PDA

View Full Version : Exterior wood choice and suplier in Florida

ADAM GROSS
06-24-2013, 1:02 PM
I am looking for suggestions on the best wood to use on a pergola and a good source for material. I live in Michigan and my cousin (in Florida) contacted me with questions about a project they have coming up. They would like to build a pergola and they live in Florida. He was asking about redwood. I know that redwood is a fantastic wood to use for exterior but up here it is expensive. I don't know if redwood is priced better down there in Florida or not. He was asking for suggestions on wood and a supplier. Up here in Michigan I would suggest to use cedar or pt but I don't know about in Florida what the options are. He did say he would like it to last. I don not know if he was planning on staining the wood or not. I know that cypress is good for exterior also but again don't know the availibility of it in the sunshine state. Any suggestions on wood species and a retailer around the Tampa area would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dick Latshaw
06-24-2013, 4:52 PM
Cedar or, perhaps, cypress work for outdoor stuff down here. Two places to look for lumber: Craftsmen Supply Co. and Intercity Lumber Co. Be prepared for sticker shock. :(

Jamie Buxton
06-24-2013, 5:23 PM
Cedar? Cypress? $$$ Wouldn't pressure-treated southern yellow pine be the price/performance winner?

Alan Lightstone
06-24-2013, 11:20 PM
You could try Weiss Hardwood also. Not sure about them for cedar and cypress.

I picked up my last cypress boards at Intercity Lumber in Tampa, but Weiss is my go-to place.