PDA

View Full Version : Face frame glueing

dougj1715
05-11-2003, 9:51 PM
I am about to glue a face frame to a carcass. I am using Elmers interior wood glue, (I know there is better but that is what I have). My question is, will the glue be enough to hold the frame on forever or should I use some additional method. Thanks

Bob Boake
05-11-2003, 10:50 PM
Might hold if it is a built in cabinet. If it is a freestanding pc that may be moved around it is more likely to fall apart. You don't mention if you are gluing two solid wood surfaces together or if the casework is mdf or ply. Plywood edges are not the best surfaces to glue up and would not count on the elmers glue holding. If i was relying on glue alone I might spring for something with more holding power.How about some biscuits or maybe some corner blocks and screws on the inside edge to help the elmers?

dougj1715
05-12-2003, 5:33 AM
Thanks Bob, corner blocks and biscuits, I had already thought about the bisciuts but the corner blocks is probably what I am looking for. Thanks for the reply.

Lee Schierer
05-12-2003, 8:43 AM
I normally cut a rabbet in my face frames and use glue alone. If you are using plywood for the sides, your joint won't be as strog and a face grain to edge grain joint using solid wood, but it should be sufficient if your joint fits tight and is clamped during glue up.

Biscuits do little in this situation except aid in alignment, particularly if you are using solid wood.