PDA

View Full Version : Dogwood gloat

David A. Peterson
06-23-2013, 6:10 PM
I went to a new mill today. out of the way, invisible from the road, word of mouth is all the advertising they need, and they have been in business for 40 years. It is near Pinehurst, NC, where the US Open for both men and women will be played in back-to-back weekends next year. The course that is played is Pinehurst Country Club, course #2.

What is special about this dogwood is that it came from a very old dogwood tree that was on that course and was either sick or injured, and was harvested. The guy at the mill had the job of taking it out.

These rounds have no pith in them, and are 6 to 7 inches in diameter and over 2 inches thick. All came from one board, that was mostly dry. I had to plane it and get rid of the warp/wane, but the board started out at 3". All of them have a few birdseyes in them too! I cut them into rounds and anchorsealed them just to be safe. usually, i have to glue several pieces together to turn a ice cream scoop or a baby rattle. it is gonna be FUN turning pieces this big!

Michael Stafford
06-23-2013, 6:14 PM
Dogwood is wonderful wood to turn and finishes beautifully. Just watch out for its bite. ;)

David A. Peterson
06-23-2013, 6:40 PM
The dogwood rounds each have some birdseye in it, so the dog must have been a bird dog! (couldn't resist myself).

Alan Arnup
06-24-2013, 6:09 AM
Might as well add a comment as well.
How do you identify "Dogwood" - you can tell by it's bark.

Alan

charlie knighton
06-24-2013, 7:52 AM
good stuff, that is large, great find, enjoy