PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Finish a Communion Plate?

James Combs
06-28-2013, 9:16 PM
I just finished reading Bret Schaffner (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?93582-Bret-Schaffner)'s "Best seal for a Pop corn bowl? (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?204687-Best-seal-for-a-Pop-corn-bowl/page2)" thread and it got me to wondering.

I am in the process of turning a communion plate for a customer. Currently it is still on the lathe with one coat of satin WOP on it. It will be used to hold communion crackers or wafers for communion at the customers church. Also part of the order is a wooden stem chalice for the wine or grape juice.

I did not ask what her denomination was and am not familiar with communion of this style. Apparently the plate of crackers is passed around and the participant takes out one and dips it in the wine/juice in the goblet. Since the goblet will actually be glass with a wooden stem I am not concerned about the finish for it but how do you think I should or should have:o finished the bowl.

At this point I could actually take a light pass with a sharp tool and turn the single coat of WOP off if need be.

Brian Kent
06-28-2013, 11:08 PM
James,
WOP is just fine. If this was a wooden chalice and not glass with a wooden stem, I would also recommend wipe on poly. Some churches use wine so shellac would not work, and I prefer a barrier between the wood and the juice or wine, so the chalice is not stained. In most protestant churches they will only have communion elements once a week or once a month. In Episcopal or Catholic churches they get daily usage. Have fun and thank you for making it.
(Pastor) Brian

John Keeton
06-29-2013, 5:28 AM
... not familiar with communion of this style.JD, this is called "communion by intinction" and it is an old practice that is being revived in many churches that use it on a periodic basis.

I suspect the only real exposure to wear for the plate is the holding of the edge by those administering communion. The wafers or bread shouldn't affect the finish unless it is hot and moist - unlikely in this setting. I would think the WOP would be fine.

Pat Scott
06-29-2013, 8:07 AM
I agree, several coats of WOP is a good choice.

James Combs
06-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback, WOP it is.:)

James,
WOP is just fine. If this was a wooden chalice and not glass with a wooden stem, I would also recommend wipe on poly. Some churches use wine so shellac would not work, and I prefer a barrier between the wood and the juice or wine, so the chalice is not stained. In most protestant churches they will only have communion elements once a week or once a month. In Episcopal or Catholic churches they get daily usage. Have fun and thank you for making it.
(Pastor) Brian
Thank you Bro. Brian(BTW our previous Pastor was a Brian), being a Baptist I am only familiar with our communion frequency of once a quarter or depending on the individual church some other similar frequency. I new there were churches that observed it weekly but was unaware of daily observance.

JD, this is called "communion by intinction" and it is an old practice that is being revived in many churches that use it on a periodic basis.
I suspect the only real exposure to wear for the plate is the holding of the edge by those administering communion. The wafers or bread shouldn't affect the finish unless it is hot and moist - unlikely in this setting. I would think the WOP would be fine.
Thanks for info John, always appreciate your input. As to the edge the bowl/plate will look something like this only bigger:
I purposely am making the inside of the rim undercut to insure a good grasping edge. The inlay in the communion plate is faux turquoise where this one is brass filings.

I agree, several coats of WOP is a good choice.
Thanks Pat, again I appreciate your input.

Brian Kent
06-29-2013, 2:34 PM
Very nice serving plate / bowl.

Here is an additional thought that might be fun. Recently I have been making communion serving sets with an additional small plate and small, wide rim chalice. At my previous church there was only one child I knew of who could not eat any gluten. Currently there are six to ten people who need gluten free wafers (including my son). So we have the regular communion stations, with one having a small table with gluten free wafers and a fresh cup of juice with no bread crumbs.