PDA

View Full Version : Shallow Walnut Bowl

Curt Fuller
06-30-2013, 5:46 PM
I made this for the lady that let me cut down her walnut tree last summer. She wanted a "fruit bowl" so this is as fruity a bowl as I could think of. I wanted it to be as large as possible on my 14" lathe. But by the time it quit warping and moving it ended up 12 3/4", about 2" tall. Has 4 coats of satin wipe on poly and then buffed. C & C welcomed.

Ted Calver
06-30-2013, 7:47 PM
She ought to be pleased with this piece. Great job! I still get a chuckle out of your display stand:)

Harry Robinette
06-30-2013, 8:42 PM
Curt
The wood,work and finish are all just beautiful. The lady should be VERY proud to have this in her home.Also 12" bowl will hold a lot of fruit.

Curt Fuller
06-30-2013, 10:51 PM
I still get a chuckle out of your display stand:)
I guess I ought to either make another plate stand or figure out a way to put some pants on this one.;);)

David A. Peterson
07-02-2013, 7:54 AM
Hey Curt, How about a picture of that cute 'footed stand' you are showing in the first photo? (by the way, nice job on the bowl!)

Roger Chandler
07-02-2013, 9:06 AM
Nice work here Curt. That walnut has a really dark look to it.......more than I am used to with walnut around our area, of which I have turned a good bit. Did you do anything to enhance the darkness of the color? Maybe its the minerals in the soil in your area? :confused:

Great display stand........lots of whimsey with that one! Nicely done!

Curt Fuller
07-02-2013, 9:38 PM
Hey Curt, How about a picture of that cute 'footed stand' you are showing in the first photo? (by the way, nice job on the bowl!)

The stand was actually made for a small art show I entered a couple years ago. The theme was something like "Nursery Rhyme Art". It went with a bowl and a spoon and was titled "And the dish ran away with the spoon."
Here's a group pic of the stand alone along with the bowl and spoon. The spoon holder slides over the post on top and then a top piece also slides over the post.

charlie knighton
07-03-2013, 8:12 AM
nice bowl, the stand gets the looks

Joe Herrmann
07-03-2013, 9:26 AM
Nice simple walnut bowl; I really like it--and the stand!!