PDA

View Full Version : Retiring woodworker - where to sell A LOT of tools?

Teri Bennett
06-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Hi everyone, my father has a lot of tools - power and manual, he has to sell because he is retiring and downsizing. He has many tools associated with cabinet making and construction all in his garage. He has been doing yard sales, but still have much to sell.

Is there a website, community or forum you know where he could sell them? I thought maybe there would be a place you could upload pictures of your items and someone would buy all or part of the lot? I'd rather not have to post every individual item because that would take a long time!

Thanks for any advice you could share.

Biff Johnson
06-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Hi Teri,

You may consider another alternative and that is donating tools and supplies. I volunteer at a very small rural school in Oregon that keeps it's woodshop program going on a shoestring budget. There are many programs like this across the country, fighting to stay in operation. Schools, community centers, tool lending libraries, etc are all places he could donate and get tax credits. Plus he could feel darn good about helping a needy cause!

Otherwise about the only choice is yard sales, ebay and Craigslist. Of course most the folks shopping those sites are bargain hunters so he will get lots of tire kickers and low ballers for every serious buyer.

If you would like more info on how or where to donate, please feel free to PM me. I belong to a couple of shop teacher websites and can link you to them.

Andy Fox
06-24-2013, 12:38 PM
This forum has a classified section. I think it requires being a paid member to post in it.

Rick Potter
06-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Craigs List is also a good place.

Rick Potter

Peter Aeschliman
06-24-2013, 3:10 PM
Yard sales are certainly the easiest way to sell... but it sounds like you've already exhausted that option.

The next easiest is craigslist, with an ad that mentions all of the tools (instead of one ad for each tool). As said above, expect tire-kickers, low-ballers, and rude emails.

For top dollar, it's ebay- list each tool (or group of tools, like sets of chisels) on ebay. Be ready for lots of work though.

Bruce Page
06-24-2013, 3:19 PM
This forum has a classified section. I think it requires being a paid member to post in it.

Just an FYI, Third party sales, (selling for a friend) are not allowed in SMC’s Classifieds Forum.

From the “Classified Advertisement Rules” sticky at the top of the forum:

"The Classified forum is intended only for the use of Contributors for the occasional sale of their own surplus tools. It is not, nor has ever been, intended to permit third party, dealer or commercial sales. Examples of those would be "selling for a friend", liquidating an estate, liquidating a business, and other similar situations where the tools are not actually owned by the Contributor. Obviously, we rely on the honesty of the person making the posting, but do be aware that improper use of this forum could result in termination of privileges on SMC. Members can respond to ads via PM if they are interested in something that is for sale."

Bruce

Roger Feeley
06-24-2013, 5:49 PM
Teri, you didn't mention where your father is. In some communities, there is a club or guild. The Kansas City Woodworkers Guild has taken on the sale of large collections for a percentage of the take. The group has over 300 members and some are expert in dating and pricing antique tools of all sorts. You might look into a local club and see if they would handle the sale for you. They would have a ready made mailing list and the ability to get you an honest price.

Art Mann
06-24-2013, 6:57 PM
In my area, quality tools sell quickly at fair prices on Craigslist. It is vital that you have good photos to adequately represent what you are selling.

Myk Rian
06-24-2013, 7:01 PM
Help your father create an account here, pay $6 to SMC, and he can try to sell it all right here.

bobby milam
06-24-2013, 7:26 PM
Craigslist is great for it as long as you have the time. Things go fast there if they are priced right. The ones that don't seem to sell is when they try to sell all in a lot. All of his larger things sell off separately and the smalls, group and sell in small lots. Using their barter section can be really good if you are willing to trade things for something he needs.

Brad Patch
06-24-2013, 7:51 PM
I recently attended an auction which consisted of a lifetime collection of woodwork related items. Some of the hand tools fetched good prices, others sold at bargain prices. I was surprised that only about 50 people were in attendance, after 3 hours all the tools were sold. The owners widow stated that she had the collection appraised at 9k, when I paid for my winnings the clerk stated that the total was over 8K. Some of the more valuable tools were sold on Ebay and they fetched about 85% of retail.

Dan Masshardt
06-24-2013, 9:03 PM
If I had the stuff, I'd Craigslist it. If I wasn't here and my wife had to do it, I'd tell her to have an estate auction. No work for you - all gone at once. Often the bigger items go for less than you'd think but the s all stuff adds up fast.

Troy Turner
06-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Check with local autioneers. If there is a lot, maybe they'll come out, if not, some around here will let you consign to be put in an upcoming auction.

Andy Pratt
06-26-2013, 6:16 PM
If he really has quality tools (post brand names/models here and people can help you if you aren't sure) then it is well, well worth your time to individually list them somewhere with pictures. If it is a bunch of craftsman stuff, non-branded hand tools and old power tools just yard sale it, "buy all or nothing" craigslist it and/or auction it.

My recommendation would be to sell all the small good stuff on ebay and the heavier items on craigslist: you will get way, way more for it than anywhere else and it is well worth your time if you have known brands.

For example: You will get $5 for a Lie Nielsen chisel at a yard sale, because no one will know what they are (probably), that's why you never see a LN chisel or plane at a yard sale. If you sell them on ebay you can probably get 10x that, same goes for plenty of other brands.

Craigslist is your best bet for heavy items, lots of people check it and you have a local sale and therefore avoid shipping.

Jerry Olexa
06-27-2013, 4:57 PM
Craigs List..You can include photos plus description.

Joe Mioux
06-27-2013, 5:13 PM
Have an auctioneer come and look at the stuff. Some auctioneers will bundle your stuff with others and have a large auction at their site. Easy way to move a lot of stuff quickly.

Charles Wiggins
06-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Auctions are big in this area. I've been to a few and most of the time shop tools, especially power tools end up selling for waaayyy above fair market.

Teri Bennett
07-01-2013, 9:58 AM
Thank you everyone, for your very helpful advice. We have been fairly successful selling through word-of-mouth in a small town. I'm trying to help my father long distance so while CL is fine for me, it wouldn't be in their best interest, safety-wise. And we did look into auctions too - they just take such a large % of the sale, we actually did better the old-fashioned way by local classifieds and sales. It's a small town in WI, so I think that's just their nature and way of doing things that they're comfortable with.

Sawmillcreek is such a great and helpful community. You all never fail to share stellar advice.

Teri