PDA

View Full Version : Lie nielson, always. Bridesmaid, never a bride...

Chris Hachet
06-22-2013, 10:07 PM
So I have really been looking for an excuse to buy a lie nielson bench plane to my collection of wooden planes and vintage Stanley planes. I was thinking a number three might be a nice choice.... Made a little swap itch another local wood worker, and wound up with a type seven Stanley number three...cleaned it up and sharpened it, and it work just about perfect. Spent some pleasure able time in the shop making shavings this pm....

Amazing what old Stanley plane can do tuned up, but still thinking a lie Nieilson might be in the near future...so much for limiting the size of my plane collection to only what I need.

Jim Koepke
06-22-2013, 11:08 PM
They make some planes that are not always available as old used planes. The #62 is one example of that.

jtk

Andrew Pitonyak
06-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Glad you found a use for it Chris.... :D

Winton Applegate
06-23-2013, 1:47 AM
#3 and LN always. Bridesmaid, never a bride...

Well it would help if she learned to cook or was curious so she could develop enough interests to be a good conversationalist.
Or maybe looked in on engineering classes from time to time.
That was a bit harsh and mostly I am only kidding and playing with words.
However
I actually bought and used a LN #3 so I can comment.
Facts :
I have small hands.
I wound up banging my wrist bone on the edge of planks that I planed.
Modifying the way I gripped the tool did not help.
I returned the #3.

If you want a nice paper weight then I can recommend the LN #3 in bronze.
otherwise . . .
PS: surprisingly I bought the 25th LN aniversarry white bronze #1 for just that purpose; a paper weight.
I love that little plane and use it all the time.
No kidding.
It is kind of a between thumb and index finger grip plane for fine work but you can put that blade right exactly where you want to cut in the right hands and with a cambered blade it can take the place of a card scraper because it is so short.

Christopher Charles
06-23-2013, 12:12 PM
My low angle block plane (LN) is the last " premium" plane i would give up and the first i'd recommend buying.

Randy Karst
06-23-2013, 3:09 PM
I really like my LN #62, wonderful plane.

Bryan Robinson
06-23-2013, 7:15 PM
I have the LN #3 with a high angle frog, and it is really impressive. Just fabulous to use and I really recommend it. My LN 62 is impressive, also, and great to use.

Don Dorn
06-23-2013, 10:28 PM
To each their own. I had a few LN bench planes and like another poster, jettisoned them in favor of lighter weight Baily planes. I still have a LN 48 & 49, a large shoulder and a #102 block and have no intent to sell them. Obviously it's a quality product but I'm able to accomplish the same things with less weight and the irons are easier and faster to sharpen. I've also sold my LV BU planes and again, while high quality, determined that I didn't really need them and was able to accomplish anything needed with a few fettled Baily's.

Chris Hachet
06-24-2013, 10:02 AM
I really like my LN #62, wonderful plane.I am thinking that particular tool is high on my list of planes to get...

Chris Hachet
06-24-2013, 10:03 AM
I have the LN #3 with a high angle frog, and it is really impressive. Just fabulous to use and I really recommend it. My LN 62 is impressive, also, and great to use.The LN #3 HAF is at the top of my wish list right now....I am just trying to use Chris Swartz advice and not buy more tools than I need. Failing badly....but trying...

Will Boulware
06-24-2013, 10:37 AM
My low angle block plane (LN) is the last " premium" plane i would give up and the first i'd recommend buying.

I'll agree wholeheartedly with this! My Stanley's do pretty well for bench planes, but it's hard to beat the LN when it comes to a block plane.

Zach Dillinger
06-24-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm quite happy with my wooden and infill bench planes. I don't see a benefit to having the LN bench planes, but I do enjoy having a few of the LN specialty planes (a couple of blocks, the router plane, the large shoulder and the #9 miter). They do work very well.

In any case, wanting the LN #3 is quite enough of a reason to buy one.