PDA

View Full Version : Using the New Jessem hold downs on the router table..

Bill Huber
06-28-2013, 6:44 PM
To start, I do not work for or know anyone at Jessem.

I have been waiting for feedback on the use of the new hold downs, there were a lot of guys that ordered them. But I have not seen any feed back. I was on vacation at the beach all week when mine came in so today I just had to go out and give them a try.

I have a Jessem router table with the Jessem fence on it and installing the hold downs is a snap. Slide them on and tighten them down where you want them, it is that easy. Like all of Jessem's stuff they are make like a battleship all parts are machined and look outstanding.

For testing I used some 3/4 inch poplar that was 27" long and bowed in the center.

Installed the hold downs placed one end of the board under the the in feed and pushed it down and locked it. Then did the same to the out feed hold down. The pressure needed is not near what it looked like the video, it just does not take that much. I used my finger to tighten the locking screws and that work just fine, I thing maybe if you were setting up to do a lot you may want to use the wrench.

I cut a rabbet, 1/4" x 3/8" with the bow up and then did the same with the bow down, in both cases the rabbet was the same all the way down the board. Even with the bow the hold downs pressed it down on the table. I just used one finger to push the wood though the bit and it held it against the fence with no problem.

The hold downs are much easier to use and faster then feather boards, I have the Jessem feather boards which are easy to install and use but the new hold downs are faster and easier. With the feather boards when you have the pressure set there is a lot of drag and if there is a bow in the wood they some times will not push it against the table because they flex, the new hold downs don't flex.

The wrench is fine and will work but I have a Bondhus ball-headed screwdriver handle that is really nice for the job. Again I don't think you will need it that much but when you do the ball-head is really nice.

265319 265320 265321

Tony Rodoracio
06-28-2013, 7:51 PM
Good to hear Bill. I have mine waiting at home but won't be there until Monday to try them out.

richard poitras
06-28-2013, 8:20 PM
Thanks for posting the review Bill. Do you think they would work on an Incra LS router table fence?

Thanks Richard

Also Bill if I may ask how much was shipping ?

Bill Huber
06-28-2013, 8:34 PM
Thanks for posting the review Bill. Do you think they would work on an Incra LS router table fence?

Thanks Richard

Go take a look at some of these post, they talk about the Incra fence.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?204300-Jessems-new-tool/page2

For me the total was 106.05, the hold downs were 99.95 and shipping was 6.10.

Lee Weed
06-28-2013, 8:35 PM

Thanks Richard

Yes, maximium board height 1 1/8-1 1/4"

richard poitras
06-28-2013, 9:37 PM
Bill and Lee thanks for the information. Very helpfull.

Rick Potter
06-28-2013, 9:46 PM
Bill,

This just isn't fair. I ordered mine first, and you already have pictures of yours in action.

Wait a minute while I get the front door.................Ahhh, never mind. They're here. Gotta go.

Rick Potter

Mark Carlson
06-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the review. Just got word that mine have been shipped. I will be trying them out on an incra router fence and a very super cool tools table saw fence.

~mark

Jonathan Leong
06-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Nice! Looks like I would have to cut a dado in my woodpeckers fence in order to get another t rail in it at the right height. The current t rail is at about 4" which is about 1" too high...

Alan Lightstone
06-29-2013, 2:55 AM
Mine arrived today. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

Clay Fails
03-21-2014, 1:14 PM
I am awaiting delivery of my set. Quick Question: Although they are marketed for router table use, is there any reason I can't use them on my table saw, which has an extruded aluminum fence with slots to accept the Tee nuts?

Eduard Nemirovsky
03-21-2014, 1:18 PM
I am awaiting delivery of my set. Quick Question: Although they are marketed for router table use, is there any reason I can't use them on my table saw, which has an extruded aluminum fence with slots to accept the Tee nuts?

Is your tablesaw fence fixed to the table top on both end? If yes, I don't see problem why not to use it.

Ed/

Ray Newman
03-21-2014, 1:33 PM
I am "on the fence" with these.

For years, I have worked with plastic feather boards held to the fence or table with clamps or machine screws and nuts. That hold down set up has never failed me. I can see how the Jessum unit would work well and be very useful, much like the Board Buddies for my Uni-saw.

Guess I really need to see a set and "coon finger" them before making a yeah or nay decision.

Mark Carlson
03-21-2014, 3:43 PM
Yes, on using them on a tablesaw with a extruded aluminum fence. I sometimes lock the fence down with a magnetic switch but usually I dont bother.

George Bokros
03-21-2014, 4:14 PM
I have had them for a while and like them. They work great.

George

Joe Spear
03-21-2014, 5:06 PM
Yes, they work on the Incra fence. I have them on mine.

paul cottingham
03-21-2014, 6:11 PM
Anybody care to opine whether they would fit the Veritas router fence.

Rick Potter
03-21-2014, 6:19 PM
Funny this thread should come back up. Since I got mine, I have used them only a couple times and it really wasn't enough to report on. Two days ago I did the cope and stick on five raised panel doors and used the hold downs. They worked perfectly. I used two finger pressure and tightened them by hand with no problems. No feather boards or shoving down real hard to be sure I take out any slight bow, I just shoved them through and they stayed tight to the fence, just like they said they would. I installed mine close to the bit on either side.

The only improvement I would make is to include proper length toilet bolts in addition to the hex bolts, for those of us who have that type T-track. I don't like hex bolts and most of my jigs take toilet bolts. I had some long toilet bolts that I used, but had to be careful to not skin my knuckles on them. Next trip to Rockler will cure that problem.

Love them, glad I got two sets. If anyone local wants to see them work, come on down.

Rick Potter

EDIT: One other thing that matters. The only give in the rollers is the special O ring which is fairly stiff. You want to make sure you mill your wood to the same thickness for best results. Of course you should do that anyway. I know this is sometimes not critical, but if it's not real close, the jig may have to be readjusted.

johnny means
03-21-2014, 6:54 PM
I'm usually not a gadget guy, but I like these a lot. They take a lot of the stress off my hands and make for better results when I rout moulding. I'm using them on a Benchdog Profence on a Benchdog CI top. My only issue is that the bolts mar the inside of the t-slot when tightened. Over time this will no doubt cause issues for me when using the slot. I think this could easily be fixed with a long washer that spanned both bolts.