PDA

View Full Version : Small gloat.

paul cottingham
06-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Went to a garage sale yesterday, came home with a Stanley jointer plane circa 1945 or so, bottom is flat, and mouth is tight. A Yankee drill with screwdriver bits, two rachet braces, and a couple of marking gauges. Total for the haul: $10.00
best part....he was a carpenter, knew what the stuff was worth, and just wanted it to have a good home.
So my conscience is clear.
excuse me, I have to go to my shop and gloat.
pics to come.

Dave Parkis
06-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Nice!! Let me be the first...You suck.

Sam Murdoch
06-29-2013, 11:08 PM
He could see that you were needy :) - nice guy.

Winton Applegate
06-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Hey if you got too many ratchet braces and are about to turn one out in the cold. Hey there is a cooling trend coming where I am anyway. Sub nineties. There is a chance it could get down bellow sixty at night.
Not buying it huh ?
I have yet to get one but I sure want a nice brace with a real wood palm pad. I have looked on line many times and nearly bought a plastic pad brand new one but I am holding out for the real deal.
Nice home.
Lots of other well cared for and well behaved tools for it to frolic with.
?
?
You suck.

Jim Koepke
06-30-2013, 2:28 AM
I have yet to get one but I sure want a nice brace with a real wood palm pad. I have looked on line many times and nearly bought a plastic pad brand new one but I am holding out for the real deal.

Funny that one of the coveted favorites is the 2101 that has always had handles of plastics or non-wood material.

Keep looking. Since one of the distracting things for some on braces is a top pad with a wobble, you may want to buy in person. It is sometimes difficult to detect without using the brace. Sometimes just using a 16d nail with the head flat against a block of wood can help to detect it. Not sure if it is caused by a bad drop or what.

Some people like to have a matched set in the different sizes. Other people just like to have various sizes.

jtk

Tom Bussey
06-30-2013, 10:31 AM
That is a gloat to be proud of.

Tom

Winton Applegate
06-30-2013, 1:10 PM
Buy in person because of wobble. 2101 etc.
Jim,
Thanks !
I would have bought a wobbler for sure.

I used to read a couple of home shop machinist mags for years and years. The guys were (i don't recall a single gal) (though the elderly lady who owned the machine tool store in Denver sure knew her stuf; probably a machinist in WW II) . . . anyway theses guys in the mags were always recreating stuff with their home machinist shop.

My question is : has any one made a recreation of one of the best , 2101 or other, modern three or four jaw chuck type braces? I am aware of the wood and brass old style. I am thinking bent rod crank and even making the sophisticated chuck. I may have to give that a go.
I don't intend to hijack but i guess i am in danger of that, lets keep it to a link or two.

Winton Applegate
06-30-2013, 1:35 PM
Paul,
Any chance of seeing a photo of your catch of the day ?
What brand, size ect., are the braces ?

Jim Koepke
06-30-2013, 2:35 PM
Jim,
Thanks !
I would have bought a wobbler for sure.

I used to read a couple of home shop machinist mags for years and years. The guys were (i don't recall a single gal) (though the elderly lady who owned the machine tool store in Denver sure knew her stuf; probably a machinist in WW II) . . . anyway theses guys in the mags were always recreating stuff with their home machinist shop.

My question is : has any one made a recreation of one of the best , 2101 or other, modern three or four jaw chuck type braces? I am aware of the wood and brass old style. I am thinking bent rod crank and even making the sophisticated chuck. I may have to give that a go.
I don't intend to hijack but i guess i am in danger of that, lets keep it to a link or two.

Most likely not. Bending or machining a crank would be difficult at best.

Some may have made recreations of wooden braces with brass reinforcements and latched chucks.

Why spend hours of work to recreate something that can usually be found all over flea markets, garage sales and antique stores for less than $20?

jtk

paul cottingham
06-30-2013, 3:08 PM
Paul,
Any chance of seeing a photo of your catch of the day ?
What brand, size ect., are the braces ?
I will get down in the shop today, and gets some pics. Still having mobility issues after my surgery, but I'll do my best.
i don't know what kind of braces they are.

Winton Applegate
06-30-2013, 7:24 PM
Why spend all the time

Jim,
Hey these guys made their own lawn edgers. They made their own variable speed and variable stroke broaching machines too so I am not making fun. Made their own precision four jaw chucks. One CAN buy that stuff.
Why make a chair or table or dresser when one can go out and buy those which can ALSO can be found all over the flea markets, garage sales and antique stores for money.

I/we are just bent I guess.

Speaking of bent and bending and machining. It is what I do. Like you cut wood. It comes easier to me THAN cutting wood.

Why do this to an apple when one can just take bites out of it whole ? See first photo.

The answer to these and many other questions will be answered next time when you tune into :
The Psychology of The Work Shop Hermit.

Being a hermit and living way out here in The Wild Wild West I don't come across too many decent let alone seriously cream of the crop bit braces. Would you be willing to find one (seriously nice cream of the crop (by the way flaking plating that gets in my fingers pisses me off)) for me and mail it ?
I could send a certified check or money order. I am not on PayPal what have you.

Second photo the hoop is a pretty darn round 3/8 x 1 " thick steel band I bent. I slip it in a wet hat if it is one that is going to shrink up on me. That other contraption is an auto engine tilter for putting engines in cars when the transmission needs to be put on first and the whole mess snaked into place. I could have bought one but got into making one. Note olde fashioned curvy style crank arm and turned steel handle. Brass pined together rather than role pins because they are prettier. Sick huh ? And I am not that into cars; kind of OVER combustion engine cars. Dinosaurs. Not the future man.

Paul,
I look forward to seeing photos but take care of yourself first of all.
Thanks

Chris Hachet
06-30-2013, 8:50 PM
Nice!! Let me be the first...You suck.

Agreed.....but glad to see the tools go to a good home....

Jim Koepke
07-01-2013, 1:20 AM
Hey these guys made their own lawn edgers. They made their own variable speed and variable stroke broaching machines too so I am not making fun. Made their own precision four jaw chucks. One CAN buy that stuff.

Why make a chair or table or dresser when one can go out and buy those which can ALSO can be found all over the flea markets, garage sales and antique stores for money.

[snip]

I often make a chair, table or other item because the ones that can be bought do not fulfill my needs or desires.

For me, if something is easier to buy than to make I usually buy. If something is easier for me to make than buy, I usually make it.

Currently I desire to have more hollow and round planes. As of yet, my decision hasn't been made whether to buy them or make them. Time will tell as my desire grows.

If making a tool makes your day brighter that is fine. Heck, there might even be a market for 2101 crank assemblies with rosewood grip and pad. Some people with multiple 10" sweeps might be interested in acquiring smaller or larger sweeps. Your cost of making them would likely be out of my range.

I am not bothered by rust or a little flaking plating. I can appreciate a flawless finish on an old tool. Mostly those are out of range for what I want to pay for my user tools.

jtk

don wilwol
07-02-2013, 7:38 AM
you call that a "SMALL" gloat? Nice haul. Yes, you suck!