PDA

View Full Version : Tool Boxes - What kind of tool box do you use ?

Lloyd Robins
06-29-2013, 4:24 PM
It is 115 degrees (C x that out and make that F) outside my window, so I am not out in the shop today. So I thought that I would ask about tool chests. Since seeing Chris Schwarz's book on tool chests, I have been thinking about tool chests, I think that the concept behind them is great, but bending over all the time to get my tools would make life a pain (in my bad back). So, no tool chest. Then I saw an old article by Toshio Odate about the tool chest that his master used. I have decided, to pretty well stay with western tools, my budget doesn't allow both, but I thought that maybe a modified version would work in my shop. I had some unused poplar, and came up with a couple of small boxes. I did not include handles as I don't plan on carrying them around, and Mr. Schwarz will be disappointed - no wheels either. I have posted a couple of pictures. They seem to do the job for me. I also use a cabinet for saws and chisels. In what do you store your tools ?

Hilton Ralphs
06-29-2013, 4:40 PM
I think a toolbox is a nice idea if you find yourself schlepping your tools to a friend's house or to the job site but if not then I guess a wall mounted cabinet is more practical.

Kind of reminds me an overland trip I did to the Kalahari Desert in a Land Rover. We weren't organised at that stage and my friend who accompanied us on the trip was nicely kitted out with roof top tents and a trailer kitchen set-up. We had everything in containers which had to be unloaded and then packed away for every meal and it became a major pain in the rear.

Your boxes are nice though.

Bill Houghton
06-29-2013, 6:16 PM
Mechanic's rollaways and cubbyholes under the workbench.

Steve Bates
06-29-2013, 8:22 PM
Wow, Lloyd, where do you live? 115 degrees Celsius is well above the boiling point of water.

Nice boxes, BTW, thanks for the pictures.

Winton Applegate
06-29-2013, 8:46 PM
Yah I rarely go to my shop when it is 239 F (115 C)
. . . well actually . . . never . . . actually . . .
What planet are you posting from ? Gets hot there does it ?
Maybe I visited it. I used to hitchhike around the galaxy quite a bit back in the day. With Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect and those guys.
Anyway . . .
Glad you like Mr. Odate. I enjoy his books, magazine articles and interviews. I even cut out a couple of photos out of a book cover and put them up in the shop.
I have a lot to say about tool boxes.
I'll try to organize it and put something up in a while.

In the mean time :
If you know about Toshio you get around so you are probably aware of the H. O. Studley tool box but if not here is Norm to fill you in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cGNT-RSkEU

Chris Hachet
06-29-2013, 8:51 PM
Wow, Lloyd, where do you live? 115 degrees Celsius is well above the boiling point of water.

Nice boxes, BTW, thanks for the pictures.

Perhaps he lives on Venus, would love to know why the Poplar is not combusting at Thant temp...in all seriousness, nice boxes. I keep all of my tools on racks, and shelves above my work bench, as I can reach them easily without bending over or opening anything. I do plan on building a small chest for all of my marking tools, etc. Perhaps eeventually I will build a wall cabinet like Chris Swartz did, but until then open shelves it is.

Lloyd Robins
06-29-2013, 8:51 PM
All right, all right. It just seems like 115 degrees C. I must be talking with my Canadian side of the family too much. I meant 115 degrees F. I live in the garden spot of the Mojave desert. Oh, well.

Jim Matthews
06-30-2013, 6:47 AM
All right, all right. It just seems like 115 degrees C. I must be talking with my Canadian side of the family too much. I meant 115 degrees F. I live in the garden spot of the Mojave desert. Oh, well.

Gets over a hunnert and there's little difference - insufferable has a threshold after which there aren't really grades of unpleasant.
It could be worse - you could be in Alaska where the cloud cover has lifted, and the mosquitos have formed street gangs.

I have found that the best way to carry my tools is in a canvas tote.
I wrap the heavier stuff so it doesn't get banged up by the little items.

I had to schlep my tool box (Tom Fidgen's design) roughly 1/4 mile each way at Paul Seller's school.
After 4 days into the 9 day class, I left the things I needed on my bench.

A stout box weighs considerably more than I would have imagined.
Mine is nearly six pounds, empty.

PS - This box design, with two hands carrying at waist level is superior.
A single handle forces the carrier to lean over as a counterbalance.

On uneven ground, that's hard on my knee.

don wilwol
06-30-2013, 10:35 AM
I wasn't much of a fan of workshop tool chest, but I rebuilt one I found (http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com/2013/06/30/tool-chest-redux-now-thats-better/). It is starting to grow on me. 265487

Mike Holbrook
06-30-2013, 10:48 AM
I want a rolling cart/tool chest something like Don's. My shop spans two rooms and I want to be able to have tools in several places at the same time so...Nice work Lloyd!

Don that looks like a combo tool chest & roll top desk, any more pictures?

don wilwol
06-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Don that looks like a combo tool chest & roll top desk, any more pictures?
Follow the link to my blog. http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com/2013/06/30/tool-chest-redux-now-thats-better/

Mike Holbrook
06-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Nice top Don, I like the removable trays and large access door. I have been considering building the Lee Valley Rolling Tool Chest plan. I have plenty of bench space though, maybe your top on the LV bottom with all the drawers would be perfect for me. The LV plan even uses similar construction to your top on their box sides.

Jim Koepke
06-30-2013, 12:16 PM
For moving tools around there are a few tool tote boxes, the standard box with a handle along one axis. One of them is currently occupied by a bunch of saws.

For tools in general, it is semi organized chaos. Mechanic, electrical, plumbing and other standard type tools are stored in a couple of roll away tool boxes.

Wood working tools are kept in the other side of the shop.

The "wall of planes" with a few try squares, saws to the left and other assorted tools.

There is a small gap between these pictures.

The bench with the oil stone station and chisels in a box with chisels in a drawer below and more chisels in another drawer. There is also a drawer with some seldom used block planes and other tools. There is another drawer with mostly drill bits. Also not pictured is a stand with some marking and measuring tools.

It is a mess, but I know where everything is supposed to be.

For carrying tools I have a few tool totes that can be loaded as needed.

jtk

P.S. Thank the software for Auto-Save. I thought this was posted yesterday. Just had to re-insert the images.