PDA

View Full Version : My latest job and install...

Michael Dunn
06-24-2013, 7:22 PM
I can't remember if I posted any of these here along the way. I built a the white floating shelves and the 3 floor standing units. Today I installed 4 more 32" floating shelves, a 47" LED TV, an Apple TV, and two 42" floating shelves, and some super cool LED strips beneath the top 3 112" shelves. I had to install a new outlet for the TV which took most of the time.

To keep the cost down I installed a wireless remote controlled outlet to turn the LED strip lights on/off.

Bill ThompsonNM
06-25-2013, 9:28 AM
Nice work!

Mark Bolton
06-25-2013, 9:36 AM
Nice work, whats the finish on the shelves?

Michael Dunn
06-25-2013, 9:42 AM
Nice work, whats the finish on the shelves?

Thanx! Sherwin Williams semi-gloss paint and primer in one. Customers request. I HATE painting wood, but it fits their aesthetic.

Art Mann
06-25-2013, 10:36 AM
I am amazed! I have been watching your posts for a while now and it seems every day or two, you have a new project (or at least opportunity) going. I am aware that you are pretty much just starting out and I just can't believe all the jobs you are involved in. You have my admiration. More power to you.

Michael Dunn
06-25-2013, 11:01 AM
I am amazed! I have been watching your posts for a while now and it seems every day or two, you have a new project (or at least opportunity) going. I am aware that you are pretty much just starting out and I just can't believe all the jobs you are involved in. You have my admiration. More power to you.

Thanx Art!!!

Jeff Monson
06-25-2013, 11:05 AM
I HATE painting wood, but it fits their aesthetic.

Yep, paint is for cars and kids to put their fingers in, not for wood! Kidding aside, nice work Micheal, I'll agree with Art, you have a lot of irons in the fire!

Steve Barksdale
06-25-2013, 9:48 PM
Nicely done, sir. Mind if I ask how you made the floating shelves?

Michael Dunn
06-26-2013, 7:36 AM
Nicely done, sir. Mind if I ask how you made the floating shelves?

My design is a by rid of two or three variations I found online. One had a cleat mounted to the wall and then the shelf screws onto it. The face pieces are rabbeted to hide the plywood core.

The other has a frame that is mounted and a sleeve that goes over it. This one had exposed plywood edges.

Though mine were to be painted I wanted to have a solid face face. So I rabbeted the 2"x4"s. 1/2"x15/32". Then I notched out part of the front faces to accept the side faces. Glued and brad nailed them in place. Then glued and brad nailed 1/2" plywood to fit into the rabbets on the top and bottom.

I mounted the frame using toggle bolts since the walls had steel studs.

I face and edge jointed several 2"x4"s, then ripped and planed them to 1-1/4"x3".

Michael Dunn
06-26-2013, 7:54 AM
Then I rounded over all edges.

Mark Bolton
06-26-2013, 8:57 AM
I mounted the frame using toggle bolts since the walls had steel studs.

Are they just toggled into the drywall? Or toggled through the studs?

Michael Dunn
06-26-2013, 9:02 AM
Both actually. Although the steel stud screws have no real holding power. Did I mention this place has steel studs?

Michael Dunn
06-26-2013, 9:07 AM
Are they just toggled into the drywall? Or toggled through the studs?

Oh wait, you said toggled through the studs. No. I toggled through the drywall and then used steel stud screws. My 1/2" bit is a bit too small for the toggle to fit through even the drywall. I tried getting the toggle through the steel stud but the hole wasn't big enough nor was it clean enough to fit the toggle through the steel stud.

Steve Barksdale
06-26-2013, 1:31 PM
Thanks for the pictures. That makes it much easier to understand how you built them. They look like you could put a battleship on them without worrying. Great design, beautiful execution.