View Full Version : Bullnose brass infill plane

Dave Beauchesne
06-29-2013, 11:31 PM
I struck it good today.

Found a tool box that was supposedly brought over from England in 1906. It still has a partial label under the hand wrought handle o one side. See pic.
Inside was lots of stuff, most wellllll used, but a couple possible gems I am turning to the collective brain trust that is SMC.
First up is a brass bullnose infill, 1" wide, bevel up cutie.
P. BEGG is stamped on the infill and wedge twice ( not the owner stamp which is H. ROBERTS.
The blade is tough to read but is something along the lines of ' THOs IBROISON with WARRANTED underneath it.
Any ideas ?? The net comes up blank.
There are a bunch of moulding planes and others that are A. MATHIESON & SON
GLASGOW EDINBURGH
in the group, so Mr. Roberts loaded up before he sailed to Canada.
The last photo is of the inner lid of the box. Beautiful raised panel Mahogany.

Jim Koepke
06-30-2013, 2:41 AM
Was there a saw till under the inner lid?

Looks like a nice little bull nosed rabbet plane.

jtk

Dave Beauchesne
06-30-2013, 6:50 AM
Jim: The saw till ( in bad shape ) was in the bottom under the 4 sliding drawers that are the first 2/3 of the depth of the chest. The saws too were pretty well beat - a D8 Thumbhole ( chipped horn ) a D 12 ( broken horn ) both filed within an inch and a half on the toe, and 3 - 4 newer, well worn newer, much less desirable saws. I will, as I get time, post more pics of some other finds in the chest - of note, a pre 1900's Stanley 289, a pre 1900s corrugated #6 with a SW blade, a twin arm MATHIESON and SON grooving plane ( not sure of the exact term ) 15 or so moulding planes, 5 well worn wood planes, numerous user made ( well done ) from files screwdrivers, levering tools, lathe tools etc. , and a whole bunch of other stuff I have to wade through. The four sliding drawers are dovetailed mahogany and the top drawer has a very nice rail and stile raised panel lid that needs to have the hinges replaced / repaired. I indeed got a pile of ' stuff ' in that haul. The stuffed little rabbet plane seems to be stuffed with some type of rosewood, and the blade is in decent shape, save where the name stamp is - I am interested in its origin. Thanks - Dave B

Greg Wease
06-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Try searching for "Thomas Ibbotson".

Looks like this one: http://www.gilai.com/product_726/Brass-Bullnose-Plane-by-Thos-Ibbotson-and-Co

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-30-2013, 10:29 AM
I feel like I remember reading about how a lot of infills from the other side of the pond were user made from parts or castings, weren't they?

Dave Beauchesne
06-30-2013, 5:18 PM
Try searching for "Thomas Ibbotson".

Looks like this one: http://www.gilai.com/product_726/Brass-Bullnose-Plane-by-Thos-Ibbotson-and-Co

Greg.
Other than the wedge being smaller on mine, it looks identical!!
Thanks, I knew an SMCer would know where to start.
Dave B

Dave Beauchesne
06-30-2013, 5:23 PM
I feel like I remember reading about how a lot of infills from the other side of the pond were user made from parts or castings, weren't they?

Joshua:
Yes, I hear what you are saying, but Greg's link shows a nearly dead ringer. The name on the blade was obscured by a small rust carbuncle, so I was guessing at the name.
I will check things further when I get home to my computer.

Brian Thornock
07-01-2013, 8:02 AM
That is a very common style of infill. Norris made the A27 which is the best known of that style. Typically a brass or bronze casting with a steel sole sweated on. The later Norris' had a depth adjuster and a screw on top to help keep the wedge tightened down against the blade, since the wedges typically terminated about 1" short of the cutting edge. A great find. I'm actually about to start making a pair of A27-inspired infills (with some tweaks to my taste), so it's nice to see a little beauty like that.

Zander Kale
07-01-2013, 11:31 PM
You might be interested in this post from Konrad Sauer, about building identical looking bullnoses from rough castings:
http://sauerandsteiner.blogspot.com/2012_12_01_archive.html

Dave Beauchesne
07-02-2013, 9:11 PM
Zander: I remembered this post from Konrad after you mentioned it - Thanks! The castings he had were sure similar, and of course, he made art out of the raw material he started with. I haven't had time to look at mine too much closer, but it is a sweet little plane, sans the sweated on steel sole. Dave B