PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Ash question

Paul Williams
06-24-2013, 12:24 PM
We lost a mountain ash tree during a rainstorm last week. It fell against our deck in slow motion due to saturated ground. Does anyone have experience turning mountain ash? Any suggestions other than seal it up right away? How prone to cracking is it? the color looks good and there are lots of crotches. Also I'll add mountain ash to my previous offer of white oak or walnut to any creekers in the St Paul Minneapolis area.

francesco dibari
06-24-2013, 1:56 PM
We lost a mountain ash tree during a rainstorm last week. It fell against our deck in slow motion due to saturated ground. Does anyone have experience turning mountain ash? Any suggestions other than seal it up right away? How prone to cracking is it? the color looks good and there are lots of crotches. Also I'll add mountain ash to my previous offer of white oak or walnut to any creekers in the St Paul Minneapolis area.

with fresh wood usually seal heads with diluted PVA glue, but if is big, cut of the quarter or half to stop the radial cracks :)

thanks for the offer but I'm too far away .. :D

Rob Boesem
06-24-2013, 6:44 PM
Our turning club got access to a big mountain ash and a box elder that were being taken down in a yard here.....The mountain ash had a nasty rotten center and nobody thought they could get anything out of it, so I looked and saw some places I could get a couple blanks......Wish I had grabbed more! I could have maybe got some small platters.

I green turned and bagged it and it's doing fine! Color is beautiful and it turned very nicely!...There was some really nice quilting in it too. :)

Bill Bukovec
06-24-2013, 9:57 PM
I've made a couple of rocking chairs from ash and I thought it turned well.

I slabbed it into 2" thick pieces and sealed the ends with paint.

I didn't have much checking, so I don't know if it was because the paint or not.

Thanks for the offer of wood, but I need time to work what I already have.

Good luck,

Bill

William Bachtel
06-25-2013, 9:15 PM
Ash has one of the lowest moisture contents, on the stump, out there. Great wood for natural edge work.