PDA

View Full Version : Sawdust Cyclone

Andi Drelciuc
06-25-2013, 7:24 AM
Hi all,

I'm from Romania and I was wondering if you guys could help with some blue prints or maybe some plans for

designing and constructing an 8000 cubic meters/hour cyclone used for sawdust.To be more specific, some documentation for building an industrial cyclone would be great.
The cyclone would be used along side a large sawmill.

Thanks in advance!

Jamie Buxton
06-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Bill Pentz site may help you. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/cyclone_plan.cfm He is mostly focused on cyclones in the 2500 cubic meters/hour size, but does have some help for larger sizes.

Andi Drelciuc
06-26-2013, 2:07 AM
Thanks lot for the reply Jamie, but I have already checked out Bill Pentz's site.A lot of his designs focuses on small shops cyclones, I need some plans for a industrial larger one.
Anyhow, thank you!

Jamie Buxton
06-26-2013, 9:37 AM
In his section titled "Cyclone sizing", Bill says "Another very positive benefit of this design is it ends up being scalable.....I designed one of these for a huge cement processing facility...a plastics maker, a coffee bean roasting firm.." So if you can't find plans for exactly what you want, Pentz' site and some work on your part may get you there.

Andi Drelciuc
06-26-2013, 5:44 PM
Yup, came across that segment.Trying to do my best.
In order to use less sheets of metal, the soon to be cyclone, has to be very efficient.
Thnkas

Ryan Mooney
06-26-2013, 6:05 PM
I think the biggest problem you'll have is on the part where the material exits the bottom of the cyclone. You probably won't want the "barrel under the cyclone" setup but something that allows a much larger collector (which effectively means its impossible to seal the whole container). Search for "rotary valve cyclone" for what I suspect you'll want there - basically its an airlock that drops the material through but keeps the air seal.

The cyclone body should be somewhat similar to the smaller ones, but will probably need more outside reinforcing structure in order to be built at a reasonable weight/cost.

Pretty interesting project.

Jamie Buxton
06-26-2013, 7:47 PM
..In order to use less sheets of metal, the soon to be cyclone, has to be very efficient...

Nothing in the physics says that the cyclone must be made from metal. You could use wood.

Michael W. Clark
06-27-2013, 1:02 PM
In order to use less sheets of metal, the soon to be cyclone, has to be very efficient.

??

You can scale up the cyclone, but you will not know the efficiency or pressure drop, these are not scalable and are dependant on additional variables. If efficiency (collection) or pressure drop is critical to your application, you are taking this responsibility on yourself. Local codes here, require that collection equipment for wood dust in production facilities be built out of non-combustible material.

Mike

Andi Drelciuc
06-29-2013, 8:35 AM
You guys have some very valid points.
I'll have some feedback ass soon as I start to develop the cyclone.
Still searching for an optimal prospect.
Much appreciation for your support!