PDA

View Full Version : Custom closet install...

Michael Dunn
06-28-2013, 11:15 PM
My latest iron in the fire... Nothing special. Just a bunch of quick down and dirty shelves and storage solutions.

Michael Dunn
06-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Check out this door... The carved one. I didn't do it, but its pretty awesome.

Michael Dunn
06-28-2013, 11:28 PM
These aren't the latest pics. I just realized. All the plywood edges have Poplar covering them. She's doing all the staining.

Now I just need to figure out how to finish this job with a torn ligament in my left ankle... I still have a dozen sheets of pre finished Mahogany to break down and make into bigger more elaborate shelving storage options...

Any ideas? I'll be in a cast and on crutches for 4-6 weeks.

Arghh!!!!!!!

Rich Engelhardt
06-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Now I just need to figure out how to finish this job with a torn ligament in my left ankle... I still have a dozen sheets of pre finished Mahogany to break down and make into bigger more elaborate shelving storage options...Too bad you're so far away. I'd be more than happy to pitch in and do the grunt work and leave it up to you to just guide me through it.
You might want to check around and see if there's any retired old farts like myself in your area w/time on their hands that would be happy to trade their time for some hand's on experience.

Sam Murdoch
06-30-2013, 11:44 AM
These aren't the latest pics. I just realized. All the plywood edges have Poplar covering them. She's doing all the staining.

Now I just need to figure out how to finish this job with a torn ligament in my left ankle... I still have a dozen sheets of pre finished Mahogany to break down and make into bigger more elaborate shelving storage options...

Any ideas? I'll be in a cast and on crutches for 4-6 weeks.

Arghh!!!!!!!

An add in to Hogwarts? :) This is my biggest (but hardly mentioned or thought about) fear - that I will be in the middle of a project and become sick or temporarily disabled. I have no good solutions to suggest. Sorry. Hope you are up and strong sooner than you expect.

Michael Dunn
06-30-2013, 3:34 PM
Same here. The downside of self employment. I have a fellow woodworking friend who will assist tomorrow and a non woodworking friend who will be my muscles on Tuesday. I really need this finished by end of day Tuesday. I have almost all of the little stuff done and... 4 or 5 bigger storage solutions to cut, build, and assemble. Two of them are identical so I can batch those parts out at the same time. Hopefully that will simplify things a bit.

Jamie Buxton
06-30-2013, 5:30 PM
What is the white thing? It looks like a refrigerator with wood on the sides. But it seems narrow and shallow, and I don't see where the hot air comes out.

Michael Dunn
07-04-2013, 2:24 PM
Updated pics...

I did none of the staining. She did it all. Some of it doesn't match, but she's happy. I didn't build the oak dresser things. There are two identical closets with two identical oak dresser type things. Massively out of square and far from plumb and level. She wanted to be able to slide them out so I couldn't anchor them into a square, level, and plumb position.

Some pics have some parts that are not stained. Over all I think it turned out very well. I managed to get the job done with my ligament damage. I had two different friends help on Monday and Tuesday. I finished the remainder yesterday.

69 hours unfortunately. Would've been half that if I was well.

I used pre finished mahogany for almost everything. A couple sheets of maple for the black wall hanging units and knotty pine plywood for the laundry folding surface.

I'm going back tomorrow for a separate job. I have to use some barn wood to trim out a roughly 12" diameter wood beam. Trouble is, the guys who did the floor left waaaaay too much space between the floor and the beam.

I'm thinking of building an octagon around the beam. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Yes, the white is a fridge. There is a vent with room for air flow beneath and behind the unit.

Michael Dunn
07-05-2013, 9:04 PM
Finished... Here some more pics.

As a small separate job she had me trim out this 12" wood beam. To fill the gaps I suggested filling it with backer rod, then epoxy and then some decorative stones.