PDA

View Full Version : Ebonized Mesquite

Kathy Marshall
06-26-2013, 12:35 AM
I've been busy working on a flat work project, among other things, and haven't touched the lathe in about 2 weeks. Yesterday I decided to take a break and get in a turning fix.
I turned this little end grain hf from a small log I found in the wood pile. There is a little recess in the top for a lid that I'm still working on. After turning and sanding, I ebonized it using the vinegar/steel wool solution, but before applying that solution, I brushed on another solution made from quebracho dissolved in water. Quebracho is a powdered form of tannic acid extract from the bark of the quebracho tree. I was given some of the powder from a fellow club member who uses it to help with the ebonizing process, especially on woods low in tannins. I didn't really need to use it with mesquite, but I wanted to give it a try. I did notice that it darkened up the sapwood more than the vinegar/steel wool solution does on it's own.
After ebonizing, I applied a couple of coats of lacquer sanding sealer and called it done.
It's about 4" x 4" and it felt good to make some shavings again!
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Roger Chandler
06-26-2013, 7:45 AM
That is a cute little form, Kathy. Are you planing a finial for that recess in the top?

Dale Gillaspy
06-26-2013, 8:49 AM
I really like it Kathy. I'd never heard of Quebracho before. Interesting.

Robert Henrickson
06-26-2013, 9:07 AM
See http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/ebonizing_wood

Kathy Marshall
06-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Thanks everyone!

That is a cute little form, Kathy. Are you planing a finial for that recess in the top?
Roger, I'm working on a lid for it, something different. It may just end up in the scrap pile, but we'll see.

I really like it Kathy. I'd never heard of Quebracho before. Interesting.
I got it from Earl, he says he's had very good results with it. If I have time to experiment with it more before the next meeting, I'll bring some pieces in.

See http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/ebonizing_wood
Thanks for the link Robert! That gave me some good info on the process.