PDA

View Full Version : Wall mural I did for my listening room.

Rodne Gold
06-30-2013, 10:20 AM
I decided to do something different for my hifi room to fit in with the music/audio theme etc.

This mural is 1.5m wide , on a baseboard of 16mm MDF covered with an oak grain formica(counter top material) as a background

The various elements were laser cut and assembled using using marine silicon as an adhesive (stops and damps any buzzes and rattles which are a problem with very low bass) I had done a small 1/2 size one for a trial to see what materials fit best with what.

I initially had intentions of actually doing the mural with quite big differences in heaights of the various elements off the baseboard , so it would act as a sort of audio diffuser and refractor of midrange and treble but it proved really difficult to conceptualise and implement so I kinda scotched that idea
The materials used are what I stock and import : various colours of perspex (acrylic sheet), mirror acrylic , engraving laminates and one or 2 formicas.

Assembly was a nightmare as its kinda like a jigsaw puzzle..but what I did was send the corel drawing of the whole thing to my Roland printer/cutter and both printed and cut the vector outlines , we overlaid the vinyl on the backboard and weeded each section and applied the material and then went on to the next piece and weeded and applied and so on , then stripped the vinyl in between the pieces.

gary l roberts
06-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Wonderful, just wonderful. The work, the choice of content and the colors. I'd say high priced, world class art.

David Rust
06-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Very artistic... I like it a lot!

Sam Murdoch
06-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Very cool :cool:!

Mel Fulks
06-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Forgive me for asking ,but, did you do the initial picture or is that a repro of something? Beautiful either way.

Greg Bednar
06-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Very nice Rodne. Picassoesque. Well done.

Mike Null
06-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Rodney

Very interesting artistically and for the use of material. Thanks for posting.

Rodne Gold
06-30-2013, 12:21 PM
I wish I was so artistic as to have done it from scratch , but it was based on a pic I had seen , this one.....

Mel Fulks
06-30-2013, 12:32 PM
A most kinetic piece,almost a movie ! Wonderful interpretation !

Keith Outten
06-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Rodne,

Very nice! Another of your thinking outside the box projects, this time turning scraps into art.

Bruce Boone
06-30-2013, 3:29 PM
Great job! I like what you've done.

Larry Bratton
06-30-2013, 5:08 PM
Beautiful! I love this kind of thing.

Chuck Stone
06-30-2013, 7:27 PM
very cool! I've done some of the 'jigsaw' things, so I know what you mean
about the nightmare. (Still got a Harley Fatboy I can't quite get the spokes
to fit right yet..) but it looks like it was all worth it.

Now I have to go try something similar.. HA!!

Vicki Rivrud
07-01-2013, 8:56 AM
Hi Rodney,
What a Great idea and it looks wonderful . . . thanks for posting the process.

Now I have to go look at our scrap bin and think about this!

All the best,
Vicki