PDA

View Full Version : A series of compromises - redwood/elm shallow box- updated

Roger Chandler
06-25-2013, 2:05 PM
I am not one to throw much wood away..........especially when it is given to me in a gesture of friendship, and I have a real appreciation for the good will that some folks have sent my way with some nice little pieces of wood.........different varieties that I would not likely get a chance at, that came from other parts of the country from where I live.

Such is the case of this piece of pacific northwest redwood........given by Scott Trumbo.......it was filler material in a flat rate box that had a gouge in that I had ordered a few months ago.

My first compromise with this one.......not having another piece of redwood to make a lid, and the blank is too small to do much with otherwise than a shallow box or bowl...........I decided to add a piece of elm.....the contrast was better with this elm than a piece of walnut I had on hand.....but the elm was even shallower than the redwood.

Compromise no. 2 is that because of the shallowness of the elm, I had to make a smaller knob than I wanted. Not as tall and a little smaller in diameter than is preferable.......but wider would have made the thing look like a step more than a knob.......so.....a compromise was in order.

Compromise number 3......just the design....using what is on hand vs. only turning something from special wood to meet a certain design.....given that I wanted to utilize as much of the blank as I could, and then the size of the piece of elm.........the design is not the best I could have done with a little more wood to work with...........but it is still okay. and useful.

I could have just made a different style lid without a knob, but the width of the redwood meant that this was a box that one should be able to lift the lid off with just two fingers while the box remains on the table.

This has a couple coats of shellac to pop the grain [which the grain is another compromise.......the redwood is not end grain like most boxes, but face grain and that limits the grain matching, etc, ......not ideal, but it will work] and then a couple coats of WOP....once it cures out, I can go back and sand back a bit, and then get some real shine on this.

There is nothing wrong with the turning of this..........just the elements I had to work with leave a piece that fails to have a lot of pizzazz! :D I think it is not my best work, for sure, but when one utilizes what he has been given........a stewardship responsibility is met, which I think is a good thing! ;)

265085 The box is 4-3/8" wide and 2-1/2" tall to the tip of the knob.

265086265087265088 Comments welcome.

See post #6 below for an updated pic with changes to the lid.

Wally Wenzel
06-25-2013, 2:14 PM
compromise or not that is a neat looking box, it is a lot like the box's I like to make, mostly on the small side. Wally

bob svoboda
06-25-2013, 4:07 PM
Looks like some pretty good compromisin' to me, Roger. Nice little box.

Brian Kent
06-25-2013, 4:25 PM
I think the compromise is the art. We are working with the natural limits of harness, grain, irregularities. Sometimes that can be minimized and we can start with a drawing and then make the piece to the drawing. But very often we start with an odd little piece of something and see what shapes it can become.

charlie knighton
06-25-2013, 5:27 PM
very nice Roger, it will grow on you and is very useful

Roger Chandler
06-25-2013, 8:14 PM
I just did not like it! Still wanted to keep the same two pieces of wood, so I took it back to the lathe and did some refining on the lid.........I took off the overlap on the lid, and added a slight ogee shape and some decorative rings on it...........still not an ideal situation, but the lines are better and it is an improvement in my opinion.........what do you think?

Doug Herzberg
06-25-2013, 8:46 PM
Definite improvement. My tastes are different that some, but I really like the change. I'm glad you had enough thickness left to do it.

Roger Chandler
06-25-2013, 8:48 PM
Thanks Doug........you are right about the lid.......it is feather light at this point, but still has some structural integrity.........so I did not go too thin!

charlie knighton
06-25-2013, 9:12 PM
sorry Roger, i like the overhang, sort of seperates the two woods, you could make the fit or nonfit larger , but you got to be happy with it not me

Roger Chandler
06-26-2013, 7:51 AM
sorry Roger, i like the overhang, sort of seperates the two woods, you could make the fit or nonfit larger , but you got to be happy with it not me

That surprises me a little Charlie......I think the ogee shape and the less rounded profile makes it look better......of course if we all liked the exact same thing it would be a boring world, huh?

charlie knighton
06-26-2013, 8:12 AM
the other form reminded me of the trail (Park Avenue) in Arches National Park, straight sides

David C. Roseman
06-26-2013, 9:10 AM
I like them both, Roger. Perhaps the second a bit more for its delicacy, but too bad you couldn't end up with both. As Robert Frost taught us in the yellow wood, such are Life's choices! :)

David

charlie knighton
06-26-2013, 11:09 AM
along the Park Avenue trail

Roger Chandler
06-26-2013, 8:16 PM
along the Park Avenue trail

Wow Charlie......with your keen interest in things that are southwestern, I can see how the original shape evoked the image of the arches in your reference........those are great pics, btw!

Not likely that a person seeing that box with no reference such as yours would appreciate the original form as you did........thanks for your perspective on it, however!