PDA

View Full Version : Any fun turning ideas?

Dan Masshardt
06-28-2013, 3:14 PM
Anybody have an idea for something fun or different to turn? :-)

Jack Gaskins
06-28-2013, 4:24 PM
To be honest, I think turning birdhouse ornaments is fun cause there are just so many variations you can do. They are quick and easy.

Mike Lipke
06-28-2013, 4:26 PM
This should keep you busy for a while...

Jim Burr
06-28-2013, 4:56 PM
Volcano shakers, peppermills, saltmills, cheese and cracker platters, wine glasses, pens...anything but bowls and HF's!

Dan Masshardt
06-28-2013, 5:43 PM
Volcano shakers, peppermills, saltmills, cheese and cracker platters, wine glasses, pens...anything but bowls and HF's!

Volcano shakers?

Dan Masshardt
06-28-2013, 5:43 PM
To be honest, I think turning birdhouse ornaments is fun cause there are just so many variations you can do. They are quick and easy.

Where's a good place to get a basic tutorial on these?

Steve bellinger
06-28-2013, 6:32 PM
Volcano shakers, peppermills, saltmills, cheese and cracker platters, wine glasses, pens...anything but bowls and HF's!Hey bud and what is wrong with bowls and HF's? They are a bunch of fun. :) :)

ray hampton
06-28-2013, 6:42 PM
Volcano shakers?

popcorn bowl

Clint Merrill
06-28-2013, 8:16 PM
Try 'tippe tops' easy to make and a lot of fun to play with, you can also 'cheat' and buy wooden balls {hobby lobby} and make a bunch in an hour or so. Great to give as gifts to friends . Look up on Google for a bunch of ideas or go to 'you tube' for videos.

chuck vernon
06-28-2013, 8:32 PM
I have recently tried inside out turning. It is a blast. Lots of good videos on youtube.

Tim Boger
06-28-2013, 9:50 PM
When I get the itch for something different I turn to segmented bracelets and Christmas ornaments ..... plenty of design opportunities.

Tim

Marvin Hasenak
06-28-2013, 9:55 PM
Spin tops, quick, easy, and even the grownup kids love to play with them.

Roy Turbett
06-28-2013, 10:55 PM
Our club did a croquet mallet and ball challenge for their summer picnic a couple of years ago. There's a good article on malletsmithing in an older (1986?) issue of Fine Woodworking.

Jim Burr
06-29-2013, 12:47 AM
Hey bud and what is wrong with bowls and HF's? They are a bunch of fun. :) :) ehhh...they all look the same after awhile. Since wood "art" is new, no one knows what's good, bad or just blowin' smoke. I'll stick with the useful stuff!

Paul Singer
06-29-2013, 6:23 AM
Dan,
If you go to youtube and search for "wood birdhouse" you will find Bob Hamilton and Carl Jacobson both have birdhouse tutorials and if you try "turned birdhouse" you will find a bunch more.

Jim Underwood
06-29-2013, 8:26 AM
Hey! Don't forget that we have an author's forum here where yours truly also has an extensive mini birdhouse tutorial.

Peter Blair
06-29-2013, 10:43 AM
I guess I'm one of the sort of lucky ones. I don't get to turn everyday so ANYTHING is fun to turn . . . . or should I say turning ANYTHING?

David A. Peterson
06-29-2013, 5:26 PM
Ice cream scoops (get the kit at any wood store) or toothpick holders. toothpick holders are quick, fun, the 2X2X3.5" block fits nicely in a chuck, forsner bit does the inside, just turn the outside. fill them with toothpicks and give them as gifts.

Norris Randall
06-29-2013, 6:14 PM
Way back in HS I turned a mahogany yo-yo 6" dia. One piece. Cut the slot with hacksaw.
Took it too school and got all my buddies in the 2nd floor classroom. Open the window.
Maiden voyage. Hot Dog... all the way down to ground level and back up again.
Well I probably wasn't that much fun to turn but we had a good time for a short while.
The teacher made us close the window and sit down.. time for class to start.

Jack Gaskins
06-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Where's a good place to get a basic tutorial on these?

Utube as was already suggested for video or there are a few books on the subject. After you ready a couple of articles or watch Bob Hamilton you will understand the basic idea pretty quickly and after the first one realize how easy they are to make and the endless designs you can create. If you want some design ideas go to Google Image search box type in woodturning birdhouses, you will get hundreds of photos.

Jack Gaskins
06-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Hey bud and what is wrong with bowls and HF's? They are a bunch of fun. :) :)

Yeah, as long as you do not sand or finish them. Sanding bowls SUCK! I always dread the sanding part of turning bowls.........

Jon Lanier
06-30-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm planning on doing a few of these this week.

Tooth Pick Holder (http://www.woodmagazine.com/videos/v/72694264/turned-toothpick-dispenser.htm)

Donny Lawson
07-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Here is a few ornaments I have done. They are very fun to make and just make sure you have plenty on hand because they sell fast.