PDA

View Full Version : Need some bandsaw input

Josh Bendel
05-22-2005, 3:06 PM
I finally have got the go ahead to purchase a new band saw. I知 looking for a band saw, for resawing, and other misc. bandsaw duties. I知 kind of partial to Delta but will look at other manufactures with an open mind. I'd like to stay below the $1300 mark, but I値l spend a little more if another model gets a lot of good reviews, from the experienced people of the creek. So I'm looking at the Delta's 18" 28-682, 14" 28-248. Also I read a thread about a Laguna or MM just came out with a new band saw for around 1000 clams? Just looking for some feed back.

Are the larger bandsaws mainly meant for re-saw work, or can they take a narrower blade do to some detail work? http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/confused.gif As you can probably tell I don稚 have a lot of experience with bandsaws, I do however need the capabilities to do some resawing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thomas prevost
05-22-2005, 6:03 PM
I have heard good words about the Rikon 18" $1000 + about $50 shipping from Shopcraft. It will take blades from 1/8" to 1 1/2".

I called on the MM E16 for $1000 and was told the introductory ones were sold and the regular price was $1395 when the new shipment comes in. Grizz puts out a fair 19" saw. ShopFox has a 19" for the $1000 range with local dealers. The Delta is a good saw and may have local supoprt(dealers) depending on where you live. The thing I did not like about the Delta was the tensioning adjustment was on the top. A probelm for the more horizonally challanged like me.

Jamie Buxton
05-22-2005, 6:50 PM
Josh --
SMC's Search function works very well -- much better than most sites. You can find lots of info about bandsaws by using it.

Bob Aquino
05-23-2005, 8:07 AM
Josh
I have the Delta 18" saw. A while back, I posted the review here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13094&highlight=delta+bandsaw

I am happy with the saw although I did have issues with it when I got it. Biggest bugaboo was the lousy blade they shipped with it, it couldnt cut a straight line no way, no how. Ended up with a lenox blade from Woodcraftbands.com, good folks to deal with BTW. The other thing I didn't care for was the design of the guides. For the cost of the saw, I think they could have done alot better. I upgraded to carter guides and am pretty happy with the performance now. Were I to do it all over again, I think I would give some strong consideration to one of the griz saws, the 0513 17" has gotten some very good reviews, though it has aluminum wheels. For just a few dollars more, I would look at 0511, which is a 20 inch saw with a 5 hp motor. It's on sale for 1200, add 150 to ship. I figure if you are going big, go big. As for the blades, mine can handle a 1/4" fine which is probably indicative of most of the saws that size.

Since you have never had a bandsaw before, one of the 14" saws may suit you just fine too. Put a riser block on it and you will have about as much capacity as one of the larger saws to resaw. Its your call, I lived with an older 14" delta for quite a few years and decided to upgrade to get the extra height, depth and the better dust collection afforded by the newer designs. Good Luck.

Robert Mayer
05-23-2005, 9:57 AM
Not sure if you want to save cash. Im about to purchase the 17" grizzly. right now its $873 shipped. It comes with one 1/2" blade and the fence. Im going to also get the mobile base for it, $60. Its 2 hp with a 12" rip capacity.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0513&

John Dingman
05-23-2005, 10:17 AM
I'll second Robert's suggestion.

http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/pics/jpeg288/G/G0513.jpg

When I upgrade my Bandsaw, that is the one I plan to purchase.

Good luck to you!
John

Dee Dee Martin
05-23-2005, 6:16 PM
I do all my resawing with my Minimax MM24. My sister just got the Grizzly G0568, so I've been comparing the two. I like my MM24, but that Grizzly sure is a sweet machine. It's got some things about it, that I even like better than mine.

Hal Flynt
05-23-2005, 6:32 PM
I have the 18" Rikon. I like it a lot.

You can see them at Woodcraft. Big table, 2 speed 2 HP motor, blade detensioner, good fence, 2 dust collection points etc.

I think the fit and finish is a lot better than I anticipated. I cought mine on a 10% off sale, so I paid $899 plus tax and drove it home.

Michael Pfau
05-23-2005, 7:02 PM
Josh, every tool review that is out there in the 14 inch catagory, Delta wins hands down. I have the 14 inch and love it. I would like to upgrade sometime to the 18 inch, but it won't take a mobile stand. To tall and tippy. I run my bandsaw almost everyday, use 3 different blades on it, and It has never failed me.