PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening A2 steel - first impressions

Frederick Skelly
06-22-2013, 8:02 PM
Finally opened my new LN 102 block plane. Its flat and square as you told me it would be. It came with a 1/4" A2 blade that was sharp right out of the box. The back was very flat and it looked to me like it had a small back bevel (ruler trick-ish). The primary bevel seemed to have a small secondary bevel too. Nice tool - just like you said.

I wanted to see how hard it was to sharpen A2. So I put it in my Mk-2 and worked it on my 1200 grit DMT. It was slow going so I dropped down to my 600 grit DMT. Got it all polished up but one corner of the bevel. At 600, I just couldnt take out that little dip. Its at the cutting edge but its sharp from the factory. So I worked the bevel with 1200, then 6000. I didnt need to go that far on the primary, but I wanted to see how tuff A2 is to sharpen. Then I put a 2* secongary bevel on with the 6000.

Even with that dip I couldnt get out, Im astonished how sharp this edge turned out. I measured the shavings - 2/1000ths, which is about the best Ive managed so far. Could my success sharpening this so finely be tied to the type of steel? I mean, while it takes longer to sharpen, the edge seems much "finer" than Ive seen with the blades that came with my old stanley and miller falls.

Fred

Winton Applegate
06-22-2013, 8:36 PM
In case LN is monitoring this :
If I receive a brand new blade from LN that has been ruler tricked it is going back to the seller , LN or other woodworking tool retailer, the same day.

Frederick Skelly
06-22-2013, 9:01 PM
Well, Winton, it looked that way but in LNs defense, please understand that I COULD be wrong - Ive never handled or owned a high end plane before. The back was perfectly flat, except for about 1/32" all along the blade that seemed like it had a back bevel. The apparent back bevel definitely surprised me because I dont see why the factory would need to do that? Since I recall seeing an LN rep demo using a ruler trick during sharpening, I shrugged my shoulders and said "I dunno." It was also odd that the bevel wasnt flat all the way across. Maybe it was a return or something?

Jim Neeley
06-22-2013, 9:15 PM
Fred,

+1 on this. If you contact LN customer service and explain the back is other than flat they will send you a replacement pronto. This is the kind of top-knotch service you can expect and will receive from the top-tier hand woodworking makers around here..

Give them a call and then come back and brag about their customer service. :-)

As to your question, its not inherant in the good A2 if we compare it with good O1 or good PM-V11. The sharpness (thereby the ability to make the thin shaving) is more a factor of having a flat and polished back and bevel. The A2 comes in more on edge retention. Discussions in metals is a near-religious topic for some but it is *generally* accepted that an A2 blade will hold up longer than O1 (avoiding miniscule chipping) however an O1 can be sharpened at a lower angle without folding over (dubbing). The powdered metals such as PM-V11 are relatively new in cutting tools but are showing great promise, possibly usurping both of these materials for some purposes.

Older steels had more variation from blade to blade because their heat treatment was not as closely controlled as today's models. This is the reason there's a good aftermarket supply of replacement blades for vintage planes. Many (if not most) folks consider these upgrades.

Jim in Alaska

Derek Cohen
06-22-2013, 9:43 PM
In case LN is monitoring this :
If I receive a brand new blade from LN that has been ruler tricked it is going back to the seller , LN or other woodworking tool retailer, the same day.

Hi Winton

While not trying to sell a Ruler Trick for all occasions, it is a good idea on BU planes, such as a block plane, since it reduces, perhaps eliminates, the incursion of a wear bevel.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chris Hachet
06-22-2013, 9:57 PM
Finally opened my new LN 102 block plane. Its flat and square as you told me it would be. It came with a 1/4" A2 blade that was sharp right out of the box. The back was very flat and it looked to me like it had a small back bevel (ruler trick-ish). The primary bevel seemed to have a small secondary bevel too. Nice tool - just like you said.

I wanted to see how hard it was to sharpen A2. So I put it in my Mk-2 and worked it on my 1200 grit DMT. It was slow going so I dropped down to my 600 grit DMT. Got it all polished up but one corner of the bevel. At 600, I just couldnt take out that little dip. Its at the cutting edge but its sharp from the factory. So I worked the bevel with 1200, then 6000. I didnt need to go that far on the primary, but I wanted to see how tuff A2 is to sharpen. Then I put a 2* secongary bevel on with the 6000.

Even with that dip I couldnt get out, Im astonished how sharp this edge turned out. I measured the shavings - 2/1000ths, which is about the best Ive managed so far. Could my success sharpening this so finely be tied to the type of steel? I mean, while it takes longer to sharpen, the edge seems much "finer" than Ive seen with the blades that came with my old stanley and miller falls.

Fred

I think it might jut be new tool fever, which is fine....I can get having a two thou thick in hickory, hard oak, quarter San oak, Teak, or whatever else you please with my vintage Stanley's....might actually be the back, a the lie Nieilson a have a really nice flat back to them...

Chris Hachet
06-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Oh, and also, plus one on lie nielson customer service....

Jim Neeley
06-23-2013, 2:40 AM
Hi Winton

While not trying to sell a Ruler Trick for all occasions, it is a good idea on BU planes, such as a block plane, since it reduces, perhaps eliminates, the incursion of a wear bevel.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

I too am a fan of the ruler trick but I'd fully polish the back of my blade before I use it and then, when using the ruler trick, only use my finest stone to maintain that bevel. I wouldn't relish polishing the back of a blade that had previously been back beveled although that's probably just a factor given my <still learning> honing skills. <g>

Greeting from Anchorage, where we have 22.5 hours of daylight with the highs in the low 80's F (26-27 C) and the night time lows a nice cool 55 F(13 C).

Jim

Hilton Ralphs
06-23-2013, 7:41 AM
Greeting from Anchorage, where we have 22.5 hours of daylight with the highs in the low 80's F (26-27 C) and the night time lows a nice cool 55 F(13 C).

Wow! Sounds like the perfect summer's day. Perhaps the ICC should consider playing cricket Test matches in your part of the world. No going off for the light.

Currently in the middle of winter here in Johannesburg where the high is about 21° and sunny. Still wearing shorts during the day.

Sorry off-topic.

Winton Applegate
06-23-2013, 4:34 PM
Nah Dude, Nah

Hi Derek,

Sound familiar ?

FIRST OFF LET ME SAY
Derek is the greatest and everybody who has not seen his saw review will, I think, really enjoy seeing it :
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/GramercyDovetailSaw.html

As far as the BU back bevel thing . . .
I would like to agree to Strongly disagree and move on to the other delights that this chat room and your blog so abundantly offer.