PDA

View Full Version : Storing Waterlox

Mark W Pugh
06-29-2013, 10:12 PM
OK, so I have this Food Saver that has accessories that allow one to vacuum seal canning jars. It seems to work, so far, with storing opened cans of Waterlox. However, I had a heck of a time getting a qt jar to seal the other day. Another accessory in the package is a No 1 plastic container that can be vacuum sealed.

Question. Can Waterlox be stored in plastic containers?

Thanks

Scott Holmes
06-30-2013, 11:29 AM
I have stored Waterlox in plastic containers with limited success. OK for a few weeks... a few months later it's no good. no air left in container still gelled in container ... may have something to do with the type of plastic container.

Chris Fournier
06-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Metal container and if you have a MIG or TIG welding set up give the container a shot of Argon gas, it's inert and will help keep your finish fresh for longer, not forever.

Howard Acheson
06-30-2013, 9:51 PM
Most folks do not realize that plastic is not imperious to air. That's one reason that beer and booze is not bottled in plastic. Plastic soda bottles also leak and the carbonation will be gone in a few months.

Prashun Patel
06-30-2013, 11:06 PM
There are many types of plastic, some of which are softened and dissolved by the solvent. There are flourinated or high density polyethylene bottles that do work, but they can be just as expensive as a good mason jar.

Alan Lightstone
07-01-2013, 8:30 PM
I store mine in the original container with a blast of argon.

I tried filling the dead space with marbles a few times. The can got progressively heavier, it was a pain to pour and to figure out how much was left, and then you were left cleaning the marbles at the end.

Gave up on that, and went back to Argon.

Matt Day
07-11-2013, 8:31 PM
I've had good luck with mason jars.

Or

Instead of filling the can with marbles, gently crush the can until most if the air is out and it's about to overflow.

charlie spencer
07-22-2013, 3:03 PM
I have had great success adding propane to the can and then closing. Not an answer to your question I know, but propane is cheaper than Bloxygen and heavier than air so it settles on the surface and stops oxygen from reacting.

Shawn Pixley
07-23-2013, 1:25 AM
Store mine in original container with 5 seconds of argon. So far, so good

George Gibbs
07-29-2013, 12:02 PM
I also smush the can with a piece of wood on each side and 2 C-clamps. Works good for me.

Mark W Pugh
07-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Qt jars, vacuumed sealed, working good for now. Once vacuum sealer breaks, I'll be looking for a back up plan. Thanks for the replies.

Scott Holmes
07-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Do you remove ll the air when you vacuum seal? If not, the oxygen in the remaining air will still start the reaction.

Mark W Pugh
07-30-2013, 6:57 AM
Do you remove ll the air when you vacuum seal? If not, the oxygen in the remaining air will still start the reaction.

Yes it does.