PDA

View Full Version : whatcha gonna buy?

Frederick Skelly
06-28-2013, 3:30 PM
Well, i thought i had breaking news on the LV free shipping event, but realized someone beat me to it.

So, instead Ill ask: whatcha gonna buy? What looks especially tempting? For me, its an LV replacement blade for that Keen Kutter that just wouldnt hold an edge. Plus some scrapers and beginner level string inlay tools.

How about you?

Fred

Steve Friedman
06-28-2013, 4:29 PM
Bought much more than I planned, but I needed it all:

Pullshave
Log Notch Gouge
Loose tenons and router bit
Drawbore pins
A bunch of Abranet stuff
Assortment of metal polish and wax
Set of Eze-Lap paddle hones

. . . and for my wife, the 8-tiered herb drier.

Spend $650, but saved $13.95 in shipping. I don't think Lee Valley lost any money on me.

Steve

Chris Griggs
06-28-2013, 4:43 PM
Nothing. I would have. But literally last I night I sent my monthly allowance of tool money to Stu. Rob can have my money next month.

Harold Burrell
06-28-2013, 5:03 PM
Nothing. I would have. But literally last I night I sent my monthly allowance of tool money to Stu. Rob can have my money next month.

Man...it's a good thing that Stu never offers free shipping...

"Groceries? We don't need any stinking groceries!"

Chris Griggs
06-28-2013, 5:10 PM
Man...it's a good thing that Stu never offers free shipping...

"Groceries? We don't need any stinking groceries!"

As if the direct benefit we get from the current exchange rate makes it any easier to resist. I didn't go crazy, just ordered an atoma 400 (after I stupidly killed my iWood) and even with international shipping it was $15-$20 less than I'd be able to get it with free shipping from any North American retailer.

Harold Burrell
06-28-2013, 9:03 PM
As if the direct benefit we get from the current exchange rate makes it any easier to resist. I didn't go crazy, just ordered an atoma 400 (after I stupidly killed my iWood) and even with international shipping it was $15-$20 less than I'd be able to get it with free shipping from any North American retailer.

How did you kill your iWood???

David Weaver
06-28-2013, 9:27 PM
speaking of iwood, I just saw a trend 300/1000 (that looks like a copy of the iwood) sell for $20 today on ebay. It said it was used, but it didn't look used.

(i looked at LV's site, congratulated myself for not buying anything and then bought what I think is a washita hone on ebay)

Mike Holbrook
06-28-2013, 9:31 PM
1) PM-V11 chisel 3/8" 2) Koyamaichi umeki-nomi chisels 6mm, 18mm 3) Mechanical Fixpencil 4) Plans and hardware for Adirondack chair

Highland Woodworking just got a chunk too. Stu and Joel will have to wait until I figure out a little more about these Japanese tools.

Chris Griggs
06-28-2013, 10:37 PM
How did you kill your iWood???

I used it to lap my Shapton 120 many many times. Now, that stone isn't actually as coarse as it sounds and it abrades easily, so I thought it might be okay when I gingerly tried it for the first time and there were no immediate ill effects, BUT it became clear after a while that it was shortening its life. And once it started to go down hill it really gave up the ghost.

I knew better than to use it on the 120, but after I tried it once and I didn't see any immediate damage I kept doing it. Its still works but it just makes lapping a slow PITA in its current state. Anyway, like I said it my own darn fault and I really should have known better. Oh well, I wanted an atoma anyway, and I got a couple good years use out of the iWood (you'll get much more if you don't do what I didi), and now I can still use it as a surface for loose grit/loose diamonds so its not a total loss (the glass is half full)

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-29-2013, 4:16 PM
Still trying to figure it out - I've got an LV gift certificate, so this will make it go a little bit further . . . I'm thinking the little anvil (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43456,43465&p=69331) and the side rabbet plane (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=60012&cat=1,230,41182,48945). Usually I rabbet the stock to fit in the groove, but I've got a couple of things planned where it might be handy, and it seems like one of those tools that if it saves you once, it really pays for itself.

Hilton Ralphs
06-29-2013, 4:47 PM
I'm thinking the little anvil (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43456,43465&p=69331) and the side rabbet plane (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=60012&cat=1,230,41182,48945).
I've read some good reviews on that rabbet plane so I doubt you'll regret your purchase. Overseas shipping costs aside, that anvil looks inviting.....

Ryan Baker
06-29-2013, 8:20 PM
4) Plans and hardware for Adirondack chair.

??? Adirondack chairs don't have any hardware.

Lloyd Robins
06-29-2013, 8:55 PM
Considering some of the PM-V11 plane blades for my Stanleys. The high friction sheets are also great.

Chris Griggs
06-29-2013, 9:16 PM
... and it seems like one of those tools that if it saves you once, it really pays for itself.

That's exactly what it is. You don't NEED it and I almost never use mine, but the few times I have I sure was glad to have it. Most tools that I use so little I would sell, but after it made life easier for just me a couple times I decided I would hold onto it.

Roy Lindberry
06-30-2013, 1:13 AM
Well, i thought i had breaking news on the LV free shipping event, but realized someone beat me to it.

So, instead Ill ask: whatcha gonna buy? What looks especially tempting? For me, its an LV replacement blade for that Keen Kutter that just wouldnt hold an edge. Plus some scrapers and beginner level string inlay tools.

How about you?

Fred

Well, I just put in my order this morning.

5 replacement cutters for the Veritas marking gauge.
2 vise handles for my recently acquired tail and shoulder vise screws
3 3" x 8" DMT Diasharp stones (220, 600, 1200)

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-30-2013, 5:17 PM
That's exactly what it is. You don't NEED it and I almost never use mine, but the few times I have I sure was glad to have it. Most tools that I use so little I would sell, but after it made life easier for just me a couple times I decided I would hold onto it.

I don't know if Chris' opinion or my last experience with a not-quite right groove and hard-to rabbet stock that pushed me, but I put in my order a little while ago. The aforementioned side-rabbet plane and small anvil, as well as some of those nice brad-points they stock, and the magnifying lamp and a bushing for it. Waffled for a bit over whether I'd rather have the low-angle shave instead of something else, but maybe I can trick someone into buying that for a birthday present next month.

Ron Kellison
06-30-2013, 5:45 PM
I have the small anvil and it definitely falls into the category of "more useful than you thought it would be" tools. I find I use mine frequently. I mounted it to a small block of wood and then clamp that block of wood in my bench vise. It's a great tool for the price and not having to pay shipping makes it an even better value.

Chris Griggs
06-30-2013, 6:10 PM
I don't know if Chris' opinion or my last experience with a not-quite right groove and hard-to rabbet stock that pushed me, but I put in my order a little while ago. The aforementioned side-rabbet plane and small anvil, as well as some of those nice brad-points they stock, and the magnifying lamp and a bushing for it. Waffled for a bit over whether I'd rather have the low-angle shave instead of something else, but maybe I can trick someone into buying that for a birthday present next month.

You'll be glad to have those times you need it. I look at mine on the shelf all the time a wonder why I have it, and still consider selling it sometimes. But than inevitably something comes up every couple projects where it earns its keep. The trick is to remind yourself of those times it's earned its keep when you find yourself looking at it on the shelf not having touched it for several months and thinking about all the things you could spend the money you'd get for it on. It really is quite handy when you need it.

I bet that anvil will be handy...I kinda have been wanting that too.