PDA

View Full Version : What Finish to Use on Basswood?

Ron Ford
06-30-2013, 4:36 PM
Hi Folks - Looking for a little more of the great advice I always get here. I just finished turning a nice little lidded container made from a 16/4 piece of basswood I was given awhile ago. It turned out very nice, and I've sanded in down to a 1200 grit so the surface is very smooth.

Any suggestions for a logical finish to apply? I won't be staining or otherwise changing it in any way, but does a first coat of sanding sealer make sense?

As always, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ron

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-30-2013, 5:35 PM
I don't use basswood for turnings but it is my favorite carving wood. I've always lacquered it but I am sure wipe on poly would work as well.
faust

Mike Lipke
06-30-2013, 6:22 PM
I use a coat or two of sanding sealer. Sand,
Then as many as you want of either wipe on poly (gloss or satin), or Antique oil finish.

Curt Fuller
06-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Another thing to consider...Because basswood is so light you might be wanting to preserve that natural blonde color. Most of the oil based polys or other oil finishes will yellow it significantly. A water based poly will give it a good finish, preserve the blonde color, and after a week or so of curing can be buffed to a nice shine. I have better luck with the brush on water based poly using a foam brush than the spray can stuff.

charlie knighton
07-01-2013, 10:10 AM
sanding sealer, sand, johnson baby powder, acrylic paint or zig pen or burning or carving, or a combination