PDA

View Full Version : Nothing Fancy

Calvin Williams
06-30-2013, 5:30 PM
I thought I would share my new bench I finished building a couple weeks ago. It's nothing fancy and I would love to build something a little nicer eventually but after 5 years of using a bench made of 2x4s and 2 layers of MDF for a top I thought it was about time to build something a little nicer. Lol! I built kinda a hybrid Roubo/ European/ Christopher Schwarz inspired bench which was quick and easy. It's built out of Southern Yellow Pine and has a Veritas tail vise and face vise as you can see. I tried to kept everything simple and just stuck to some traditional M&T construction. The top is also M&T'd on the base but I did not glue it to the base just in case I needed to just redo the top one day or even if I need to take it apart to move it. I made it 24" x 96" x 34" and the top is almost 4" thick which is nice. I put a simple BLO finish on it for now but I might eventually put a couple coats of Danish oil on it in the future for a little more durability. I will eventually build a tool cabinet underneath to hold all my hand tools so they are convenient and fast to access while working.

Bruce Page
06-30-2013, 6:09 PM
Very nice! The 8' length is also very nice and it looks like you have plenty of room for it.

Gordon Eyre
06-30-2013, 7:08 PM
Looks sturdy and very functional. Nice job Bruce.

Mark Furjanic
06-30-2013, 9:05 PM
Looks nice to me and I love the size.

Calvin Williams
06-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Thanks guys..... my last bench was 6' x 3' and always seemed to short and to wide. So far this one is working out well.

Andrew Hughes
07-01-2013, 12:31 AM
That's a nice bench simple and clean.I really need to make one for my living room.Its just too hot out in the wood shop.Thanks for sharing.

lowell holmes
07-01-2013, 7:38 AM
Great looking bench. I'm sure you will enjoy using it.

I'm curious about the the face vise chops (?). How did you achieve the rounded edges?

Calvin Williams
07-01-2013, 9:21 AM
Great looking bench. I'm sure you will enjoy using it.

I'm curious about the the face vice chops (?). How did you achieve the rounded edges?

Thanks....... I cut them on the bandsaw and cleaned it up at the disk sander.

Prashun Patel
07-01-2013, 9:55 AM
Nothing fancy? I'd say elegant and beautiful.

Terry Beadle
07-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Ok...so the bench is gorgeous !.... but where are the wood chips, curlies and saw dust ? This can't be real as that shop is so clean you could have a wedding in it....hoot!

Break out the tools and get some!

Really, nice bench. Kadoos to you !!

Paul Cahill
07-01-2013, 9:07 PM
Nice job. I'm with Terry...................waaaay too clean!

Paul

Paul Saffold
07-01-2013, 9:15 PM
Nice bench. Looks like you've some nice extra weight on the shelf, too.

Calvin Williams
07-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Hahahaha...... real funny guys!! I might be a little OCD on the cleaning. Lol!!! Thanks for the kind words though.