PDA

View Full Version : great service from routerbitworld.com

mreza Salav
06-24-2013, 3:10 PM
I have bought a few router bits from routerbitworld so far. Have liked their pricing and that they usually have the items in stock and ship very quickly.
Wanted to share the story of how I was impressed with their service too.

Recently bought a 1/2" Freud 3-flute spiral up cut bit and in the first use while making some mortises using my hand held router (with jig) I broke the bit while doing a
simple plunge cut (no side-to-side movement). I have done this type of work many many times with 3/8" spiral bits without problem. This was a new (and fairly expensive) bit. I usually first do a plunge cut at the two ends of the mortise and then do successively deeper passes between the two (usually 1/8" deep).
I do the plunge cut also in an down/up/down form (to clear the chips).

The bit broke while plunging from inside the collet, as you can see in the next few photos. It basically broke from the last 1/2" or so of it and the broken piece was way deep in the collet. The bit was almost fully inserted into the collet and I am very surprised that a downward pressure caused this.

Sent an e-mail to them today explaning the situation and they said they'll send a replacement no problem!! (will have to send the broken bit).
I suspect having triple flute might actually not be such a good idea in such application as it has less space for clearing chips while making more chips at the same time. So I opted to get a double flute instead.

Great service from them and I'm definitely a repeat customer of them.

John Schweikert
06-24-2013, 6:37 PM
Freud would probably do the same directly. I had the small collar set screws come out of a router bit with a bearing collar, and Freud sent me 2 more sets of screws and collars no charge.