PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Overhang

Ennis O 'Neal
06-25-2013, 7:00 PM
I'm just getting started in woodworking and this is my first post. At this point I don't have the tools to make a true woodworking bench. My new bench must serve multiple functions so it is will be a kind oh hybrid. I plan to install a front vise later. The base is kind cool. It is made of 4x4 and 2x3 steel tubing that I had powder coated. The base is 80" w x 26" d x 34"h. I have attached a photo. I am mounting a 96" x 30" butcher block top. I plant to mount the top so that my overhangs are 13" left, 3" right and 2" front and rear. Are my overhangs adequate to allow for clamping, etc.?

Kev Coleman
06-25-2013, 7:13 PM
Depending on your clamps though, 2 inches might be a little shallow. Also you might think about drilling 3/4 inch holes in the top and getting some holdfasts. I think you will use those more than clamps on the edge of the workbench.

On the top, I am not sure what the tabs are for but if you are planning to screw the top onto the base in each of those holes, make sure the holes are elongated to allow for movement or that might cause some problems.

Prashun Patel
06-25-2013, 7:23 PM
Plan out our dog holes and make sure they dont hit the base.

Settle on your front vise hardware and measure for clearance before committing to overhang and dimensions.

Ennis O 'Neal
06-25-2013, 7:27 PM
Thanks for the comments. The vise I'm planning needs 12" clearance. The tabs are mounting and the holes are indeed elongated to allow for wood movement. The dog holes will definitely require planning.

bobby milam
06-25-2013, 9:33 PM
The overhangs sound good to me. I made the mistake of making the front of my glue up bench flush because I just like it that way but I wish I had given myself about 2" for clamping. I still have the sides and back when I need them to clamp. All of the clamps that I use right now, 2" gives them plenty of bite. That powder coat is pretty.

John McClanahan
06-25-2013, 10:13 PM
If the top is thick and strong enough, I would allow 3 or 4 inches overhang. Later, if you don't like that much, you can trim some off.

John

Mark W Pugh
06-26-2013, 7:05 AM
I. Are my overhangs adequate to allow for clamping, etc.?

Depends on what clamps you will be using. How much "bite" clearance do they need. I made my top flush with the base. I use clamps that can reach to the bottom of the top support rails.

Jim Matthews
06-26-2013, 9:25 AM
Will the top have a sacrificial front "rail" and endcaps?

You can adjust depth readily if those three pieces can be bolted on.
I don't think a 2" overhang is particularly useful, unless the work can be clamped elsewhere - the works tend to tip toward the lone clamp.

Sam Layton
06-26-2013, 9:48 AM
Hi Ennis,

Welcome to the creek. That is a great looking base. Before you secure your top to the base, just set it where you want it, and try clamping things to the top. This will allow you to see if your clamps will work with the space you allow.

Post photo's of your finished bench, Sam

Roger Davis
06-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Nice looking bench. I am curious as to cost of the steel tubing and cost for welding. I have considered a similar style bench made from 4x4 and 2x4 fir lumber. The lumber costs around $100.00. Thanks, Roger

Ennis O 'Neal
06-27-2013, 6:18 AM
The steel was just under $200. We have a similar bench where I work that I have had a real jones for. The powder coating was definitely a splurge.

Brian Tymchak
06-27-2013, 8:09 AM
Ennis,

Welcome to the Creek! That's a fine looking base. And I'm pretty sure you won't have to worry about it racking when doing heavy hand-planing.. I'm kind of curious as to what you estimate the weight of that base to be?

Thanks, Brian

Ennis O 'Neal
06-27-2013, 7:36 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Based on comments I made the overhang 0 on the back and 4" on the front. After laying it out, that would give me the best spacing for the dog holes that will come later without being over the steel members. The whole bench weighs in the range of 300 pounds. Here is a picture of the finished bench265249

Myk Rian
06-27-2013, 9:35 PM
Are my overhangs adequate to allow for clamping, etc.?
Not really. 2" isn't much on an edge.
If you plan to use a woodworking vise, you're going to be cutting some of that steel out of it. They mount under the edge, and 12 to 18" in.