PDA

View Full Version : How did you get so many clamps?

Keith Kelly
06-26-2013, 2:20 PM
When looking at woodworking articles & videos about gluing a series of boards together, there are typically an enormous amount of clamps used, like this one: http://amzn.com/B000FA0BMW

I'm relatively new to woodworking, and am ready to start gluing, so I guess I'd better stock up on some clamps. Is there a certain brand or store you'd recommend buying clamps from? Or, any advice for a beginner regarding clamp planning?

(I have a very nice set of other tools, so I don't really want to go HF on the clamps unless those happen to be very good. It looks like clamps will be an expensive purchase, so I'd love some insight from you guys)

Lee Schierer
06-26-2013, 2:28 PM
You never have too many clamps. Some folks go only for Bessys and other higher priced clamps and some use pipe clamps and some even get their clamps from Harbor Freight. Both get the job done and no one asks when the job is done what brand of clamps you used.

Bruce Page
06-26-2013, 2:39 PM
Most of my clamps came as X-mas & birthday gifts from my children – after I told them what I wanted.;) I’m fond of the Bessey & Quick Clamps.

Mark Bolton
06-26-2013, 2:39 PM
To me a lot depends on the type of work you do and then a lot more depends on your other source of income ;). This is my source of income, and considering some of the clamp racks you see from parallel addicts could cost 1-2K if your going to really set yourself up with clamps you'd better get your checkbook out.

I would imagine most people start with a few, then a project comes along where you need 2 more, then another where you need 4 more, you stumble across a good sale or auction and acquire a few more, and so on. Its one of those items where if you happen to see a good deal your better off grabbing it.

We use a large variety of clamps but by far the most common clamp we use is the jorgensen HD F clamps. They are handy and economic. Im personally not a fan of parallel clamps (ie bessey) but have several. I much prefer Jet parallel clamps over bessey but only have 2 jets that were free with a tool purchase. Never saw the need to buy more. Im a fan of a good pipe clamp and if Im going to spend the money on a bessey I would by an I beam any day of the week but thats just me.

Ryan Mooney
06-26-2013, 2:48 PM
Most of my clamps came as X-mas & birthday gifts from my children – after I told them what I wanted.;) I’m fond of the Bessey & Quick Clamps.

Drool.

I shop yard and garage sales (and the occasional online or in store sale). Clamps can really add up in $$'s.

Also keep in mind shop made clamps, if you look around there are a number of shop made solutions work pretty darn good (rope clamps, wedge clamps of various forms, etc..) and in many cases solve problems the commercial ones don't very well.

Harvey Melvin Richards
06-26-2013, 3:19 PM
I purchased quite a few of mine for specific jobs. I was making chairs and stools for about a year and a new tool store opened nearby. I bought a dozen 24" Jorgensen parallel clamps at a super price. Years before I bought a dozen 42"? Bessey parallels for a specific job that I no longer remember. A long time ago Sam's Club had 2 packs of 24" Quick Grips very cheap. I took some of them and chopped the bar shorter to make smaller sizes. I have a huge assortment of pipe clamps, some dating back 50 or more years that belonged to my Grandfather. Same goes with 3/4" threaded pipe and couplers, never enough different sizes.

Erik Christensen
06-26-2013, 3:24 PM
Yah nice clamps are not cheap but it does not have to be super expensive if you are not in a hurry. I got a lot of mine during sales - figure out what you are looking for (brand, style & length) then keep a sharp out for deals - when they arrive buy however much you can afford. What you need is entirely driven by what you intend to build. Clamps for chair construction (padded short reach & strap clamps) might not work well cabinet cases and visa-versa and neither good for picture frames.

Dave Cav
06-26-2013, 3:28 PM
You never have too many clamps. Some folks go only for Bessys and other higher priced clamps and some use pipe clamps and some even get their clamps from Harbor Freight. Both get the job done and no one asks when the job is done what brand of clamps you used.

Yeah. For smaller F type clamps, I have found the Harbor Freight models, bought on sale, work fine. I have purchased well over 50 of them to use in my high school shop class, and occasionally a student will break one by over tightening the handle and stripping the hole (in the handle); a little epoxy fixes that. I have several dozen in my shop at home and since I'm not (normally) as ham-handed as a high school student, they work fine. I think the Jorgey versions are made in China now, too.

I still prefer Jorgey pipe clamps because the fit and finish is a little better, but I will admit that I do have a few HF models bought on sale for one reason or another. They work fine. I have a few hybrids; old Sears pipe clamps with the toothed lever on the adjusting end that have worn out. I kept the threaded head, and put a HF sliding end on them. If you buy your pipe at a salvage or scrap yard, you can accumulate a bunch of pipe clamps pretty reasonably.

glenn bradley
06-26-2013, 3:43 PM
I'm another guy spoiled my the original Bessey K-body clamps which are sadly, no more. I'm glad I bought a bunch of them on clearance when the Revos were introduced. I do have a bunch of f-style clamps and quick-grips that always get used last, if ever, with the exception of some very deep throat ones that are used when such a beast is required.

Pipe clamps are what they are and sometimes they are just what is required. I use them only for really long clamping jobs but, they are versatile; just very heavy for most jobs. It is hard to say which clamps will be best for you as we all do different things and do them differently.

In order of frequency, I use Bessey Uni-Klamps, K-body, Mighty-minis, spring clamps (for holding things in place till I put another clamp on them) and specialty clamps (face frame, corner, strap, etc.). Your mileage will most certainly vary so start with a few and add or change as you find them acceptable or lacking.

Mark Bolton
06-26-2013, 4:07 PM
I think the Jorgey versions are made in China now, too.

Not true. All our jorgensens are clearly stamped "made in the USA".

We recently had some issues with a batch of Jorgensen HD F clamps where the swivel pad would lock up and rotate with the hand screw. It was the most frustrating thing being in the midst of a 20 clamp glue up and the clamp walking itself off the piece as the pad just rotated. I got so upset I sent an email to jorgensen that night. The very next day I was working in the shop and jorgensen called the shop. They of course said it was completely unacceptable and were going to replace the clamps, then through the discussion of what seemed to be the problem, to save time and cost, he thought swapping the swivel pads may solve the problem. The next day a padded envelope of heavier swivel pads landed on Fedex. Cranked the old ones off and the new ones on and they were slick as butter.

Anyway, in the conversation he responded to a statement in my email where I hoped in chasing big box sales I hoped quality wasnt going down the tubes, and replied with something to the effect that he was in Il and "all of their clamps are made right across the street".

Joe Mioux
06-26-2013, 5:05 PM
Another vote for the original Bessey K bodies.

I wish there would be a re-issue. I want a few more 12 and 24 inch models.

I got started with some pipe clamps and f-style Jorgensen clamps. I bought clamps on an as needed basis. I took advantage of sales. I have quite a few clamps, but nothing compared to some on this board.

Andy Pratt
06-26-2013, 5:36 PM
I have only ever owned bessey k-bodys and based on how well they perform I don't think I'll be trying another brand any time soon unless I get them for free. Bessey's are expensive but they will last you forever and they are the industry standard. Buy them in sets of 2 or 4 for the best deal, and use cauls to make up for the lack of clamps until you can afford the amount you want.

I have some of the revos too and don't feel that they provide any less clamping quality than the originals. I had some bessey uniklamps that were pretty sub-par in my opinion, so I would stay away from bessey's lower line, whatever they call it now.

I use LV panel clamp hardware with shop-made wood beams for panel clamping and it works great.

Phil Thien
06-26-2013, 8:50 PM
Not true. All our jorgensens are clearly stamped "made in the USA".

We recently had some issues with a batch of Jorgensen HD F clamps where the swivel pad would lock up and rotate with the hand screw. It was the most frustrating thing being in the midst of a 20 clamp glue up and the clamp walking itself off the piece as the pad just rotated. I got so upset I sent an email to jorgensen that night. The very next day I was working in the shop and jorgensen called the shop. They of course said it was completely unacceptable and were going to replace the clamps, then through the discussion of what seemed to be the problem, to save time and cost, he thought swapping the swivel pads may solve the problem. The next day a padded envelope of heavier swivel pads landed on Fedex. Cranked the old ones off and the new ones on and they were slick as butter.

Anyway, in the conversation he responded to a statement in my email where I hoped in chasing big box sales I hoped quality wasnt going down the tubes, and replied with something to the effect that he was in Il and "all of their clamps are made right across the street".

There was a recent thread at another site about this and it appears they (Jorgensen) are shifting more production to China. Not everything, but some things for sure.

Leo Graywacz
06-26-2013, 9:20 PM
Just bought them slowly over time. Usually 4 or 6 at a time, depending on the length. I mostly use 1/2" pony clamps. I have some squeeze clamps mostly 12" and 24". Very few C clamps and a few Jorgonsen's.

This is full now. And I have another 2 dozen longer clamps (5-10'ers)
http://fototime.com/2436671B791C4AE/orig.jpg

jack forsberg
06-26-2013, 9:41 PM
no one maker makes all the types you will need and not all jobs need the top brands ether. Start with bar clamps IMO and get lots as they are use full and will last a life time. get more as you need them and the next thing you know you will have a few. Its taken me years to get what i call a fair number but i still have times when i need a clamp i do not have. I would buy used and do.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/tool613/wadkin/stennerfinish002_zps263f0c28.jpg (http://s927.photobucket.com/user/tool613/media/wadkin/stennerfinish002_zps263f0c28.jpg.html)

jack
English machines

Steve Kohn
06-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Another vote for the original Bessey K bodies.

I wish there would be a re-issue. I want a few more 12 and 24 inch models.

I got started with some pipe clamps and f-style Jorgensen clamps. I bought clamps on an as needed basis. I took advantage of sales. I have quite a few clamps, but nothing compared to some on this board.

I also wish that Bessey would re-issue the original K-body. I've got 46 of the old style Bessey's, along with 8 Gross-Stabile clamps in various sizes. I'd love to dump the GS clamps and replace them with the Bessey's. I've learned that having mixed clamps is a real pain when trying to do a glue up. That's why I am always looking on CL or Ebay for the older style Bessey clamps. Like others have said, I've accumulated my clamps over time. I started with pipe clamps and have various other styles. My "go to" clamps are the Bessey's.

Nathan Birrell
06-26-2013, 10:51 PM
I have been trying to buy a clamp a month. It may not be the best way, but I can guess what I need based on the projects I have coming down the chute. My collection is growing, but still not anywhere near many of the example pics you will see.

Jack, it's interesting - I read your post and looked at your picture without seeing your name and noticed the Stenner machine in your picture. I thought to myself that there was only one person who I could think of having a machine like that from another Canadian forum, and sure enough, when I looked at the poster, it was you. I think you are becoming internet famous!

-Nate

Alan Bienlein
06-26-2013, 10:52 PM
It's not about trying to buy any clamps but buying the right clamps for what your building. Let the project dictate what clamps you need.

I personally use pipe clamps, f clamps and my go to clamps are some old Wilton bar clamps. I'd give up wood working before I would trade them for a bessy!

Jim Matthews
06-27-2013, 6:12 AM
I haunt Craigslist, yard sales and the local flea market.

I'll pay $5 for any functioning handscrew - most of the pickers will have other things next to it, that can be bundled in.
Most woodworkers "going out" will have more clamps than I need, but I must take them all, and dispose of the extras.

Clamps are easy to resell, if you find there are some you don't use.

The local "BoxLots" store full of Chinese over-runs recently had some F style clamps (the mechanism points toward the long axis of the clamp).
They were priced around $7.50 each and seemed adequate. Clamps don't need to be overbuilt - if the two pieces can't be brought together by handpressure,
the glue joint is under internal stress - no amount of clamping will help in the long run.

In short - you don't need the stoutest clamps, you need clamps that will adjust easily and can be cleaned.

I would avoid the long "sliding bar" clamps with the adjustment on top - these place tremendous bending stress on the thinnest portion of the top casting.
I've seen too many of the castings fail at the moment of setting the clamp. It's LOUD, too.

To my great disappointment, the wooden jaw quick-action clamps seem nearly impossible to use;
they have a smooth "spine" along their metal bar which makes adjustment fast, but slide as easily open as closed.

The cam on these (http://thebestthings.com/newtools/camclamps.htm) should provide plenty of clamping force, but never give me the kind of squeeze out from a glue joint I was taught to make.

Oddly enough, I would take one of the quick adjustment "squeeze" (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=328-1077&cm_mmc=Didit-_-SEM-_-GglProd-_-GglProd&003=18299132&010=328-1077&{copy:002}&{copy:004}&{copy:005}&10=328-1077&gclid=CNXI4sj_g7gCFc9AMgodYwoApQ) clamps you find at the Big Box stores over one of those.
These don't look like much, are ubiquitous at tag sales and can be had for little money.

Most of what I clamp is within 2" of an edge, so having a 3" throat is sufficient.

Buy them cheap, clean them up and put them to use.
The pristine, shining as new clamps never got used for a reason...

Brian Tymchak
06-27-2013, 7:58 AM
At the risk of hijacking the thread (apologies to the OP) I'd like to ask Steve, Glenn, and Joe what it is about the original Bessey K-bodies they prefer over the new Revos. I bought the Revo's (well actually, still building my collection up) and I love them. I'm wondering what I'm missing out with the originals.

Thanks, Brian

Mark Bolton
06-27-2013, 9:06 AM
Ill be interested to hear as well.. I find the action on the couple Revo's I have cumbersome especially when I use them in a vertical orientation. I just find myself constantly fumbling with the hand screw getting the action to engage the bar. I'm sure it's just what I'm use to but even help in the shop complains about them. If its a paralell the jets seem to be the first ones we grab.

Alan Lightstone
06-27-2013, 9:26 AM
I buy a few at a time, mainly at Woodcraft when they have sales, or I need specific ones.

I mostly use the Jet Parallel clamps, Bessey F Clamps, and the Jorgensen pipe clamps for big jobs, specialty clamps for the other stuff.

My collection doesn't hold a candle to some of the ones shown, and I can still use more.

Tom Hintz
06-27-2013, 9:27 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a conspiracy amongst the manufacturers that made sure there was some kind of sale whenever I thought I needed a clamp. seeing the sale price naturally I bought a few to finish off my clamp set. Until the next sale, and then the next etc. I don;t even know how many clamps I have now but I do know they are everywhere in the shop. I even have a 102" bar clamp......

Sam Stephens
06-27-2013, 10:21 AM
As a hobbyist, I can't afford the current prices of most clamps, on sale w/ coupon or not -jorgenson, bessey, etc. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere and frankly I'm not gluing up enough pieces at a time to need as many as folks who are making a living doing this. I have just enough clamps to get the job done, but no more. I have a handful of F-style clamps in the 12-36" range, most of which were inherited from my granddad. For case work, I use 1/2" pipe clamps (e.g. Pony) or the aluminum I-bar clamps from HF (which are a great deal IMO). Just thought I'd add another perspective.

Sam

Harvey Melvin Richards
06-27-2013, 10:31 AM
I'd like to ask Steve, Glenn, and Joe what it is about the original Bessey K-bodies they prefer over the new Revos.

Thanks, Brian
I have the older Bessey K-bodies (maybe 20 years old) and some Jorgensen Cabinet Master's (9 years old). I've never tried the Revo's. I prefer the Jorgensens over the Bessey K's. The J's will sit parallel on a bench when close to closed, the Bessey's won't. The J's have more clamping power IMHO. I really don't like the narrow diameter handle on the Bessey's, I have to use gripper gloves to use them.

Eric DeSilva
06-27-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm going to go against the grain and say I prefer the Jet parallel clamps to my Bessey K-Bodies. I acquired a number of the Jets when Amazon and others used to put the the "cabinet door pack" (2 x 24", 2 x 40") on sale. Used to see them for $120-$150, which was a great deal, and would buy a couple sets. I found probably 3 dozen Bessey K-Bodies on craigslist ranging from 24" to 50" for an average of under $20/clamp, which was too good to pass up. But, I always reach for the Jet clamps first.

As others have said, parallel clamps aren't the only clamps you'll use. I have a half dozen 8" twin screw wood clamps, a pile of spring clamps (again, craigslist), a bunch of quick-grip clamps that are handy for quick and dirty jobs, and a couple of the 7" throat Bessey TG clamps (which are invaluable when you need that kind of depth). I also use a bunch of the Festool clamps for my MFT, and really like their "quick clamps"--I can't say the same thing about the Bessey "kwiklamps," which don't generate anywhere near the same clamping force as the Festools.

My theory is buy them as dictated by projects, but keep an eye out for sales and on craigslist. And, if any of you K-body lovers want to trade some Jets for some Besseys, let me know. ;)

Leo Graywacz
06-27-2013, 10:51 AM
As a hobbyist, I can't afford the current prices of most clamps, on sale w/ coupon or not -jorgenson, bessey, etc. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere and frankly I'm not gluing up enough pieces at a time to need as many as folks who are making a living doing this. I have just enough clamps to get the job done, but no more. I have a handful of F-style clamps in the 12-36" range, most of which were inherited from my granddad. For case work, I use 1/2" pipe clamps (e.g. Pony) or the aluminum I-bar clamps from HF (which are a great deal IMO). Just thought I'd add another perspective.

Sam

Clamps are always worth the money and you can never have enough :D

Alden Miller
06-27-2013, 2:48 PM
One or two at a time usually. Which reminds me, I need to make another rack to hold the rest of my clamps. :D

-Alden

Michael Koons
06-27-2013, 3:31 PM
To reply to this question specifically...

I bought a few Revo's a year ago and I found I hated them. I had about 12 various size K-body clamps and always loved them. I was in the middle of another project and needed more clamps (that probably helps the OP answer his question as well) so ran down to the borg as I needed them ASAP. Found the Revo's there, assumed they were the same and bought 4.

They clamped fine for me, although I have found the action on the clamp not as smooth and easy as the K-body. They seem to stick more. When I removed the clamp after the glue set, one fell to the floor and the plastic around the mouth shattered after falling from bench height to my floor. Totally unacceptable to me. It's a workshop, things get banged around. I've probably had Jorgensen and K-bodies for 15 - 20 years and never had the plastic on them break like this. So in my mind, they are cheap and I will not spend one more dollar on them.

I need 60" clamps now and have stricken Revo's from my shopping list.

Aleks Hunter
06-27-2013, 6:15 PM
As someone else said, you can't have too many clamps. That said, you can have too many of the wrong kinds of clamps. The best thing when starting out is to get clamps as you need them for projects not simply to have them.
Most of the posts have been focusing of "F" type clamps, pipe clamps and pros and cons of different makers.
If you really want to develop your skills, think about fabricating your own clamps.
Consider starting out with some Cam operated "F" type clamps. You make them out of scraps and after you've done a few dozen you will be a better woodworker, you have a few dozen clamps and you have cash for other things. Make frames and use wedges. Be creative! Your inner creativity is a big part of what attracted you to woodworking in the first place.
Also get creative with ratchet straps, and even cut up inner tubes. There are endless things that need clamping that "F" type clamps are pretty much useless for.
Don't rely on the BORG or other retailers to have what you need. Look for plans and build exactly what you need.
For picture framing I use one I built on a doubled sheet of 3/4" plywood that is edged on two adjacent sides with hard maple, and the opposite sides with hard maple with t-nuts for threaded rods every two inches and different length hard maple clamping boards that fit on the ends of the threaded rods. T makes it very easy to square up the frame until the mitred corners dry.

Keith Bohn
06-27-2013, 7:50 PM
When I was first setting up my shop I'd pick up a 1/2" Pony clamp and a pipe nipple from the plumbing department each time I'd go to the home center. At that time the combination would run under $15 (include a coupler). I started with buying 24", 30" and 36" nipples (changing it up each time). Once I'd accumulated a dozen of each I concentrated on 18" and 48", and the occasional 60". The funny thing is I find myself using the 18" a lot.

The same goes for F-clamps. Gather the light-duty ones first then once you've got a bunch start on the heavy-duty ones.

It doesn't take long and doesn't seem as expensive when you sneak up on it.

jack forsberg
06-27-2013, 8:59 PM
Hargrave brand of Cincinnati Tool Co are old school clamps and if you ever run across some get them.

The Cincinnati Tool Company was founded in 1877. In 1925, it changed its name to the Hargrave Company, which continued until 1955.
The information below was provided through the kindness of John McCutcheon, of Grand Rapids, Michigan

A "circled H" on tools made by Cincinnati Tool Company signifies that it was designed by my grandfather, John M. Hargrave (1889-1975).
Edward Hollister Hargrave worked for Cincinnati Tool Co. in the late 1800's. By 1911 or 1912, when he died, I think he was running the company.

I got them at an auction with e biding i needed some 8 footer and got them for $20 a peace. these clamps are the easy to ajuist and stay put and must have a 6" thread travel on the business end. plus the I beam bar is very ridged..
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/tool613/004-20.jpg
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/tool613/001-29.jpg

if I ever see anymore i am grabbing them as they are the best clamps i have use where you need pressure . I find that if there is glue all over them they still work well not like the F clamps that must be kept clean. you don't see them F clamps in the rotating bar clamp set ups do ya, the F clamps are for light pressure gluing and for the most part that all you need but when you need pressure for curves or large glue ups you need pipes or bar clamps. though this are not a light to cling around they last for ever,

I just did up a big glue up of 8 40" x 84" doors with bar clamps and you can,t bet them for price per foot.
with some simile t supports they work well enough.

have a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjqgBoiSSG0

jack
English machines

Mark Bolton
06-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Looks like you need to invest in a door clamp!! ;-) Heaven help your knees. Never seen the shim method of applying glue.. Will have to give it a try..

Alan Bienlein
06-27-2013, 10:28 PM
Hargrave brand of Cincinnati Tool Co are old school clamps and if you ever run across some get them.

The Cincinnati Tool Company was founded in 1877. In 1925, it changed its name to the Hargrave Company, which continued until 1955.
The information below was provided through the kindness of John McCutcheon, of Grand Rapids, Michigan

I got them at an auction with e biding i needed some 8 footer and got them for $20 a peace. these clamps are the easy to ajuist and stay put and must have a 6" thread travel on the business end. plus the I beam bar is very ridged..
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/tool613/004-20.jpg
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/tool613/001-29.jpg

if I ever see anymore i am grabbing them as they are the best clamps i have use where you need pressure . I find that if there is glue all over them they still work well not like the F clamps that must be kept clean. you don't see them F clamps in the rotating bar clamp set ups do ya, the F clamps are for light pressure gluing and for the most part that all you need but when you need pressure for curves or large glue ups you need pipes or bar clamps. though this are not a light to cling around they last for ever,

I just did up a big glue up of 8 40" x 84" doors with bar clamps and you can,t bet them for price per foot.
with some simile t supports they work well enough.

have a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjqgBoiSSG0

jack
English machines

+1 Most definitely!

Here is my collection. I did add some jorgy heavy duty f clamps that home depot was closing out but with what you see in the picture I haven't had a project I couldn't do with what you see here. That includes doing entry doors, bent laminations or raised panel doors for cabinets. FYI you only need 2 clamps to glue up a whole kitchens worth of raised panel doors and at most 8 three footers to do the panel glue ups. That can get you atleast 8 panels glued up and by the time you clamp the last one you can take the first ones out of the clamps and keep going.

Rick Potter
06-28-2013, 1:05 PM
Glad you asked, I got lucky, twice.

I was buying clamps a few at a time like most, but one day 20 years ago, I dropped into the local ShopSmith store (yes they had a few) and found it was going out of business. I looked around, and in the back of the store where they did some teaching, there was a barrel full of Jorgenson clamps. They had the aluminum bar type, and the steel bar F clamps. I picked out a couple, and called out to the manager about how much they were (The Aluminum ones had a $20-$25 price tag on them). He yelled back that they were slightly used in the school, and I could have them for $5 each, or a package price for all.

Making an unusual (for me) quick decision, I yelled back "I'll take them all". That earned me some dirty looks from the other customers. In my creeping old age, I cannot remember the exact package price. I want to say $68 for some reason, but it was definitely under $100. For this amount, I got eight 24" and 10 36" bar clamps, and 17 F clamps from 18" to 36".

A couple years ago, there was an ad in CL about a local cabinet shop going out of business. Turned out to be a one man semi retirement business. Most of the stuff was from Rockler. Along with a bunch of other stuff, I bought twelve 4' Rockler aluminum bar clamps, and eight 4' bar clamp extenders with hardware. $2 per clamp, $1 per extension. Total $32. He just wanted them gone, so he could move out of the building.

Rick Potter

Michael Dunn
06-28-2013, 1:43 PM
It seems that Menards has an annual blow out on Jorgensen clamps. Each year I buy their entire stock. One store that is. Sometimes two stores.

Michael Dunn
06-28-2013, 1:43 PM
Try CL too.

Jim Becker
06-29-2013, 8:52 PM
I have a reasonably large clamp selection and I acquired them by taking advantage of sales and choosing to invest in them when I could. They never go out of style, either... :) Most of my clamps are Bessy K-Body.

Rick Fisher
06-29-2013, 10:02 PM
I have 38 x Bessey K-Bodies. Some are old, some are new style. I prefer the new style.

2 x Stanley K-Bodies.. Which came out and where discontinued.

16 x Bessey Tradesman clamps

2 x Irwin squeeze clamps...

Timothy Wolf
06-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Grizzly runs a good sale around Thanksgiving that lasts until after Christmas each year they usually have good deals on clamps that might be worth looking into I purchased 20 of the Bessey H foot pipe clamps for right around $11 each plus the cost of pipe, I went to Home Depot and got them to cut and thread some pipe for me, I got 6 48", 12 36", and 2 60" from 7 pipes, hd will cut and thread them in store for free, which is much cheaper than buying all the pieces precut. I had a pretty good setup for about 400 if I remember correctly.

Chris Fournier
06-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Over many years I have amassed a few clamps, I bought them as needed or when lust couldn't be resisted. One of my first shop projects was to make a couple dozen cam clamps for guitar making, the materials cost was negligable and I use them to this day.

Bill Graham
07-01-2013, 9:27 PM
Shop the sales papers, Craigslist and the big-box stores. I built up a decent collection of Jorgy F-clamps and cabinet masters by buying a couple every week or so at HD, they beat all the internet stores on price. That's gone, they've switched to Irwin. Now Lowes is the place to go for the Bessey K-body clamps but stay away from their F-clamps, they're 'way pricey. Rockler has a great sale going on for select sizes in the Bessey Tradesman F-clamps, heavy-duty clamps in 4"x8", 5-1/2"x12" and 8"x16" sizes. I jumped on that with both feet and stocked up.

Shop around, buy a couple here and there when you find decent prices and pretty soon you'll have a collection like Jack. I think he's the exception that proves the rule....

Best,
Bill