PDA

View Full Version : Chinaberry

Richard Jones
06-29-2013, 1:17 PM
Got a couple or three pieces of this the other day, was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. Looks like a nice color, pretty tight grain.

Thanks.

Rich

John Keeton
06-29-2013, 1:23 PM
Very nice to turn! If it is green, it will move quite a bit in my limited experience with it. Finishes out nicely, too.

Richard Jones
07-01-2013, 5:33 AM
Thanks, John.

Michael Stafford
07-01-2013, 6:44 AM
I have turned several pieces of chinaberry into, what else, boxes. It had an interesting grain and color. I roughed them out and let them dry and did not notice any movement problems although they were on the smallish (2-2 1/2") side. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Richard Jones
07-01-2013, 3:24 PM
Mike,

Am roughing out boxes this afternoon. What I was given has checked a bit on the ends, but I believe I can get some decent sized boxes out of it. Will keep you posted...........................
Thanks.

Editing to add that this will be my first foray into turning since February, when the surgeon screwed up my hand. Wish me luck..................

robert baccus
07-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Nice wood--another introduced tropical from western china, actually a member of the mahogany family. Heartwood is a bueatiful red--cuts well and finishes well. Gets 30"+ in diameter here in E. Texas.