PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new Midi

Dan Case LR
06-26-2013, 3:48 PM
I've wanted a lathe for a long time, but could never quite make it happen financially. I have a few non-WW items for sale to benefit my lathe fund, but my beloved wife is suddenly encouraging me in the strongest of terms to go ahead and get the lathe (which might have something to do with that new sewing machine she has her eye on). I'm not about to miss the opportunity!

This will be my very first lathe, and due to space issues I need to stick with a midi-sized machine. I had my eye on the Delta 46-460 until Jet came out with the JWL-1221VS. Seems to me like the 1221VS is a lot more machine for the buck. Am I right? Feel free to tell me if I've got it wrong. I've got about a $2000 budget, but I know to leave $$$ for tools and supplies. While I'm sure I'll end up turning a spindle or two, what I really want to do is turn bowls. Is the 1221VS a good choice for that?

The other question I have is whether there's much chance of the 1221VS going on sale anytime soon. Any known seasonal patterns that might make me want to wait a little while? I want the lathe, but I'm basically a cheapskate. Not that I want to buy cheap for the sake of cheap, but I love getting a great deal. :)

Thanks!

D.

Roger Chandler
06-26-2013, 4:46 PM
Since you are stuck with the midi size space limitations.........I think the best bang for the buck is the new Jet 1221 evs you mentioned. I have the Delta 46-460 midi and the jet has basically the same features........just a little more weight and the inside where the pulleys are are identical to the Delta for the most part.........I suppose the motor is likely to be the same as well. I looked at one at a WoodCraft store and it looks like the same machine only different color and the ways are just a tad different.......both are probably made by the same manufacturer for Jet and Delta.

Customer service is better with Jet right now..........and a 5 year warranty like the 46-460 as well.........likely the best on the market.

If you could swing the space for a full size lathe, then there are other options which will leave you with a few $$$ for accessories.

John Keeton
06-26-2013, 4:51 PM
First, let me say I have only looked at the new Jet 1221VS, but have not turned on it. I did own the Delta 46-460, and aside from the switch issues that have been discussed quite a bit, it was an excellent lathe. It will turn any bowl within its swing of 12.5". I am quite sure the Jet will do that, as well.

All that said, given the recent ownership changes with Delta, the near unavailability of parts, replacement switches, etc. and the good reputation of Jet machines (I now own a Jet 1642-2), I would go with the Jet hands down.

They were recently on sale, and Jet has a sale about twice a year. However, my experience is that the price increases pretty much keep up with the sale price - i.e., a 10-15% annual increase in price vs. a 15% sale price. Waiting may not pay off, and you wouldn't be enjoying the lathe.

Peter Lamb
06-26-2013, 5:44 PM
I have had the 46-460 for five years and would buy it again. Does all I have asked.
Highly recommend it. Enjoy

Dan Case LR
06-26-2013, 7:35 PM
If you could swing the space for a full size lathe, then there are other options which will leave you with a few $$$ for accessories.

Just for the sake of discussion... if I could find space for a full-size lathe, what's my best option at around $1500?

Thanks!

D.

Roger Chandler
06-26-2013, 7:54 PM
Just for the sake of discussion... if I could find space for a full-size lathe, what's my best option at around $1500?

Thanks!

D. Here are two pretty good options in a full size lathe.....a clone of the Jet 1642 evs, and a larger version the G0733 with the same features.........they are both good performers!

http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-x-42-Variable-Speed-Wood-Lathe/G0632

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Duty-Wood-Lathe-18-x-47-/G0733

You owe it to yourself to take a look.........I have the first generation of the 18/47 G0733 [the G0698] which they improved upon with the G0733

Jim Burr
06-26-2013, 7:59 PM

Thanks!

D.
Only you can answer that Don. There have been a dozen threads in the last month with exactly the same question. What works for me may not work for you and vice-versa. There are reviews everywhere, ask your local club, visit a local or nearby woodworking shop...ask some one here near you if you can see what they use. John and I use the same lathe, while Steve uses his 1642 for finial work. The question is to broad to be asked or answered reasonably. Due diligence is needed by the future owner.

Glen Blanchard
06-26-2013, 8:29 PM
I have a one year old Delta 46-460. Had the JET been available 12 months ago, I would have purchased it rather than the Delta (primarily due to parts availability and CS issues).

Michael Mills
06-26-2013, 10:05 PM
I checked out the spec on the Jet 1221 several months ago and found it was 6 amp. That's a really really good 6 amp motor to produce 1 HP from what little I know.

If you are not set on electronic speed, I think the Nova 1624 at 1.5 hp and 16" swing may be worth a look. About $1250 and has a fairly short footprint ($950 from the service center for refurb but shipping may eat up the difference). Mine has worked just fine and I have never changed speed on a bowl more than twice and usually only once; never changed speed with a spindle orientation.

Tony Rozendaal
06-26-2013, 10:55 PM
I have the 12x20 Grizzly. My recommendation is spend the extra money on the Jet. I think you'll be happier in the long run.

Marvin Hasenak
06-26-2013, 11:12 PM
First I would find the local woodturning club and get a little hands on time. Just watching someone turning can be a real benefit.

Roger Chandler
06-26-2013, 11:50 PM
One of our own creekers has his G0698 in the classifieds.......a super price if you ask me!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?204296-Grizzly-Lathe-for-sale

William Tanner
06-27-2013, 1:12 AM
I started out with the Delta midi two years ago. Expecting delivery of a 3520b next week. Try to find a full size machine if at all possible.

Thom Sturgill
06-27-2013, 8:43 AM
+1 for the Jet.
I have the older Jet 1220VS and upgraded a couple of years ago to the 1642EVS. The remodel to the 1221 fixed many issues, notably the relocation of the electronic controls to the tailstock end where you do not have to reach past spinning wood to shut it off or change the speed, and easier access to the belt to change the speed/torque range.

J.D.Redwine
06-27-2013, 1:20 PM
The Nova 1624 is a great lathe and has a small footprint.

Larry Cutlip
06-27-2013, 1:27 PM
Bought the Jet 1221 a couple months ago. Just learning to turn, and it has worked well. Have turned some small bowls, mushrooms, and bottle stoppers.

Larry

Jeff Holoboski
06-27-2013, 4:43 PM
I recently purchased the Grizzly 0658...Nice fit and finish,whisper quiet,variable speed...The Creek here has some positive reviews on this lathe which influenced my decision to purchase...