A little sheoak bowl...

Michael Stafford
05-22-2005, 3:06 PM
I was digging through my box of odds and ends and bowl blank bargains that I have picked up over the years and came upon this little sheoak blank and two others.

I decided to turn this one, it finished at a little above 6" in diameter and 2" tall. It is a little over 1/8" thick. I must say I have never turned any wood that I enjoyed as much as this. It cut so cleanly that the wood looked almost burnished behind the gouge. Sandpaper only roughed up the smooth finish. A real joy to turn.... :D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2005, 3:14 PM
Michael....I like the color of the wood and your design. Great bowl!

Jeff Sudmeier
05-22-2005, 4:58 PM
Michael,

I love that bowl! It really looks great. The color and form are wonderful.

Glenn Hodges
05-22-2005, 5:01 PM
Now that is one pretty bowl! The wood, the lip, and the lines of the curve all add up to a lovely piece, congratulatons. My wife looked at it and said if she was using it the lip of the bowl would keep it from slipping through her hands.

John Hart
05-23-2005, 3:20 PM
Hey Mike...I just spotted this thread..musta missed it earlier. Sounds like some great wood to work with...although I've never heard of it. Is that the natural color? I love the lip on it and the total shape. Nice!

Michael Stafford
05-23-2005, 4:54 PM
Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback. :o

John, yes this is the natural color, very orangish. It is in the casuarina genus and in Richard Raffan's box book he has pictured several boxes made from "casuarina". His are very red but have a similar grain. I sure would like to find this wood with reddish tones..... :)

Jim Ketron
05-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Wow Big Mike thats Awesome buddy
love the rim treatment and the finish is great as always.
Nice work!
Jim