PDA

View Full Version : Paduka wood? Salvage Dogs

Matt Day
06-28-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm watching a TV show called Salvage Dogs on DIY ("Ghent Row" from 6/1/13), and they're taking out a bar from an old house.

They've determined the wood is Paduka and pronounce it that way, and there's even a pop up that spells it that way. One of the guys describes it some more and says that cabinet makers like to use it because it is easy to work with.

I'm scratching my head the whole time and figuring they mean Padauk which I've working with before. As far as I know it's expensive and not used too much.

Is there a wood called Paduka, or do these guys just think they know more than they do?

Mike Hollingsworth
06-28-2013, 10:11 AM
I find that the guys on these reality shows don't know diddly.

Jamie Lynch
06-28-2013, 10:59 AM
I totally agree Mike!

Joe Hillmann
06-28-2013, 11:41 AM
It may be a regional thing. Around here poplar is called popple. Padauk may also have different regional names. Or they may just be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time something on tv was misleading.

George Gyulatyan
06-28-2013, 12:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paduka :p

Tony Joyce
06-28-2013, 2:59 PM
or do these guys just think they know more than they do?
Bingo, we have a winner It takes very little to determine this. (See George's post):p

Jim Rimmer
07-02-2013, 1:48 PM

From an earlier post, these guys would be "exactly" wrong. :D

Dan Friedrichs
07-02-2013, 2:01 PM
From an earlier post, these guys would be "exactly" wrong. :D

Absolutely! :D

Stew Hagerty
07-02-2013, 2:10 PM
From what I have seen, all of DIY's shows (the ones that I have suffered through at least) are created by people who have never picked up a hammer; and they are intended for people who never should pick up a hammer.

They are incredibly simplistic, too often just plain wrong (ie, the subject of this thread), and appear to be on the air for the sole purpose of the advertisements that they air about every 6 minutes.

Every show that I have seen has about 3 minutes of commercials for every 6 minutes of show, and probably 1 to 1 1/2 minutes of each of the 6 minute segments is spent recapping what has happened so far in the show. For a 30 minute show that only leaves around 15 minutes of actual "show" after you take out the opening and closing credits.

Jim Matthews
07-02-2013, 5:13 PM
I believe they're actually correct, although their spelling is antiquated.

Lots of wood comes from Paducah, Kentucky USA.
Most of it was salvaged from pallets to shift Bourbon Whiskey across state lines.

When I see "reality TV" I think, some greedy producer couldn't be bothered to pay a writer.
It's the main reason I cancelled my cable service the day after the Stanley cup final.

Chris Fournier
07-02-2013, 9:27 PM
I believe they're actually correct, although their spelling is antiquated.

Lots of wood comes from Paducah, Kentucky USA.
Most of it was salvaged from pallets to shift Bourbon Whiskey across state lines.

When I see "reality TV" I think, some greedy producer couldn't be bothered to pay a writer.
It's the main reason I cancelled my cable service the day after the Stanley cup final.

I'm impressed by your threshold for the ridiculous! I stopped watching hockey after the previous lockout. More time to play it and hell I'm Canadian, it's all we have! There is maple syrup of course...

You have to be very careful about calling out someone on exotics nomenclature because there are about 27 names to identify the same species. A company imports a good buy and they have a unique name for a known species yet their product has miracle properties. I wouldn't jump on these guys so fast but I can say that the idea that padauk, the African species being used in pallets to ship bourbon is barely plausible!