PDA

View Full Version : Who chews?

John T Barker
06-26-2013, 10:44 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjLou4PvdQZqDV8V9k8QRxs3nPHxRYs unEqi8GzeWWwa28yxsMwgGum I mean. I started a few months ago and chose this gum as my main preference. I was really drawn to these car cups which fit nicely where my passenger would put there coffee. It struck me that they also make great holders for stuff in the shop. The label comes off and the flip top seems fairly durable. It will probably still function after the connecting tab breaks.

Rich Engelhardt
06-27-2013, 5:11 AM
Chewing gum has been a Schedule I controlled substance in Casa Engelhardt for better than 40 years...
I made that decision after a heavily gummed up dog greeted me at the door one evening when I came home from work.

Brian Tymchak
06-27-2013, 8:11 AM
Unfortunately, gum and I don't get along anymore. It's kinda hard on the crowns...

Art Mann
06-27-2013, 9:31 AM
I gave up gum when someone informed me that I was too uncoordinated to walk and chew gum at the same time. :(

Ryan Mooney
06-27-2013, 11:57 AM
I made that decision after a heavily gummed up dog greeted me at the door one evening when I came home from work.

That reminds me: Xylitol which is a common sweetener in gum is highly toxic to dogs so if you have a shop (or car or house or..) buddy its a darn good idea to make sure he can't get into the gum.

Brian Brightwell
06-27-2013, 5:05 PM
That reminds me: Xylitol which is a common sweetener in gum is highly toxic to dogs so if you have a shop (or car or house or..) buddy its a darn good idea to make sure he can't get into the gum.

Highly toxic to dogs but OK for people? I am thinking about that!!

Jason Roehl
06-27-2013, 5:07 PM
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol, which can certainly be at least noxious to the people around you! ;)

Personally, I don't chew gum--haven't seen the point since I was a teenager 20+ years ago.

Ryan Mooney
06-27-2013, 5:16 PM
Highly toxic to dogs but OK for people? I am thinking about that!!

True of a lot of things to a greater or lesser extent. Tylenol will destroy a dogs liver, humans as well but much much slower (i.e. one tylenol given to a dog may kill it, whereas we have to take a substantially larger amount before unrecoverable liver damage sets in) - it also kills cats and snakes but via a much different mechanism. And I've seen my dogs eat some things that I'm pretty sure would have killed me .. if only from the smell!

Mark Blatter
06-27-2013, 5:58 PM
I chew, but mostly wood slivers as I find them around the shop. Milling out a piece of cherry, oak or pine, while chewing on a small sliver I encountered on the wood, clean ones only of course, is quite enjoyable.

My wife thinks I am sick though. I picked up the habit from my father who was always chewing on toothpicks....I think we buried him with one sticking out of his mouth.

Matt Marsh
06-27-2013, 6:22 PM
Yep, Wriggley's Extra Peppermint. Two or three sticks at a time. I have three gold molar crowns too, but I've never had a problem with them when chewing gum.

John C Lawson
06-29-2013, 1:34 AM
I gave up gum when someone informed me that I was too uncoordinated to walk and chew gum at the same time. :(

And you fell for that? :D

Stephen Tashiro
06-29-2013, 2:25 PM
Unfortunately, gum and I don't get along anymore. It's kinda hard on the crowns...

It's probably hard on the gums too. Whenever I visit the periodontist, I get the lecture about "There are only 3 times that you teeth should touch each other. 1. When you eat. 2. When you say the letter "s" ..." and I forget the third one. It isn't "When you're chewing gum".

Michael Weber
06-29-2013, 4:31 PM
Workmate of mine chewed Big Red constantly. Developed jaw damage from the constant motion

Stephen Cherry
07-01-2013, 6:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrDuqlk4ZDA

John T Barker
07-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Gents, this thread was not about chewing but about a suggestion for a source for plastic containers for the shop. If you chew the gum, great. You don't, I don't care. You chew something else, I don't care. I just wanted to share the idea.

:)

Bill Cunningham
07-02-2013, 9:58 PM

What a coincidence!! I'm so uncoordinated that when I was younger my wife considered it to be the perfect birth control product..:rolleyes: