PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Club

Jerry Bittner
05-22-2005, 9:06 AM
For those who don't look down on Craftsman tools, I learned some disapointing news yesterday. The Sears sale flyer came to the house and it carried with it the announcement for Craftsman Club Days -- you know, if you are a member, you geta ten percent discount on all Craftsman tool purchases during "club days."

Well with the K-Mart buyout/merger whatever, the Crafstman Club Days' rules have changed. They tell me that the 10 percent is only good for the items listed in the sales flyer -- NOT everthing in the store as before.

Well that sucks, I was looking to buy some clamps but since they were not in the sales flyer, no discount, no purchase.

I e-mailed Customer Service and complained and pointed out that Home Depot's 10% off coupon had no restrictions. Maybe if enough of us complain, they'll change.

Tom Hood
05-22-2005, 10:25 AM
My local Sears told me the new policy has been in effect for 3 months now. For items over $20 I tell them I don't want the item and they use their discretion to take 10% off. Kind of a game of chicken at the register, but I agree on small things you're stuck. I didn't tie it to the Sear -K-Mart merger, but if true, it is an ominous sign for the future. Guess I'll be spending more time (and money) at the borgs.

Tom

Tony Falotico
05-22-2005, 11:26 AM
The sales folks at the local Sears in Lake City act like the discounts come directly out of their paychecks, I have had very little to no success getting the discounts many of you have talked about. :mad: Craftsman club or not, it's like pulling teeth, I have walked out without purchasing many times. I have brought copies of some of your gloats to the manager, he simply states that they are against Sears policy, no we can't do that, that they are happening in other geographic Sears districts, but 'WE are no allowed to do that in our district'. I've had better luck at other out of town Sears stores, but not like many of you talk about.

Bart Leetch
05-22-2005, 12:30 PM
I shopped in Sears for the first time in quite a while the other day & purchased 4 standard screw drivers in the size I use the most for $2 apiece. As a rule I don't shop at Sears. The last time I used my Craftsman club card was when I purchased the Contractors table-saw with a bogus arbor.

Now that I have changed over to other merchants to acquire my tools & started purchasing things like my older Delta cabinet-saw I smile a lot more when I'm in the shop. I still have some Craftsman tools in my shop & will use them until they wear out. Then I'll have to decide which brand of tool to replace them with.

Dale Rodabaugh
05-22-2005, 2:30 PM
I have been a Craftsman Club member for quite a few years.It was a pretty good thing to get the 10% off now and then.Lets face it Sears stuff aint that cheap.Without the discount I will buy somewhere else.Where I live the Sears store is the only place within a few miles that sells tools.I will probably continue buying wrenches,sockets,etc.at Sears because they have quality hand tools at a reasonable price,but for woodworking tools I will drive the 100 plus miles to Hartville Tool.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Jeff Sudmeier
05-22-2005, 4:57 PM
This is bad news! I work for a sears company and was not aware of this. I too have purchased many tools during the 10% off days.

I feel this will be back, but we will see.

Keith Hall
05-22-2005, 7:50 PM
As of the March CC days, only the items show in the CC booklet are available for a discount, and only for the amount shown in the book. This restructuring of policy was done before the merger. However, if you shop at Sears.com, or buy thru the catalog, all items that formally recieved the 10 percent discount will continue to receive the discount. Have your CC number at the time of either purchase. Also, save your receipt from any Sears purchase, as you will need it for any exchanges or warranty service.

aurelio alarcon
05-23-2005, 2:49 AM
I just bought some stuff on line during the saver days, and I got the ten percent off. I think. I better check it out. Thanks for the post!

aurelio alarcon
05-23-2005, 3:03 AM
I just checked, and I got my discount. All 10 % of it. Maybe the discount will continue on line. Only one of the items that I bought was from the flyer.

Dale Rodabaugh
05-23-2005, 5:42 AM
Problem with that is you have to pay a hefty shipping charge.:mad: :mad: :mad: There goes your 10%savings.

Matt Meiser
05-23-2005, 7:49 AM
Also, save your receipt from any Sears purchase, as you will need it for any exchanges or warranty service.

I hope they aren't going to require this for the warranty on the lifetime hand tools. Might as well buy them at Wal-Mart if that's going to be the case. Who's going to have the reciepts for all their old hand tools?

I gave up on Sears a while ago for anything but hand tools--too many disappointments and too many proprietary accessories. Seems like the newest tools are better, but they are going to ruin any chance at success with high prices and increasingly anit-customer service.

John Miliunas
05-23-2005, 8:24 AM
With very, VERY few exceptions, I hate buying anything from Sears, including their hand tools. They are NOT real high quality and only have the "advantage" of getting replacements through their "lifetime warranty". But, in the final analysis, I use certain hand tools to accomplish a certain job. If that hand tool fails in the course of that job, the "lifetime warranty" is of little consequence while the job at hand lays spread out over my assembly table! Given the fact that their hand tools are on the expensive side (The Craftsman branded ones)to begin with, I'd more appreciate a tool which served me better during the course of the job, rather than one which forces me back to the place of sale to replace it. A fellow SMC buddy and I were just discussing this exact same thing a few days ago and agreed we're better off paying even a little more for something minimizing our trips back to the vendor to get replacements.:) :cool:

Robert Mayer
05-23-2005, 10:00 AM
3 weeks ago i bought a dewalt 744 planer from sears. I used the 10% off as well as a price match from lowes. They had no problems giving me the discount.

thomas prevost
05-23-2005, 10:30 AM
I think Sears is shooting themselves in the foot. For many years, they were the only game in town for the DIY. Open weekends, lower cost(and quality) than professional tools, etc. Now we have HD, Lowes, and many regionals.

They now carry very few of the consumables, ie sander belts, sanding tubes, saw blades, etc. . These are to bought on line paying both shipping and sales tax. They have discontined their service depts. No hardware anymore. Locally, the tool depts have high school kids for sales. Notice more and more branded tools and less Craftsman including hand tools.

I was told by a friend that sells paints and wall coverings for Sears that they will be fazing out the Sears Weatherbeater line and go, made in the USA, to the supplier of Martha Stewart paints.

Sears tools as we knew it will be a thing of the past. It is becoming more like a Walmart or Kmart. Perhaps that is their long range plan and not attempt to compete with the borgs and online sales.

Bob Weisner
05-23-2005, 10:31 AM
I may be wrong, but I think that AceHardware offers a lifetime warrenty on their hand tools.

Pete Salvatore
05-23-2005, 10:43 AM
The sales folks at the local Sears in Lake City act like the discounts come directly out of their paychecks,...

It does if they are on commission. They get paid on the selling price. While most associates don't really care if there is a 10% reduction, some do. However, K-Mart has some policies that are going to be carried over and time will tell whether they are right or WRONG. As a former Sears associate, all I can say is that the merger will be interesting to see where they go or don't go.

Pete

Ed Blough
05-23-2005, 11:58 AM
I believe the idea of the Craftsman club when it first started was that the discount was limited to flyer items. Gradually it shifted to all craftsman items and as some have said they have even bought Dewalt brand items using Craftsmen club discounts. I don't think there was any change of policy I just think stores and employees sort of applied the discount as they saw fit.

Sears got into financial problems and was finally bought by K-mart, and in a effort to get Sears back in the red I think this was one of the things they looked at. From what I remember from way back in Craftsman club days this isn't a change of policy at all just a tightening up on existing policy.

I personally never buy anything unless it is on sale. I make do until the item goes on sale or closeout. If it never goes on sale I never buy it. Works for me.

aurelio alarcon
05-24-2005, 1:00 AM
Problem with that is you have to pay a hefty shipping charge.:mad: :mad: :mad: There goes your 10%savings.I usually pick my tools up at the store after buying them on line. So I rarely pay for shipping. Even if I do, their shipping charges aren't that outrageous.

Ron Taylor
05-24-2005, 1:37 PM
I've enjoyed Sears' wrenchs etc, for many years, have never been disappointed with them and have exchanged a few from time to time.
I am a member of the Craftsman club, but usually haven't remembered to ask for the discount when I purchase.

I have a few Craftsman power tools left from 20 - 25 years ago, RAS, DP, and my old inherited 1960's jointer. That being said, since I went through two Craftsman bandsaws in as many months, and have been disappointed with the quality and service life of other Sears power tools, I now have a policy of not buying anything with the name Craftsman that has a motor.