PDA

View Full Version : Hinges

Dave Anthony
06-29-2013, 12:37 AM
I'm looking for hinges for inset doors on an armoire. What are the advantages/disadvantages of full inset overlay vs. partial wrap vs. full wrap hinges? The armoire has a face frame and 3/4" doors.

Lee Schierer
06-29-2013, 8:41 AM
Mostly it comes down to what you want the hinges/cabinet to look like and what they need to do. Do you want the doors to swing open more than 90 degrees, more than 180, etc? Do you want the hinges to show or do you want to just see the wood of the cabinet when the doors are closed? How heavy are the doors?

Inset doors are the hardest to do because they have to fit precisely in the opening and leave a uniform gap all the way around the door.

Dave Anthony
06-29-2013, 12:51 PM
I want the doors to open 90 degrees, and am going for a more traditional look (I don't want to use European hinges). The doors are 22" x 15 3/4" and weigh about 6.5 lbs each, face frame with a solid wood panel. On my last project I used SOSS hinges, and I'd rather not go there again. I'm looking for a hinge where only the barrel shows when the doors are closed.

Tom Ewell
06-29-2013, 1:06 PM
Best bet is to browse a site like Woodworkers Hardware and check out the styles and specs for the setup that suits you.
Your description of desired look might warrant a simple (but nice looking) butt hinge.

Dave Zellers
06-29-2013, 7:50 PM
Your description of desired look might warrant a simple (but nice looking) butt hinge.
That's what I'm thinking. Like a nice ball tip hinge. (http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/ball-hinges?GCID=MSN&KEYWORD=ball%20tip%20hinges&partner=msnpc)

Sam Murdoch
06-29-2013, 9:07 PM
That's what I'm thinking. Like a nice ball tip hinge. (http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/ball-hinges?GCID=MSN&KEYWORD=ball%20tip%20hinges&partner=msnpc)

Perfect solution!

Dave Zellers
06-29-2013, 9:59 PM
Perfect solution!
:cool:
Mr. Ball Tip :p

Sam Murdoch
06-29-2013, 11:12 PM
:cool:
Mr. Ball Tip :p]

Actually - Mr. Finial Tip, if you don't mind :D.

Dave Zellers
06-30-2013, 12:32 AM
]

Actually - Mr. Finial Tip, if you don't mind :D.

LOL! Exsqueeze me.

John Piwaron
06-30-2013, 3:37 PM
I want the doors to open 90 degrees, and am going for a more traditional look (I don't want to use European hinges). The doors are 22" x 15 3/4" and weigh about 6.5 lbs each, face frame with a solid wood panel. On my last project I used SOSS hinges, and I'd rather not go there again. I'm looking for a hinge where only the barrel shows when the doors are closed.

You had a problem with SOSS hinges in the past? I've used those once. Quite a while ago actually, but I didn't find them to be particularly difficult to install. Locating them was no more exacting than any other hinge I've used. Just my experience. Maybe I was lucky.