PDA

View Full Version : Neander Lessons learned- frame and Panel Doors for Spice Chest

Mike Allen1010
06-28-2013, 11:51 PM
I do 98% of my woodworking with hand tools (I use a bandsaw for re-sawing).

One of the things I struggle most with is frame and panel doors, like this one I'm building for a Pennsylvania spice box modeled after one in an article in FWW by Steve Latta.

I am certainly no expert, but after consistently screwing these up badly I now use 3 Rules (on an index card taped up in the shop!) that help me execute F&P doors more consistently. I'm sure these ideas are not original and much better expressed in an article or book somewhere, but I thought these might be interesting/helpful to share with my fellow Neander's here on SMC:

#1) The shoulder to shoulder length of door rails is: desired door width minus width of the stiles without the inner moldings applied to the frame, which will be ripped off.

I always fail to allow for this, which means I end up with the door that is too narrow by 2X the width of any interior frame moldings, which I consistently fail to allow for - I hate when that happens!.

#2) Once the door frame members are correctly dimensioned, the first thing I do is create any molding for the interior of the door frame.

I used to plow the grooves in the frame members for the panel first, but I always ended up cracking/chipping off/breaking the molding I was trying to apply to the narrow width of the door frame left after plowing the groove.

In addition, I used to automatically plow the groove in the middle of frame members for the panel. Now to allow more width/support for interior frame moldings, I usually offset the groove and mortises toward the inside of the door.

#3) I always put the triangle cabinetmakers mark on the face side of the frame members in big black marker.

This reminds me to always reference the Mortise gauge off the face side when laying out M&T’s.

It's also a visible reminder to make sure I reassembled the frame in the correct configuration when I'm trimming tennon shoulders for a tight fit. In the "shave a little -- test the fit" process I can't tell you how many times I have reassembled the frame with some components reversed/backwards etc. and wondered "Gee this sure seem to fit a lot better a minute ago?”, and as a consequence ended up trimming the wrong shoulders etc. -- which of course just makes the fit worse -- I also hate when that happens!

Here's some pictures of the spice chest in process (with the end grain suitably covered for Zack and David's benefit!). I still need to rub out the shellac and build drawers.

I think I include a picture of the hidden compartments in the back…

I'm currently working on the string inlay for the door (I'm thinking wedding date and my wife and my initials for our 26th anniversary?).

Anyway, I hope some of my fellow Neanders here on SMC can benefit from my mistakes.

All the best, Mike

Chris Griggs
06-29-2013, 12:00 AM
My lord Mike. Your woodworking sure has come a long way. You went full on Latta Spice Chest! That piece is on my bucket list but I haven't had the guts to take it on yet. What a great project and thus far it looks like you executed it brilliantly. Really looking forward to seeing it when its completed. Nice!

Winton Applegate
06-29-2013, 4:05 AM
Thank you !
Great to see.
I really enjoyed seeing your work.
Rather than rubbing out the finish what are your views on French polishing the spice chest? Since it is shellac. It seems it is a case of rub it this way or rub it that way and French polishing may take less effort.

Jim Matthews
06-29-2013, 7:00 AM
All those little pieces....

The horror, the horror.
By hand, no less.

Chris Hachet
06-29-2013, 8:14 AM
looks fantastic. I am still saving up for a plow plane, Moxon vise and a better dovetail saw come first...but Implan to use your ideas when I stop slaying electrons on my door making.

Patrick McCarthy
06-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Hey buddy, NICE work there. Very nice. Best regards, Patrick

Hilton Ralphs
06-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Wow, love the dovetails on the top. Thanks for the three rules as well. I'll take those to heart when I attempt F&P without router bits.

Ryan Baker
06-29-2013, 8:14 PM
Wow Mike. That little chest looks great. I should make one of those, but I don't know where I would put it.

Have you seen the Woodwright's Shop episode about lettering that chest? http://video.pbs.org/video/2172739973

Mike Allen1010
07-01-2013, 2:00 PM
Thanks Chris and Patrick for your nice comments -- it's always great to hear from you guys!

Winton, I appreciate your suggestion about French polishing the shellac. I am not exactly sure what's involved in classic "French polishing", but I apply the first couple coats of shellac with a brush to build the finish more quickly and after sanding with 400 -- 600 grit sandpaper applied subsequent coats with a rubber of cotton wadding wrapped in old T-shirt.I seem to have better luck avoiding Drips, runs etc. with the pad versus the brush.

I plan to use a felt block with some rottenstone and mineral oil to rub out the final coat. I'm not exactly sure how long I should let the shellac "cure" before I do the rubout.any advice or suggestions on the whole "French polishing" idea much appreciated!

Ryan, thanks a lot for sending the link to the episode of the Woodwrights shop-- I haven't seen this before and it's really helpful! It made me feel better to see that even Steve Latta sometimes struggles with carving the recesses for letters-- it sure is giving me a hard time.

I have gotten better at using the LV inlay tools for cutting the the recesses for the line/string inlay. Keeping the little cutter sharp is a struggle because the cutting edges are so small.

Probably the biggest challenge for me has been getting uniform width Holly string inlay cut so they completely fill the grooves. I have a couple spots where there are gaps and I hate to have to remove the original stringing to redo them -- I'm not sure that come out any better the second time around!

I am a terrible designer, which is why I stick to building copies of existing pieces. I'm currently having "artistic differences" with the LOML (who is very artistic and creative). I was planning on including our initials and wedding date inside the circle on the front door panel (like the original in the article), Sherrie thinks that will be too "busy".

I was able to stop myself before saying something stupid like "well, that design was good enough for Steve, and he is an expert in building these chests" - I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have gone over very well! Maybe I'll just include the family name at the bottom center and call it done, that would be consistent with my basic philosophy of "happy wife, happy life".

I will try to post some more pictures once I finish the inlay. Frankly, I'll be glad to be done with this fiddly inlay work (tough on my old eyes) and get back to some "real woodworking" - building the drawers.

All the best, Mike

Greg Wease
07-01-2013, 2:57 PM
One thing you might try is cutting your stringing a little fat, then compressing it in a vise so it fits into the groove. It will then expand a little when it gets wet from the glue. I have also seen this done by wetting the compressed stringing with a little water to fill the groove and then applying a little super glue to anchor it. Or maybe this is just cheating, I don't know.