PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Alcatraz

Brian Deakin
06-23-2013, 2:19 PM
We are planning to visit Alcatraz in late July. We have been looking at booking an early morning ticket but are not quite sure whether this is the best time,particularly if it is a foggy day?

Also any tips on the best website to buy tickets from?

regards Brian

Biff Johnson
06-23-2013, 3:01 PM
Hi Brian!

We went in late June last year and the weather was incredible. I've been to The Rock several times. I would use Alcatraz Cruises. Nice people, clean vessels and well run operation.

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

I would suggest grabbing the earliest launch possible, it may be a little drizzly and foggy so dress appropriate but be ready to shed clothing mid day. I would plan on a long day because there is much to see and lots of walking, much of it on steep or uneven terrain. One could easily spend the whole day there because it is fascinating!

If you get a chance to go across the bay and see the USS Hornet I would highly recommend. It also is a full day to get the most enjoyment.

Have fun!

David G Baker
06-23-2013, 3:43 PM
I worked in San Francisco for over 26 years and I never took the boat ride. Shame on me. June should be a good month to visit the Rock but remember what Mark Twain said about Summer in San Francisco, "the coldest Winter in his life was Summer in San Francisco". Take plenty of warm clothing with you.

Raymond Fries
06-23-2013, 9:31 PM
Not sure about the tickets...

However...

I went there years ago and it was a really cool tour! I think they escaped to safety. On the boat ride there, the sea gulls would swoop down to catch food thrown in the air. Enjoy your trip...

Mark Patoka
06-25-2013, 12:12 PM
We were there last year and bought our tickets from the same site Biff Johnson recommended. They may be the only boat vendor since Alcatraz is a National Park Service park so they should have exclusive rights. Get your tickets early to ensure the date you want to go. When we were in San Fran 15 years prior, we tried to get same-day tickets and they were sold out. We made sure that wasn't going to happen again.

We went in mid-morning and ended up spending at least 4 hours there with the self-guided tour and just walking around. Dress in layers as it was a sunny warm day but out on the Rock and the boat ride it can be windy and colder than on the San Fran streets.

Jamie Buxton
06-25-2013, 9:06 PM
Brian, you don't say where you're coming from, but if you're a woodworker coming from a long way away, you'd probably be interested by a visit to an old-growth redwood forest. The trees are huge -- a thousand years old, and over 200 feet tall. It's like visiting a cathedral, but older and more natural. There is a small redwood forest within easy range of San Francisco, Muir Woods. http://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm Me, I'd take Muir Woods over Alcatraz, no question.

Bob Rufener
06-26-2013, 3:05 PM
As was said before, plan on using a good part of the day. A half day should do it. They have self guided audio devices that are very informative and well worth the cost. A fascinating place. I would suggest reading up on some of the escape attempts before you go or try to see some of the movies based on escapes and attempts. My first time there, I asked one of the park service people about an escape attempt I saw in a movie shortly before we went there. He was very eager to point out exactly where and how it occurred and pointed out a hole in the ceiling that had been repaired after police knocked a hole in it to drop grenades down. You could even see where splatter marks in the cement had been repaired. A very interesting place.

BOB OLINGER
06-26-2013, 4:03 PM
As said several times earlier, plans for a half day should do it. Very interesting tour. Prior to or just after you get back, take an hour and go through the submarine parked in the bay area, my recollection is close to the dock where the boats leave for the rock. The sub is an actual WWII, I thought very interesting, also.

Brian Deakin
06-27-2013, 1:30 PM
A huge thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions. I have booked the trip via http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/ as suggested by Biff and we have an early
9.10 am departure. The suggestion to dress in layers by Mark was very useful and Bobs idea of visiting the WW11 sub will interest my son aged 14

I'm not sure we will have time to go to Muir Woods as suggested by Jamie but we will try if time permits

again a huge thank you

regards Brian