PDA

View Full Version : Wood For Workbench Vise

Bernie Kopfer
06-30-2013, 9:56 AM
I am wondering about the use of hard dense woods for vice faces. Would it not be better to use a slightly softer wood for the vice face[s] to minimize the possibility of marring or denting the workpiece, particularly if the piece is small or made from a soft wood. Poplar or cherry are softer than maple or oak, and perhaps fir which is really soft by comparison would be better. I would rather mar the jaw face than the workpiece, and would not the "softer" wood hold the work piece more firmly? What has been your experience with different woods for jaw faces? I would appreciate the varied opinions.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.png

John Piwaron
06-30-2013, 10:43 AM
I can't speak to having used different woods for vice faces since to date I've only built one bench. I'll soon build another but it'll be made with the same wood - hard maple.

I also think you must be right. I got the hardware to make Benchcrafted vices. That hardware includes some leather to put on faces of the leg vise. So very likely you're correct.

www.benchcrafted.com Also look on the wood whisperer site for his build of a benchcrafted bench. You might find his pix of his bench showing the leather on the vise faces.

Michael Peet
06-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Yes, the leather will improve grip and protect the workpiece.

Chris Fournier
06-30-2013, 11:47 AM
I have masonite vise faces on all of my benches. If I marr them holding odd stuff I peel them off and reaplace them.

Aleks Hunter
06-30-2013, 4:28 PM
I use white pine faces on the bench vises held on with a little carpet tape. WHen they get chewed up toss them they are from scraps and cost nothing but the minute to cut them out. If I have an odd shaped piece I can rough it out to match with a chisel in another minute or two. Some nice thick leather seems like a dandy idea too.

Mac McQuinn
06-30-2013, 4:41 PM
I have a Record 52-1/2 on my bench and have 3/4" MDO on both faces. No issues w/ marring so far (5 years).
Mac