PDA

View Full Version : Finished the trellis

Tom Fischer
06-26-2013, 3:25 PM
Finally finished the trellis. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?204367-Making-a-large-trellis-16-gauge-brads-too-big)
Posted 6/14

Using the nailer "sled" only two of the 16 gauge nails came out the sides of the 3/4 slats.
Used a punch to knock them back out.
So, seems it can be made to work, with the nailer sled.
BTW, the face molding is nailed on with 23 gauge pins (already had those)
Thanks for all the help.

Mark Bolton
06-26-2013, 3:40 PM
Very nice,..

Man, I missed the other thread, that lattice under the deck looks phenomenal.. What a lot of work though.

A couple questions, I have built a lot of planter boxes out of spruce over the years for customers and kept dry, well primed and painted, they last as well as anything else Ive built. Wondering however about the fasteners and the fact that these may well have plants growing against them (damp/wet)?

I can imagine that lattice holding up well given the air flow and obviously you have experience with building these.

I personally have never found much of a solution to small gauge fasteners blowing out. Im on a job right now with some of the hardest red oak Ive ever had in the shop and its just a roll of the dice sometimes where the nail is going. I wouldnt have thought it such an issue with pine though.

Very nice work...

Tom Fischer
06-26-2013, 4:35 PM
Mark, thanks for the kind words.

The trellises under the deck are the hardest.
The 6X6s and 4X4s are already there.
The 3.25 increment does not work.
All the boxes in those trellises are rectangles, not squares.
To get the intersections, I used an excel spreadsheet, then penciled it out on the 3/4 stock.

Wondering however about the fasteners and the fact that these may well have plants growing against them

If you use Stainless 304, I am not aware of any problems with plants or wood.

Mark Bolton
06-26-2013, 4:50 PM
If you use Stainless 304, I am not aware of any problems with plants or wood.

AHHHH,.. I must have missed where you went with stainless fasteners. My miss. It was kind of nice to see the pine option. To me it seems an easy trade if you willing to keep up the maintenance and has always served me and my customers well, though I often wind up being the one to do the periodic maintenance to protect my work! hah..