PDA

View Full Version : "I's had enough and enough is too much!"

Reed Gray
06-27-2013, 3:18 PM
Reed is off fishing for a week and wanted this posted for safety reasons.

http://youtu.be/F4qIM_-Jzgk

bob svoboda
06-27-2013, 4:13 PM
Excellent video. Thanks, Reed!

Dick Latshaw
06-27-2013, 4:43 PM
Nicely done. Thanks for taking the time.

Tim Leiter
06-27-2013, 5:02 PM
Excellent video Reed, very good instructions. It will help me with my bowl turning I am sure. I will put it on my favorites list.................Tim.

Bernie Weishapl
06-27-2013, 5:42 PM
Excellent video Reed.

John Sanders
06-27-2013, 9:57 PM
Thank you . . . . I have a similar hole in a 3/8" plywood wall. . . . scared the bejeezus out of me . . . . better the hole in the wall than the hole in the head . . . . excellent and timely.

Jim Burr
06-27-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm sure given the "name" you feel it's alright to demonstrate good technique, but poor practice. Don't walk into my ER with your Superman attitude and "oops". If you don't cover you face and lungs...why bother. Another post that should be banned for poor turning practice.

Jon Lanier
06-28-2013, 2:13 AM
This cool! I did not realize I did it correctly. It just seems natural to keep your head out of the way. Spindles on the other hand are a bit different.

Mike Golka
06-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Good video but as Jim points out there is more to working safely. As a superintendent who is routinely responsible for over 200 tradesmen in an industrial environment it is important to cover all hazards. We routinely talk about line of fire on the job but also ensure folks are wearing the required personal protective equipment properly. Flying objects are an immediate hazard and all step need to be taken to eliminate them. Any hazard the can not be eliminated needs to be controlled. If it cannot be completely controlled PPE must be worn as a last defense. There are 2 main hazards in wood turning, flying objects and airborne contaminants. The first can kill instantly the other can take years, either way you are just as dead. Please follow the same attitude we have about safety in the workplace at home. Remember to think about all the hazards involved with whatever you're doing and take the appropriate precautions.

Mike Cruz
06-28-2013, 1:42 PM
I appreciate Reed's desire to make turning safer. I appreciate him putting this video out for new (and old) turners to watch and learn. However, I do have to give Jim props for sticking with his belief that Reed is being unsafe by not protecting his face and lungs. it is, of course, Reed's choice to do what he wants (as long as he is paying for his own insurance, and isn't getting some government subsidized insurance that essentially, I pay for). We DON'T want the government stepping in and telling us what we can and can't do while turning...or it will be against the law to do other than they say. But kudos to you, Jim, for not just being a sheep and saying "good post" when you don't think it is. I get sick of seeing "Great" from everyone without anyone actually speaking their mind...or just not posting because they don't want to look like the only guy that disagrees.

Dave Fritz
06-29-2013, 8:37 AM
I've never seen a video or demo by anyone in which they're wearing their complete head gear and safety equipment. It's hard to be heard when you have all that stuff on. Reed mentions his head gear in the video and I'm sure is well aware of the dangers of going without one.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to make the video.

Dave F.

Grant Wilkinson
06-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Dave: I don't want to take this off topic, but Bill Grumbine in his videos, wears his 3M Airmate while demonstrating.

On topic, it is obviously preferable to stand out of the way of flying objects rather than standing where they are flying and hope your protection works. However, I believe it is a bit simplistic to advise to stay out of the line of fire and conclude that you will be fine most of the time. Pieces frequently do come off in the "line of fire". However, they also hit lathe parts and bounce. If a bouncing piece hits an unprotected face, it may not have the force of a direct hit, but I believe that facial parts can still be broken. I got hit by a bounce from the headstock. It hit my chest and hurt like hell for a week or so. I was not in the line of fire. But, I was in the line of ricochet.

Lee Koepke
06-29-2013, 9:44 PM
Excellent video! Thanks for taking the time to do that, if it saves ONE person, it was worth it. I find myself thinking about the 'line of fire' quite often, and as you said - those thoughts started by getting wet with green wood. I have been lucky and only pieces of bark have flown across my shop, each time I look and see how my rib cage or jawbone would have stood up to that projectile!

Scott Lux
06-30-2013, 9:34 AM
I never turn or even sand without at least a face shield. Usually I'm wearing my Trend. But, I'm glad Reed posted this. I've been standing in the line of fire almost every time I turn.

After watching this, I tried to correct that. Tough to change old habits.

i wonder if the classic turning position came about before lathes were capable of moving 40lbs of wood at 3000 rpm? (I never turn bowls or anything bigger than a pen at that speed. I prefer that my lathe stands still.)

Reed Gray
07-01-2013, 8:32 PM
Back from fishing now. I don't wear any dust mask when turning because I only turn wet wood for my bowls, and what chunks I do ingest will come back up no problem. When sanding, I use a hood that covers the bowl so no dust gets out. Like I said, not wearing a face mask might not be the best idea. Still, we need to teach and preach how to turn while standing out of the line of fire. I can do my rolling pins while standing out of the line of fire as well.

robo hippy

Scott Lux
07-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Reed, the most important question about all this is,

How was the fishing?!?

Reed Gray
07-03-2013, 11:07 AM
On the water for 2 half days, and 4 full days on a conservation lake in NW Ontario Canada. I think I came back with 5 pounds of walleye on me from camp food. Went with my dad (he turns 91 in August), some brothers, and others. Huge walleye (24 inch is common), Northern Pike, and Lake Trout. Great way to relax....

robo hippy

Rick Markham
07-04-2013, 3:53 AM
As always a fantastic video Reed, it was enjoyable to watch, I always learn several good things from your videos, your personable and enjoyable to watch and you're right! All excellent points, and it will make me more conscious every time I step up to the lathe.