PDA

View Full Version : GEM Miter box??

steven c newman
06-28-2013, 4:48 PM
Spent $8 at a yard sale today. For a rusty, dull Disston/HK Porter backsaw, and a three piece wood item265304 Don't look like much, does it? :eek: Anyway, found out that two of the wood pieces fold down265305 Surprise! :D They had wanted $10 for it, got it down to $8 :rolleyes: There is a label of sorts265306 and even a ruler!265307 So, who, or what was GEM? Looks like the guides can be adjusted to the thickness of the saw plate, or even slid along to make a new slot? As for the saw? MEH, I have a better one in the shop now. Trying to decide what to do with the Disston/HK Porter one....

steven c newman
06-28-2013, 4:51 PM
Oh and since I was out rust hunting today, found four saws 265308 @ $0.25 each? One is another Disston/HK Porter crosscut, the rest? Just WS ones......

Mark Dorman
06-28-2013, 7:54 PM
Check out Alaska Freezer company on dbay steve

Andrae Covington
06-29-2013, 1:08 PM
Check out Alaska Freezer company on dbay steve

Yep, or, you could search sawmillcreek... :)

The Alaska Freezer Company was based in Winchendon, Massachusetts and began in 1902. Their main line was manufacturing hand-cranked ice cream makers. After some mergers and investment groups, they still exist in some form as White Mountain Freezer.

The Gem Folding Miter Box was sold by J.C. McCarty & Co, New York at least by 1909. How and when they became associated with the Alaska Freezer Company, unfortunately I don't know.

Not sure what diameter the rod should be, but I'd just try sticking drill bits into the hole until one fits.