PDA

View Full Version : just use one chuck?

charlie knighton
06-26-2013, 8:18 AM
does anyone just use one chuck, or if they own more than one chuck, do they just use one chuck?????????????

Joerg Mueller
06-26-2013, 8:27 AM
I currently own 2 chucks and use them both a lot. Wish I had about 3 more. I like the ability to go through different phases of a project that require a wait time and not have to unchuck items and loose rotational concentricity.

Joe Bradshaw
06-26-2013, 8:34 AM
Charlie, I have 4 Strongholds, 7 Talons, A Grizzly and a PSI. I have three lathes with different spindle sizes so I wanted(noticed that I said wanted, not needed)chucks for each lathe. I really dislike changing jaws. I keep jumbo jaws on three of the chucks. I have the spigot jaws, #2 jaws and #3 jaws on the rest. I pretty much use them all at some point.

Doug Herzberg
06-26-2013, 8:52 AM
I have a Grizzly and a SN2, use them both and wish I had more. I also hate changing jaws.

Michael Stafford
06-26-2013, 9:06 AM
I have 10 chucks and use them all. I am considering getting a couple more Axminster scroll chucks as they are very affordable and work well. I have loads of Axminster jaws so that would help keep the purchase price down I like to keep my rough box turnings in a chuck while they equilibrate after hollowing. I have found this is the best way to assure concentricity of the work and it helps to keep me from having to remove more wood than necessary after the wood has equilibrated to the humidity.

Since I primarily turn boxes I frequently will have as many as 6 in progress at one time. It is a matter of convenience and a submission to laziness as I also hate to change jaws. I also use a lot of wooden mandrels sized to fit certain chucks so it is important for me to identify which mandrel fits on which chuck. I am careful to mark jaw locations and identify the chuck which enables me to remount the mandrel accurately.

A couple of chucks serve only as holders for jam fit stock for finish turning of the box bottoms.

Multiple chucks are a luxury which I enjoy. When I die someone is going to hit the jackpot....

Mike Cruz
06-26-2013, 9:26 AM
I have 5 Hurricane HTC chucks and a Oneway Vacuum chuck, for my big lathe. I have a small Technatool chuck for my mini lathe.

At some point or another, I use all my chucks. Just depends on what I am turning, and whether one is staying on a piece while I'm filling cracks and voids.

John Keeton
06-26-2013, 9:37 AM
Five SN2 and an older SN on which I have soft jaws installed. I usually am using no more than 3, but it is nice to have the availability of others - particularly when doing demos and having staged items already chucked.

Brian Kent
06-26-2013, 9:56 AM
You can have more than one chuck?!?!?

David C. Roseman
06-26-2013, 10:10 AM
You can have more than one chuck?!?!?

Indeed, and Joe B. (with 13) and Mike S. (with 10) are an inspiration to us all. :)

David

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-26-2013, 10:16 AM
I guess I'm the odd man out here. Yes I have 3 different chucks, one for each lathe. However I only have & use 1 set of jaws on each chuck. I turn mainly hollow vessels from 3" tall to 32" tall. I turn some logs weighing up to almost 500 lbs. all with the # 2 dovetailed standard jaws on either the Vicmarc 120 or One Way Strong hold.
I haven't seen a need for jaws any bigger than the standard # 2 jaws for my turning needs.

Roger Chandler
06-26-2013, 12:05 PM
I have 4 SN2's, one original SuperNova, and a full compliment of Jaws for them........each has a different set on it, and my latest acquisition is the HTC 125 chuck with the standard 2.5" jaws and a set of 5" serrated jaws....I wish this chuck and the HTC100 had been available back when I started, I would have gone with them.........they are very good!

I wish I had about two or three more........I also have a vacuum chuck, some cole jaws and have yet to complete a newer vacuum system for which I purchased a vacuum pump about 4 months ago.........it has been on the back burner, but I will get it up and going in time.

I agree it is nice to not to need to change jaws, although I still do occasionally, and then the convenience of being able to have one form in progress with another on the lathe.......same reason I got a second lathe.

Scott Hackler
06-26-2013, 12:18 PM
I have 2 SN2s. One has the factory 50mm jaws and the other has 75mm (I think). I do use both both favor the 55mm jawed one and use it 90% of the time. Now when I finally buy some spicot jaws, I might swap out the 75mm for those and then I will use it more. I find a need for something to hold finial stock and am tired of using the center of my 55mm jaws to do it!

David DeCristoforo
06-26-2013, 1:44 PM
As much as I might envy those with lots of chucks, I have only one. It's an SN2. I have lots of different jaw sets for it and, yes, it's a PITA having to change them all the time. Actually, this is only technically accurate because I acquired a Nova Titan for my big bowl lathe so I really have two chucks but since they do not interchange, I really only have one "per lathe". I do have several screw chucks and a couple of "homemade" vacuum chucks and a collet chuck and a drill chuck with a #2 morse taper so if you count them... well you can add them up if you want...

Robert Henrickson
06-26-2013, 2:03 PM
I have a couple G3s, with a variety of jaw sets -- used mostly for spindle turning, and a Stronghold with several jaw sets. The G3 was bought when I had only a mini lathe. I also have an offset/eccentric chuck I built, and a couple others under construction.

Wally Dickerman
06-26-2013, 2:14 PM
Chucks? Yeah, I have a few Strongholds and Talons. Truth is, I use a glue block and screw chuck (Glaser) much of the time. I do use a Talon with small spigot jaws for spindle turnings such as finials and pedestals.

The 4-jaw chuck which is much in use today didn't come along until about 1990 when the Nova chuck was introduced. Faceplates were the norm before that. During the late 80's there were chucks such as the 6-in-one collet chuck made in the UK.

Some turners, myself included used a machinist 3-jaw chuck. Not a very secure hold and a real knuckle buster.

charlie knighton
06-26-2013, 2:21 PM
DD you qualify, not sure for what, but i also only use one chuck, the stronghold

Michael Stafford
06-26-2013, 2:31 PM
Indeed, and Joe B. (with 13) and Mike S. (with 10) are an inspiration to us all. :)

David

David, I failed to mention I bought all but three of them used which certainly makes them more affordable. I highly recommend keeping an eye out for used chucks for sale. Most of the time they need little more than a good cleaning.

bob svoboda
06-26-2013, 2:44 PM
1 original SN, 3 SN2's, 1 G3 and 1 Stronghold. Several jaws for each style.

Dale Coons
06-26-2013, 3:32 PM
two, regular and spigot jaws, wish I had more....

Richard Jones
06-26-2013, 4:00 PM
does anyone just use one chuck, or if they own more than one chuck, do they just use one chuck?????????????

BLASPHEMY!!! 5 SN2s, 3 G3's.
If anyone ever tells my wife that you can get by with just one chuck, I'm coming to visit you..............

Tim Leiter
06-26-2013, 4:49 PM
I have 3 chucks: 1 Woodcraft WoodRiver chuck with 4 sets of jaws, screw center plus 10" jumbo jaws, 1 PSI Barracuda3 chuck with 3 sets of jaws, screw center and 1 PSI Chrome lathe chuck with 2 sets of jaws, screw center, 8" jumbo jaws and a blank drilling jaw set. Haven't used the PSI blank drilling jaws yet but I hope they will help with drilling the smaller diameter pen blanks and maybe the antlers......................Tim.

Clint Baxter
06-26-2013, 6:06 PM
SN2, G3, 2 Talons, Stronghold and 2 Vicmark 120s. Plenty of jaws to go along with them. Typically keep different jaw sets on most but change the jaws often enough to wish for more chucks.

Clint

Jim Burr
06-26-2013, 8:07 PM
SN2 refurb x2 and a Barracuda...multiple chucks...as funds become available, are great things!!

Doug Herzberg
06-26-2013, 11:14 PM
BLASPHEMY!!! 5 SN2s, 3 G3's.
If anyone ever tells my wife that you can get by with just one chuck, I'm coming to visit you..............

Best response so far! I'm thinking about showing this thread to my wife so she'll feel sorry for me with only 2.

Doug Herzberg
06-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Multiple chucks are a luxury which I enjoy. When I die someone is going to hit the jackpot....

Don't die soon, Michael, but you could mention to your wife that I only have two chucks.

I did show the thread to my wife. Bonus: She didn't know you can have more than one lathe. Christmas is coming . . . .

Jon Lanier
06-27-2013, 12:05 AM
I'm going to be rare and say, "Yep, I only own one Chuck." And yes, I use it all the time. I wish I had several chucks so I could different jaws on them. Gotta change out jaw quite a bit. It is my life.

Pat Scott
06-27-2013, 10:41 AM
I have 6 Vicmarc chucks: 3 of the VM100, and 3 of the VM120. I still have to change jaws once in a while so will add 1 more of each size in the future.

I also have all 3 sizes of Oneway vacuum chucks (3.5", 5.5", 8"). I use the 5.5" vacuum chuck 99% of the time.

Bernie Weishapl
06-27-2013, 5:48 PM
I have 2 Vic's. One 120 and one 100 plus 5 grizzly's which use the same jaws as the Vic's. I use everyone of them at one time or another depending on what I am turning.

charlie knighton
06-27-2013, 8:32 PM
Jon L you qualify too, no prizes sorry

Stan Smith
12-30-2013, 1:26 PM
two, regular and spigot jaws, wish I had more....

Same here. I have a Talon and Stronghold. I have regular jaws on one and spigot jaws on the other. I too hate changing jaws. I do have some large jaws with rubber pins and also the mini with rubber pins. However, since I only have a mini lathe now, I don't use these larger jaws. I recently got a set of collett chucks and also some rubber jam chucks that are used with a drill chuck. the jam chuck comes with a set of forstner bits for each jam chuck size. Obviously both of these types of chuck are used for small projects. It's nice to have some choices now.

Bill White
12-30-2013, 2:09 PM
Dang! I feel just plain lonesome 'cause I only have the Vicmarc clone from Grizz, but I DO have a lot of hammers if that counts for anything. :)
Bill