PDA

View Full Version : My new 608C

Scott Coffelt
05-21-2005, 7:51 PM
Well, not new but new to me that is. I bought this on the bay for $103. It has a chip on one rear corner, but I figure I'll just do the Terry Hatfield trick and even out the sides when I refinish the plane. The japanning is in bad shape, so I will strip. The bottom is real nice and there is no pitting. The seller didn't say anything about a couple of letters that were stamped into to it, but it will not effect the usability, so I really do not care. I will need replacement wood, as the tote is chipped and the knob has a hairline crack (easily repairable - which I will probably do).

Now for some help in determining type.

Dates on plane:

* Lever says Pat 72488 and has Stanley sideways.
* Blade Pat APL 19 92
* Base Pat D. APR 2 95
* B on tote slot and also on back of Lever cap and behind the lever.

No raise ring on the knob.

Also, the brass adjustment knob is smaller than I have on any other plane, is that by design?

The chip breaker is clean of any chips, along with the lever cap. BTW, she is flat as a pancake and no twist, so very little lapping will be required. I figure a good stripping, re-japanning and some new LN iron and she should be a good jointer.

So any help with type would be helpful and also, opinions on my score is it a good one? I think so, but always wanting a second opinion.

Roger Bell
05-21-2005, 11:31 PM
Scott....why don't you go to Bob Kaune's (Mr. Stanley) website and check out his Bedrock Type Study......it is the best information available.

From the quickest of looks, you have an old one....circa 1900...I have a similar one myself.

go here:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/brtypes.htm

Roy Wall
05-21-2005, 11:32 PM
I believe you scored the Terry Hatfield special...........TYPE 3....

I was on the phone with Scott watching his bid.........I wanted to "snipe" him at the last second..........:cool: :cool: :cool: .

Looks like it will clean up well Scott - good luck with it!!! Give me a call when it's ready to go to work:p

Terry Hatfield
05-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Yup...type 3 all the way. You did good Scott!!!!

t

Scott Coffelt
05-22-2005, 9:12 AM
That's what I was hoping for, Terry must have been nice and let this one go. :rolleyes: :D