PDA

View Full Version : Did I ruin my drawer slides?

Verald Stevens
06-26-2013, 2:35 PM
So long story short, I was sanding the face fronts of kitchen cabinets with random orbit sander and didn't even consider removing my newly installed blum soft-close slides. By the time I stopped to look inside the cabinets, the slides were covered with sawdust. They still close, but don't glide nearly as well as before - they feel very rough. Whats the best way to clean them? I was going to shoot them with the air compressor and maybe even oil the wheels. Any other thoughts?

Here's the kicker, when I finished sanding, the faces looked so bad that we decided to replace them anyway...

Mark Bolton
06-26-2013, 3:21 PM
Dust is a major issue with most all soft close slides and the problem is they are lubricated so they can be sticky. We use Grass slides and they specifically make the soft close actuator easily removable to protect if from dust. Im not sure blowing them out will help but barring some other input thats likely your only option. Lubricating them is going to do nothing for getting the dust out of them. Its always a good idea to hold the slides back until late in the process but I can imagine getting excited and wanting to put them in...

Sam Layton
06-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Hi Verald,

I would blow them off the best I could. Also take an old t-shirt and/or paint brush and clean them up the best you can. I would not oil them. The oil will attract dust and grime. I would use some sort of DRY lubricant, then dust/grime will not affect them.

Sam

Dan Hintz
06-27-2013, 11:00 AM
I would think a quick dunk in alcohol or acetone to remove the now-contaminated lubrication followed by some squirts of your favorite PTFE lube would resolve the issue on the cheap...

Steve Baumgartner
06-28-2013, 8:56 AM
I would think a quick dunk in alcohol or acetone to remove the now-contaminated lubrication followed by some squirts of your favorite PTFE lube would resolve the issue on the cheap...
I'd avoid acetone, as it is likely to damage plastic parts. Otherwise, agree.

Verald Stevens
06-28-2013, 11:43 AM

By alcohol, do you mean rubbing/denatured alcohol? I would rather drink the rum. Also, I have a bottle of Dupont teflon in a spray can. Is that PTFE? Just want to make sure I'm fully understanding what you're saying. Plan is to try to clean them this weekend, then I'll post the results.

Mark Bolton
06-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Why not give Blum USA a call and ask them before you ruin them.

Martin Jodoin
06-28-2013, 1:09 PM
By alcohol, do you mean rubbing/denatured alcohol?
Rubbing or Denatured Alcohol will be fine, all you need is a solvent to dissolve &clean the stock grease.
I agree that acetone, could damage some plastic parts, i would avoid it. I would use mineral spirits but use what you have on hand.

Dan Hintz
07-01-2013, 7:59 AM
By alcohol, do you mean rubbing/denatured alcohol? Also, I have a bottle of Dupont teflon in a spray can. Is that PTFE?

Yes, and yes... you should be right as rain after. And THEN drink the rum...