PDA

View Full Version : Anybody upgrade tubes to higher wattage?

Ken Smith Jr
06-26-2013, 8:44 AM
I'm wondering what all is involved with going with a higher wattage tube, I'm currently at 80 watts and might want to upgrade to 100 watt tube, would I have to change out the power supply or just swap out the tubes. I have a Morn-tech MT-L960, any other suggestions or help appreciated!! Thank you!

Rodne Gold
06-26-2013, 9:38 AM
Power supply and tube..you might find that the higher powered tube is too long , so you might have to do a little hacking of cabinetry to make a longer tube fit..possibly also have to get a better chiller if yours is on the ragged edge of cooling

Lucy Lee
06-26-2013, 8:51 PM
@Ken Smith Jr,
If you upgrade the laser tube ,of course the laser power should be upgrade, and the tube lenghth also diffrent, 80w reci is 1200mm,while 100w is 1400mm

Hope this can help you

Best Regards

Ken Smith Jr
06-27-2013, 9:56 AM
Thank you, by doing a little research, with the 100 watt tube the diameter would also be bigger? I would have to replace the tube cradle thingys also? Also, in your opinions for the money spent would I gain anything by upping up 20 extra watts? I'm curious if the money spent would benefit my machine? Again thank you!!

Rodne Gold
06-27-2013, 1:07 PM
I don't think you will gain much by going to a different diameter / slightly more powerful 100w over a 80w tube , the extra hassle of changing out cradles , aligning (assuming you can align a bigger diameter tube as its beam exit point would be higher than what you have ) , fitting a new Power supply and possibly chiller as well as cabinet hacking is not really worth it IMHO.
You will also run into another problem , and that is that you minimum firing wattage will increase. Most glass tubes will only fire reliably at 10% power , so this will creep up from 8w to 10w and if you are doing rastering of sensitive stuff at high speed and can't increase speed any more , you run the risk of overpowering the substrate....

Lucy Lee
06-27-2013, 8:39 PM
@Ken Smith Jr,
if for reci brand, laser tube diameter all same is 80mm,so no need to change the tube cradle. but now reci laser tube upgrade to Z series ,no w series again, and for the money, it depends on your mainly uses, usally nearly double prices than 80w,

Any others let me know

Best Regards